Kibble Toppings?

Guest Gemma

Turkey breast cut up in to small pieces, Jack Mackeral from a can, Parmesan cheese, hard boiled eggs (my girls don't really like scambled), tiny bits of cheese, 2 T. Natural Balance Venison & Sweet Potato or Duck & Potato, hamburger

made on the grill crumbled up into small bits. :chow

All of the above, are thoroughly mixed into the kibble with warm water :)

Oh, their new treats made by Vitalife, Duck jerky strips crumbled up and mixed in!

:whisper you will find me on another thread asking how to stop having to do this :rolleyes:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack has always been a picky eater, he would eat fine for a while then quit eating (or eat very little) until we changed the type of kibble we were giving him. He just seemed to get bored with it. Constandy finding a new kibble that worked for him and that he liked was not fun. Our grandaughter came to visit and left partial jars of baby food that we decided to try. He loved it. So we started putting a tablespoon on top of his kibble for variety. That seemed to solve his variety problem and has been pretty inexpensive. We add other leftovers at times, or nothing at all and havent changed kibble for a long time. Quannah loves food and will eat anything, so he gets a little of whatever Jack is getting, just because.

Guest greytexplorer

Tonight I made chowder for dinner, so the gyrls got about 1/4 cup of it added to their kibble. nomnomnom

Last night they got the rest of the brunswick stew that DH made added to their kibble.

There is okra in the stew, and the gyrls even eat that! :puke I hate okra.

As long as the veggies are cooked, they eat them.

Pumpkin and yogurt are good ideas for add-ons.

Bon appetit! :chow

Thanks for all the new ideas! We actually gave him baby food that we had left over in the fridge, and he loved it. He used to only eat his kibble wet but he will now eat it dry, and I really do think it's because Pro Plan is just nicer than what he had before.

I have some chicken that needs eating up so guess who is getting little bits of shredded chicken tonight? :) I actually think he's lost a little weight since he has come to us, and his coat is much more silky-soft so hopefully we're doing something right!

Guest AaronsMom

We do a few of the things mentioned... I add just a very little on top of the kibble. But one easy thing is I buy a jar of sodium free HerbOx chicken broth powder - only 1/4 or even less of a tsp. in 1/4 cup water, micro for 20 seconds, makes a warm broth to stir over the kibble...

My guys LOOOVE a spoon or 2 of spaghetti sauce when I cook it, and the skins from the chicken in homemade chicken soup, they start bothering me when they first smell it cooking now, the 'juice of tuna cans', 1 TBSP of canned dog food, 2 TBSP of yoghurt, plain, no fat, water mixed in a pan where meat has been cooked, like hamburgers, and heated a little, And wasn't there a product on the market that was a bottle of flavoring for dog food? I used that once or 2x.

Khan is the first grey we have had that was picky. He is also the only one that has never been on a track.

If going away, I'd get the bottles stuff, sorry, I don't remember the brand.

Nan

Opie gets warm water mixed in the kibble (Costco Lamb and Rice which he loves) He also gets canned salmon, sardines, or a little bit or whatever is left over from the night before. I also make a big tray of meatloaf for him, consisting of turkey, beef, lamb, or whatever ground meat is on sale. I mix in egg, a bit of ketchup and worchester sauce, maybe a bit of rice or bread crumbs and bake. Then I cut into small squares and freeze in little baggies. (Usually lasts about 2-3 weeks) I put one in the microwave to thaw, and then mix in his kibble for dinner. He has NEVER turned down Mommy's meatloaf.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest Tenderhearts

Green beans, sardines, a bit of pasta sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, mackerel, canned salmon. :)

DeVon-who runs a daily canine buffet at her house :blink::lol

Guest RocketDog

mine get little bits of whatever I eat, but NOT as part of their meal. I feed raw, though, and never have a problem with them eating every last bit.

