• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:yay:yay for Mac!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

:yay Glad he is doing so well. FCE is a weird thing...some recover fully...some recover partially...some don't recover at all. Since he has shown such a huge improvement in such a short period of time, he has a good chance of making a full recovery. :goodluck I was worried Koda wouldn't be a 100% after her recovery totally flatlined for about 1-2 weeks (with the left hind still knuckling). But she did eventually so if that happens with Mac...keep your hopes up! Definitely get acupuncture...it did wonders for her! I also put her on a herbal joint medication during that time as well as Metacam because her right side was getting really sore from compensating for the paralysis on the left side. After each acupuncture treatment she would almost bounce around the yard in pure joy...then stop and knuckle over. I had to limit her activity right after acupuncture cuz she would feel so good and get a 'high' that I was worried she would hurt herself. She would walk almost normal right after treatment...in the first hour or so. It was amazing!

As for getting your 10 yrs back....I hear ya. I was hysterical too. i was wiping her feet off from outside and then she suddenly lost her balance and started to slowly fall over. I let go of her foot so she could balance herself but it knuckled over and she slid down on to the floor laying there on her side...left limbs stiff as a board. Her eyes watched my cat walk by so I knew mentally she was still there but she couldn't use her limbs! It was soooo beyond frightening. I had to get my roommate to help me load her into the truck and I raced to the vet to have them tell me she may never recover. I remember driving back home with this 4 year old baby who was just starting to come out of her shell...thinking I might have to put her to sleep because she couldn't stand. I cried all the way home...it was horrid! But thankfully, she made a full recovery and is a happy 7 year old now. :)

Sending positive vibes for Mac. :hope:goodluck

If you need to talk or want anymore info on FCE, feel free to fire me a PM.

Here is Koda with her grippie socks. This was about 2 weeks post the intial FCE so as you can see she was standing really well on her own. But without the grippy socks and the carpet...she would have most certainly gone down.

Ah yes...the humiliation. :P (FCE occurred just before Christmas)

Dec_27_2005_011x.jpg

Dec_27_2005_015x.jpg

Edited by meakah

I too am so glad to hear that Mac is doing better. It's hard to see him be unwell when he's usually full of helpful hints & general good cheer. Many good thoughts going out to all of you. :kiss2

(But, pssst, Mac - make sure you don't grow any funny growths on your head like Koda! :reindeer:D)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

wow, I missed this whole thing, but am soooo happy that Mac is doing better :yay :yay :yay

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Alan suffered with FCE and was completely paralyzed in his hind legs. It was a traumatic time for him and for us. He has since regained the use of his right hind leg and 75% use of his left (he still knuckles under sometimes and he has absolutely no toe nails left on that foot.) My Mom says he walks like Quasimoto :P He can not go up stairs at all so he and I have come to an agreement, since I can not carry him up and the stairs I "wheel barrel" him up the stairs...I grab his rear haunches and he uses his front legs to climb the stairs as I carry his hind end up after him! It sounds awkward but it works! He's happy and I don't hurt my back lifting him!

The other thing that really helped him regain use of his legs was hydrotherapy! He went 2 times a week to walk on the underwater treadmill. I took video of each and every session so we could go back and review and the difference before and after was amazing!

Best of luck to Mac!

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

How is Mac doing? Hoping no news is good news....

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis