A Terrible Second Day Of Ownership Of My New Gh Kitty

Guest pedalmasher

Guest pedalmasher

:eek I was in the dog park with Kitty who I have had for less than two days. She was really showing off running a high rates of speed, etc. At one point she tried to reverse direction while running quite fast. She came up lame, and her outermost toe on her left rear leg was sticking out sideways. It appeared to me to be dislocated.

I took her to the vet where she was just a doll as they examined her. They are going to X-ray her and sedate her, and attempt to put the toe in its proper position. They are a Greyhound friendly hospital so they know the caveats.

Unfortunately, the vet told me that often with that kind of toe injury there is permanent ligament damage and the toe will often not stay in the proper position. She mentioned the possibility (if it does not work) of amputating the toe. There was also mention of another possible operation where they put a plate in there to strengthen the area.

I Just want to see my beautiful Kitty prancing along again with her beautiful gate!

2981489387_79803204aa_m.jpg

Guest dwolfe711

So sorry this happened to Kitty - our Apollo (12yo) did the same thing last Saturday a week ago - he is now in a splint and soft cast. His ligament was torn and so they don't know if the toe will stay in position after we remove the splint/cast. If it does not, we will have to have the toe amputated. We've seen lots of greys with amputated toes over the 15 years we've been involved with greyhound adoption. They walk and run just fine without a toe - just as the tripods do after loss of a leg!! I hope amputation is not necessary for Kitty or Apollo. Best of luck with your new girl - welcome to the wonderful world of greyhound adoption.

Donna

Athena had the same accident about three months after we adopted her. Our vet sedated her and reset the toe. Her foot was bandaged for four weeks and leash walks only for eight weeks. (Fortunately winter was starting to settle in and she wasn't really interested in being outside in the cold.)

We have had no problems with that toe since the accident (October 2004).

Fingers crossed your Kitty heals well.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Zema did the same thing a year or two back. The toe has never dislocated again. Vet popped hers back in without sedating her. I did wrap it for stability and keep her from running on it for ?6? weeks.

Hugs and best luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry that Kitty and Apollo are having this problem. It can happen so quickly. Our Tasha has dislocated the same toe twice in four years. The first time I was able to move it back into place myself. The second time she had a soft cast for a few days after they sedated her and moved it back into position. That was two years ago and so far there have been no further problems. The toe is slightly "swollen" looking than those around it but she runs, walks and jumps with no problems. We were also told about the possibility of the toe amputation if the situation gets worse.

Good luck with your pups - I hope they have an easy resolution.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Ruby dislocated her toe awhile back. My DH popped it back into place (under threat of vet bills! :lol) and it hasn't cause her a bit of trouble since.

Hopefully Kitty will have the same experience. :)

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest EmbersDad

ember lost a toe and it didnt affect her one bit. it was an outside toe and not weight bearing. ember is also a tripod. hope kitty heals fast and is ok.

Hope pretty girl Kitty feels better soon!

Buck is msising a toe with no ill effects. No WAY in the world would I plate a toe -- though it seems it is being suggested with alarming regularity by some vets -- perhaps because it is lot of $$$$.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest pedalmasher
So sorry this happened to Kitty - our Apollo (12yo) did the same thing last Saturday a week ago - he is now in a splint and soft cast. His ligament was torn and so they don't know if the toe will stay in position after we remove the splint/cast. If it does not, we will have to have the toe amputated. We've seen lots of greys with amputated toes over the 15 years we've been involved with greyhound adoption. They walk and run just fine without a toe - just as the tripods do after loss of a leg!! I hope amputation is not necessary for Kitty or Apollo. Best of luck with your new girl - welcome to the wonderful world of greyhound adoption.

Donna

Donna, just out of curiosity, when they do amputate an outside rear toe, do they typically return to that beautiful, bouncy, GH gate? Or do they wind up with a permanent limp? I would sure miss seeing that, but all that matters is that Kitty can finally settle down from all of her recent trauma. Fortunately (in this case), she has not been eating so they were able to get on with the procedure right away. I pick her up in about 45 minutes, and have my fngers crossed. I wish I could substitute for her, but alas, it doesn't work that way. I have seen many tripods doing quite well, so I'm sure the lack of a toe won't be a major thing.

I can certainly personally relate. Three years ago I sufferred a very serious neck fracture (C1 cervical vertebrae which is typically results in an immediate fatality in 50% of the cases) while engaged in a bicycle race. I spent 5 months in a stiff neck brace and came back to win 8 state cycling championships since the fracture and set numerous state records. Hopefully my little Kitty will be as fortunate.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Outside toes are non-weight bearing so don't affect the gait as much to my understanding.

Sadie is missing a middle toe on her rear right leg. She only limps occasionally (when something gets stuck in the area or something like that) and otherwise is a happy, bouncy, beautiful girl.

Kisses to Kitty!

Guest pedalmasher
Hope pretty girl Kitty feels better soon!