When I fed kibble, tuna (or just the juice from a can I was preparing for myself) eggs, cooked bits of meat, grated cheese... all went into the kibble bowls as toppers.

Guest greytsox
Not having read any responses (and admittedly only partially your initial post), I wouldn't add anything. You start doing that and you CREATE a picky eater.

Treats in between meals, on the other hand... are an entirely different subject :gmark

I see your point, but I disagree. I don't believe kibble is a 'complete diet' so I would be adding different things to his dinner just to make sure he's getting a varied, healthy diet, regardless of whether he was turning his nose up or not. Plus, most people I know add a little something to their pups kibble (usually yoghurt, which is why I am asking for more ideas) and don't seem to be having problems with their pups suddenly becoming fussy. I also don't like to supplement beyond things like glucosamine; I'd rather add fresh/cooked food to get added vits/mins in my pets. Even my reptiles only get a calcium supplement. ;)

For treats (when training), he gets the dry kind and whatever I have on hand. Peanut butter is a beloved favourite!

If your looking for a more "complete diet" maybe you should be looking for a higher quaility diet all together (higher quaility kibble or raw).. And I have to ask why are you cooking your veggies and cooking eggs? By cooking the veggies your just cooking the nutrients out of them and they aren't really benifitting nutritionally from the veggies. My boy eats raw eggs all of the time shell and all. Additionally, if you really want to get the full nutritional value from fruits and veggies you would need to put them through a food processor to break the cell walls. Dogs aren't able to do that in digestion. So, if your adding veggies just for flavor fine but if your looking for nutrition I wouldn't cook anything and run it through the food processor 1st. My boy gets eggs, spinich, carrots, broc, squash,cucumber,green peppers,green beans(in moderation tends to give gas) bannana,apple,pear,cheese, cottage cheese,yogurt among other things.

Plus, I know how much greys LOVE a schedule but a schedule with feeding is not recommended. I made that mistake when we adopted ours. It then got to the point where he would wake us up at 530am on our days off just to feed him. If you change it daily they won't be expecting it at a specific time. And in return you won't become a slave to your dog!! It is recommended in several books that I've read that even skipping a meal now and then is a good idea so you don't become a slave to your dog.

Guest LokisMom
Not having read any responses (and admittedly only partially your initial post), I wouldn't add anything. You start doing that and you CREATE a picky eater.

Treats in between meals, on the other hand... are an entirely different subject :gmark

Sorry I have to agree with this. He's right, I have my very own picky eater that I created to prove it.

If your looking for a more "complete diet" maybe you should be looking for a higher quaility diet all together (higher quaility kibble or raw).. And I have to ask why are you cooking your veggies and cooking eggs? By cooking the veggies your just cooking the nutrients out of them and they aren't really benifitting nutritionally from the veggies. My boy eats raw eggs all of the time shell and all. Additionally, if you really want to get the full nutritional value from fruits and veggies you would need to put them through a food processor to break the cell walls. Dogs aren't able to do that in digestion. So, if your adding veggies just for flavor fine but if your looking for nutrition I wouldn't cook anything and run it through the food processor 1st. My boy gets eggs, spinich, carrots, broc, squash,cucumber,green peppers,green beans(in moderation tends to give gas) bannana,apple,pear,cheese, cottage cheese,yogurt among other things.

Plus, I know how much greys LOVE a schedule but a schedule with feeding is not recommended. I made that mistake when we adopted ours. It then got to the point where he would wake us up at 530am on our days off just to feed him. If you change it daily they won't be expecting it at a specific time. And in return you won't become a slave to your dog!! It is recommended in several books that I've read that even skipping a meal now and then is a good idea so you don't become a slave to your dog.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post but we're fostering our dog, Peyton, and as a result we feed him what our group offers. Pro Plan isn't a bad kibble by any means, and he's looking much healthier to me since he has settled here and got onto a new food. If he were our forever hound, we'd be feeding raw, but as a foster dog it is easier for his new home if he is used to kibble, and it also means that we can keep our overhead costs down, which in turn allows us to continue fostering dogs. I can't work until my greencard comes through so we need to save as much money as possible. Even if we were to splurge on premium kibble, I don't believe that any kibble is a 'complete diet'. Mammals have varying needs on a day to day basis, and to claim that a single food with fixed nutritional values is ALWAYS sufficient is something I do not buy. Personal opinion, here, of course. ;) So I like to supplement with varied food options, as opposed to vitamin/mineral pills.

