Foster Or Put To Sleep

Guest 4gryhnds

Guest 4gryhnds

:sad1 Rocky just turned 13. Rocky is a beautiful boy who loves to ride in the car, eat, sleep, and get a lot of petting. Rocky still sees well, and hears well. Rocky's mind is still very good. Rocky's problem is that he cannot handle the stairs in my home anymore. I struggle with having a love put to sleep when they appear to have quality of life left in them. It has never been a hard decision for me. All of the dogs that I have ever had put to sleep have been in pain and discomfort that could no longer be relieved. Rocky is not there. He has been on Rimadyl and blood pressure for several years now. His eyes are still bright, he does not seem to be in pain. He has spinal degeneration which is causing his back end to not work as well as it used to. With the exception of not being able to handle stairs anymore, he looks very good for his age.

I emailed Ellen at GPA to ask if she knew anyone who could foster him for the rest of his life. Gary and I work full time. Rocky can hardly make it up the stairs to use our doggie door. He now barks at the bottom of the stairs when he wants to come up. There is no way to get around our house without using the stairs. The thought of having him euthanized makes me crazy. Am I nuts to think that someone would take him? He is such a sweet boy. I think he could adapt easily to a loving home. He loves people.

I would like to know if this is impossible to ask of someone? I know how difficult it is to take in older dogs, I have taken in several. I know that a person can fall in love with these guys upon first sight. I need some help here. I really struggle with this. I know Rocky cannot get along in our home much longer. It is gut wrenching.

Thanks for any feed back,

Sue

Guest GiJenn51

What style is your home? I bet sleeping on his own isn't an issue. I'll have an answer when I know the living situation with stairs. Is is the outside stairs?

Wow, I just want to warn you, this posting may get you a lot of flames. Good luck.

I've read of people who use a towel as a sling to help their dog walk up the stairs. could you do something like that for him? i can't imagine giving away your pet because he is having difficulty with the stairs. there has got to be another solution.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

If it's an issue of the stairs to the doggie door during the day while you're at work, can't you baby gate him upstairs so he has access to the outside? You can use a sling when you're at home. I just know there has to be a better solution than rehoming a 13 year old who I'm sure would love to spend the rest of his days in the home he knows.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest DeweytheGreyt
Wow, I just want to warn you, this posting may get you a lot of flames. Good luck.

I've read of people who use a towel as a sling to help their dog walk up the stairs. could you do something like that for him? i can't imagine giving away your pet because he is having difficulty with the stairs. there has got to be another solution.

I would second the sling suggestion. Sure it is an inconvenience to have to sling up the dog every time he needs to go up or down stairs, but I just can't imagine rehoming a dog that has enjoyed so many happy years with me and given unconditional love simply because due to his old age he has become "inconvenient". Every situation is different, best of luck with your decision!

I'm sorry to hear you have to make those kind of choices. I'd like to think there is someone willing to do that. I'd say try and look to find him another home.

Guest boondog
If it's an issue of the stairs to the doggie door during the day while you're at work, can't you baby gate him upstairs so he has access to the outside? You can use a sling when you're at home. I just know there has to be a better solution than rehoming a 13 year old who I'm sure would love to spend the rest of his days in the home he knows.

I agree. There has to be another way.

Guest boondog

Exactly how is your house arranged? There are lots of people on GT who have done things to accomodate their dogs. With some specifics, they might be able to help you.

An "easy" answer like ramps or babygating would be ideal. My guess is that Sue has already thought of these options. It is certainly worth mentioning them in hopes that at least one of us can come up with a different idea.

So, back to the OP....

Sue, I don't know if Rocky could be easily placed. He certainly sounds like a love, and it is obvious how much pain you're in to even have to consider euthanization. I applaud you for hoping that you can rehome him. In the meantime, my heart goes out to you as you work to find a workable answer that is gentle on both you and Rocky.

I am very sorry that you are having to make this decision, but I could never ever let go of one of my babies after they had spent their whole retirement life with me. That is heart breaking, is their not some way you can baby gate or like other people said use a sling? Also if this is the only problem please don't put him down, I am sure their is some way... some how you can get around this.... Praying for a solution. :hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest LokisMom

If we could get specifics on your home, we could offer more advice. I have accommodated my home for an older dog (we live in a bi -level) and could give some advice if I knew exactly what the issue was. I don't want to waste time suggesting a bunch of stuff you have already thought of.

Guest 4gryhnds

:sad1As far as I can see, our home is impossible to work with. It is an old Milwaukee bungalow. Narrow stairs up from the basement-small landing-narrow stairs into living space. No room for a ramp. We work full time. When we are home, we can assist Rocky. I either use my arms or a sling. When we are not home, he is on his own. He has dignity. I truly believe that if he had to pee and poop in the house, it would devastate him. This is not a choice I want to make. Please don't think that this is a matter of convenience. It is not. I love Rocky very much. I believe that his quality of life would quickly deteriorate because of his inability to do stairs. If I were to re-home him, it would definitely not be because I want to "dump" him. I will continue to pay for his medications. If he could not adjust in a short period of time, I would bring him home and then make a decision. As for a vet......he is the one that has told me about the deterioration. Gary and I are not able to afford more testing. I could try therapy, but like many, our financial situation is very bad. I appreciate all that has been said. I am sorry that so many of you think I am wrong for thinking about re-homing him. I do not want to be so negative, but, I do not feel as if I have many options for Rocky.

I guess you were right. Well, it is already out there. I guess I got off on the wrong foot. All this makes me feel so sad.

A little more information would be good. What has led you to believe fostering Rocky or putting him down are the only two options you have? We would love to help, but your post is a bit vague.

Hi, please see my next post, this may put a bit more light on the subject.

Thanks

Guest LokisMom

Where is the dog door? Why does Rocky need to do stairs? Is there some reason he cannot stay on the same level of the house as the dog door? I still cannot picture what you are talking about.

So If I understand your lay out, you have stairs from the basement and then more stairs to the upstairs living space. Can't you baby gate him upstairs so he has access to the doggie door? I would think a baby gate at the top of the stairs would enable him to have access to the upstairs living space in your home thereby enabling him to get to the doggie door.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest DeweytheGreyt

I guess I'm confused about the house layout. Is there a reason that he has to use the stairs to the basement? We really do want to help. I know that this is a terrible decision for you to make, but lots of folks here have been through similar situations and may be able to offer ideas.

I apologize also. I just am not understanding the problem I guess. I wish you and Rocky the very best. Rocky would most certainly be welcome to live out his days with us if there was no other option for him and you were MUCH closer. In my mind, there has to be another way. Good luck!

:hope prayers for a suitable outcome

WOW what a tough call................

You obviously (reading between the lines) adore your greyhound and want what's best for him.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest celticfairiemom

I think what she means is the dog door is on the landing? between the staircases at the front door? From the sounds of it the landing is too small to allow for a dog bed and his water dish - and too small a space to be closed in for the work day? Are there any other doors that maybe a neighbor child could use to walk Rocky for you - or to just let him out while you are at work? good luck