Buck is msising a toe with no ill effects. No WAY in the world would I plate a toe -- though it seems it is being suggested with alarming regularity by some vets -- perhaps because it is lot of $$$$.

After my answer to Donna I read on, and thanks for all the well wishes and info on positive outcomes with missing toes. Actually, I think I am suffering more than Kitty. I don't do very well when I see animals injured.

Just so I have some ammunition for discussion, what is your rationale for not being positive about a plated toe? I just want some information should this come up in my forthcoming discussion with the vet.

Again, thanks for all the support wishes. This is a wonderful support mechanism, and I have been rather depressed since the incident. You guys are helping me return to normal!

BTW, the below snap shot was taken when I returned to bicycle racing after healing from my broken neck - it took 9 months of misery! The picture was taken right after winning the Florida State Road Race Championships, so I know one can return from a seemingly disasterous incident! As an aside, I really relate to Greyhounds from a physical standpoint. The last time my body fat percentage was measured it was 3.9% Also, I have a skinny waist and a 42 inch chest, so I feel an extra kinship to the breed. Had I been born as a dog, it would assuredly have been as a GH!! :colgate

526879679_230ae3189a_m.jpg

Guest SueG201

Don't worry if they have to amputate the toe, I have lots of friends with coursing greyhounds

that have lost toes, and it does not slow them down one bit. Greys love to run and yeah they

get hurt, do not beat yourself up over this, be happy she did not break a leg, that is always

my fear w hen my senior grey lets it rip in the dog park with her wh ippet sister

Don't worry if they have to amputate the toe, I have lots of friends with coursing greyhounds

that have lost toes, and it does not slow them down one bit. Greys love to run and yeah they

get hurt, do not beat yourself up over this, be happy she did not break a leg, that is always

my fear w hen my senior grey lets it rip in the dog park with her wh ippet sister

Plating a toe: Never heard of doing that. I'm probably imagining things :lol , but I'm not quite sure how you'd plate a toe and hope to retain any flexibility. There just is not a lot of room for extra stuff there, and there's a lot of stress. My bet is that you'd end up having problems with the plate working thru the skin and/or egregious scar tissue and/or eventually losing the toe to infection. Better to amputate if the toe won't stay put.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest pedalmasher

Thanks for the input Sue, and Batmom those are certainly great points regarding the toe plating.

All of you guys that have responded to this thread have brought me down from a frenzy to being reasonably calm.

Understand, that I was an airline pilot by profession, and I have 657 skydives so I am not the kind of guy who is anything but calm in an emergency. Having said that, all bets are off when my dog is invovled!! :colgate

Did the vet say why they felt the need to sedate her and do X rays to put the toe back in place? Do they fear that it is broken? It just seems to me that sedation and Xrays are a bit extreme for what could be an easily and quickly dealt with situation

I have had two experiences with dislocated toes and both were outside toes. The first time it was an outside toe on a rear leg and the vet (who was rather inexperienced) merely wrapped it and told me to leave the wrap on for 2 wks. I had the good sense to remove the wrap after 3 days and I found bone protruding from the pad. At that point the toe had to be amputated.

The second time it was the the outer toe on the other rear leg. This time I just gently manipulated it and the toe popped back into place and my dog didn't even as much as whimper. He continued on his merry way and the toe never dislocated again.

I just don't understand putting a dog through the whole sedation/Xray thing w/o at least trying to put the toe back in place and wrapping it first.

Hope your little gal heals with no further problems! Congratulations...she is gorgeous! :wub:

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest pedalmasher
Did the vet say why they felt the need to sedate her and do X rays to put the toe back in place? Do they fear that it is broken? It just seems to me that sedation and Xrays are a bit extreme for what could be an easily and quickly dealt with situation

I have had two experiences with dislocated toes and both were outside toes. The first time it was an outside toe on a rear leg and the vet (who was rather inexperienced) merely wrapped it and told me to leave the wrap on for 2 wks. I had the good sense to remove the wrap after 3 days and I found bone protruding from the pad. At that point the toe had to be amputated.

The second time it was the the outer toe on the other rear leg. This time I just gently manipulated it and the toe popped back into place and my dog didn't even as much as whimper. He continued on his merry way and the toe never dislocated again.

I just don't understand putting a dog through the whole sedation/Xray thing w/o at least trying to put the toe back in place and wrapping it first.

I was too much in a frenzy to even ask! I have seen major dislocations on people easily put back into place, and I was tempted to try, but I was so afraid to hurt her. I am about to go pick her up so I will know more in a few minutes. And Pat, thanks for the above note before this one!

Tip, my male GH, just went through this over the summer, and while it was definitely no fun, he's healing up just fine. He dislocated an inner rear toe (weight bearing) while lure coursing, so amputation was a measure of last resort. He had stretched the ligament so badly though, you could've tied a bow with it :rolleyes: . Seven weeks in a splint and soft cast and a few more weeks of easy walks. He's doing pretty good now and does zoomies with the other hounds, and does his happy dance all the time. The vet did warn me, though, that if the toe won't stay put we'd have to look at surgery to tighten that ligament.