It's also worth noting that although cooking does break down some nutrients, you do not 'cook the nutrients out of them'. If that were the case, we'd all have scurvy by now. I will gladly feed some raw vegs/fruits to our boy, but he gets cooked when we do. :)

I have to disagree with the schedule feeding, too. I've fed a lot of dogs before (used to feed 20 when I was in the UK), and I never had a problem with dogs 'demanding' anything. I find it impossible to stick to a 'strict' schedule, even when I was at the rescue, and the meal times will vary by an hour or so, but I am happy with his morning and evening feeds, and he never gets pushy about it. I certainly won't skip a meal unless any dog in our care indicates he isn't hungry.

Sorry I have to agree with this. He's right, I have my very own picky eater that I created to prove it.

I'm starting to think he was 'mislabeled', so to speak, as fussy. Since he has settled here, he eats like a champ! I've never seen a less food orientated dog, but he's gone from being a little fuss monster, to eating whatever is put in front of him, including dry kibble. :) As long as this continues, he'll continue to get extras stirred into his meals, but I'll certainly change tactics if he ever starts being a little fusspot. I think he was just 'fussy' because of all the upheaval in his life (he's a return and was in a home for 3 years).

Guest greytsox

Ok maybe I should of said you lose some of the nutrients rather than you cook the nutrients out of the veggies. Of course there is some nutrients left when it's cooked but for the full value it would be best to give it crushed and raw.

Reguards to the skipping a meal now and then, it was in Dr. Billinghurst's book and others.. I'm not saying that you "have to" do it, I'm just stating what I read about it.. I know my grey was like a time machine and would wake us up at 530 every morning to eat. He skips a meal every once in a while and hes fine with it.

Guest 20PawsinAlaska
Opie gets warm water mixed in the kibble (Costco Lamb and Rice which he loves) He also gets canned salmon, sardines, or a little bit or whatever is left over from the night before. I also make a big tray of meatloaf for him, consisting of turkey, beef, lamb, or whatever ground meat is on sale. I mix in egg, a bit of ketchup and worchester sauce, maybe a bit of rice or bread crumbs and bake. Then I cut into small squares and freeze in little baggies. (Usually lasts about 2-3 weeks) I put one in the microwave to thaw, and then mix in his kibble for dinner. He has NEVER turned down Mommy's meatloaf.

Can I just say, YUMMY!!! I'm gonna have to try this.

My Jack Jack and the girls get a "stir-in" with each meal. The idea comes straight from the book "Adopting The Racing Greyhound". I've cut back the kibble (Canidae) to supplement with the fresh.

Each Sunday I make a batch which is a cooked meat, rice and veggies. Living in AK- gives us great access to salmon but I've used ground beef (rinsed and drained) and turkey too. I switch between white and brown rice and every once in awhile I'll add pasta instead. I do frozen veggies such as broccoli, peas, carrots, parsley, green beans and cauliflower and sometimes fruit such as berries, apples or pears. I keep an eye out for sales too and buy in bulk when I can. I mix maybe add a little garlic and then freeze in smaller portions. Jack gets a 1 cup 2x a day + 1/4 of yogurt and his supplement.

Fridays are TRIPE Fridays!! Yummy. And Sundays are Turkey Neck Sundays!! And when they've been really good or I'm feeling guilty, then they have chicken feet.

Ok maybe I should of said you lose some of the nutrients rather than you cook the nutrients out of the veggies. Of course there is some nutrients left when it's cooked but for the full value it would be best to give it crushed and raw.

Reguards to the skipping a meal now and then, it was in Dr. Billinghurst's book and others.. I'm not saying that you "have to" do it, I'm just stating what I read about it.. I know my grey was like a time machine and would wake us up at 530 every morning to eat. He skips a meal every once in a while and hes fine with it.

I remember reading about that, and it was in the context of 'feast and famine', I think. I believe Dr Billinghurst mentions it in the context of sort of refreshing the bowels, right? I am trying to remember here, it's been a while since I read it! I think that can certainly work when you're feeding raw because the nature of the diet allows you to adjust the amount of food given depending on your dog's needs per day (which is one of the reasons I really like raw feeding) but I am not sure how well it would work with kibble and, really, if my pup is hungry, he gets fed. :) Whenever he isn't hungry, we just pick up his bowl and leave it at that. I trust his instincts.

• 2 years later...
Guest JJGrey

canned fish such as jack mackerel, salmon, or sardines go over well here.

I bought canned fish but worry about the bones. Do you fish them out first? Pun NOT intended! ;)

Guest davidsl88

For an occasional treat (and sometimes when they go off their food), my boys love chicken livers, boiled, cut into pieces and sprinkled on top the kibble. They also LOVE ricotta cheese (low-fat, which I also use to hide medication). Steamed broccoli is a favorite. Occasionally I buy chicken 'guts' (as Hub calls it), which I cook and cut up. Whatever I use, I always add either broth or warm water. Have fun!

Guest Swifthounds

:nod. Yep. Made, not born.

Guest 2dogs4cats

When my girl won't eat anything, I mix raw egg, raw ground beef and Total cereal together and sprinkle it on her food. Just about the only thing that works 90% of the time. (she is a kidney dog, so that's what makes her so picky)

Here's what I've tried with Bernie!

- Boiled sweet potato chunks

- Boiled carrots

- Frozen peas

- Blueberries

- Banana slices

- Yogurt

- Cottage cheese

- Shredded cheddar cheese

- Moist dog food

- Scrambled eggs

- Sliced-up hard-boiled eggs

- Diced hot dog pieces

- Hot dog smoothie drizzled on top! (Put hot dogs and nonfat yogurt together in a blender!)

And the winner...

- Handful of raw hamburger meat split into small chunks

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest BassoonMo

Several people have mentioned adding warm water to the dry food. I've always added water to the food, but I use cold. Does water temperature make a difference? Also, sometimes Easy doesn't eat all of his food right away and I worry that the soggy food will go bad just sitting out. Is that even an issue?

Monique'

I don't do it everyday but Maddie loves tuna fish (so much that when I rinse the can and leave it in the sink, she gets it out and makes sure it is clean LOL) and sugar free applesauce. and cheese. I can't open the cheese drawer without her hearing me.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Bella gets her kibble with a little water (so she doesn't choke on it), salmon oil in the am for her seasonally dry skin and a spoonful of yogurt because DH is convinced it makes her gas issues better.

She'll occasionally miss the yogurt (when I've forgotten to buy more) and will occasionally get pumpkin (if I've just made up a batch of kongs), veggies, shredded chicken, etc - if my feeding her coincides with cooking, she'll sometimes get a little something in her bowl. Her body language is really funny when she encounters something extra in her bowl - "ooh, wow, something extra!" - more because I like to indulge her than anything else. She's never had a problem with finishing her kibble nor being a picky eater.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest LokisMom

canned fish such as jack mackerel, salmon, or sardines go over well here.

I bought canned fish but worry about the bones. Do you fish them out first? Pun NOT intended! ;)

We just opened the can and dumped it in their bowl. They ate canned fish 2 times a week or so back when we fed raw and we never had a problem with fish bones. I don't remember the specifics but I think they are small or soft or something. It's been a few years.