Roo Has Lumbo Sacral Stenosis

Guest WarmheartedPups

Have had some experience of accupuncture with my Tess, who had snapped a ligament in her spine (the synovial fluid escaped and put pressure on the spinal chord) she was put on PLT's and was rested, had light exercise (which she dictated how much) thus had a quality of life for many many years.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest esor0908

My girl Chloe was diagnosed with lumbar sacral stenosis 18 months ago. At times I have been very anxious and unable to sleep at night when she has been really bad with it.

It started off with a limp in her left hind leg, and the leg got worse if I leg her exercise. It's so hard to stop her going for walks because she just loves to run and she is so happy running, it's her passion. But I have had to restrict her to two ten minutes walks a day.

Currently, she is taking 300mg of gabapentin every day and now she has become used to reduced exercise. She has 4 cats to keep her company and I think this helps.

She has had lots of tests to make sure the diagnosis is correct and she will have her 2nd MRI scan in two weeks and an operation on her spine to follow within the next two months. I feel that this operation is her only chance of improving her quality of life and after the op, I need to keep her in a cage at home for a month. I'm sure she will go mad but the veterinary hospital said that she will be sedated so that should help. Greyhounds are like our children, and obviously we want them to be 100% healthy, but life is not like that. I just want to do everything I can for her as she is so precious.

She has had lots of tests to make sure the diagnosis is correct and she will have her 2nd MRI scan in two weeks and an operation on her spine to follow within the next two months. I feel that this operation is her only chance of improving her quality of life and after the op, I need to keep her in a cage at home for a month.

Have you looked at Dr. Stack's website?

You can tell if a dog has LS with a thumb test. Having seen it done on dogs with and without LS it is pretty amazing...and just about free.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Sending my prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Please consider getting a second opinion. Not to rule out the diagnosis so much as to get different advice on treatment. The pred and no-exercise seems wrong to me.

My Chancy had LS, and I was advised by multiple vets (regular vet, chiropractic vet, and acupuncture vet all agreed) that regular exercise was very important. Not all-out running, but daily walks. If walking longer distances becomes problematic, then just walk around the block a few times, as many as she can comfortably take. I was also advised to walk her on slightly uneven ground (grass, snow, etc) to help her focus on her footing. The key is to keep the muscle tone up and keep those nerves firing.

Chiropractic didn't do much for Chancy, but acupuncture definitely helped with flare-ups of pain. We only used pain meds during these flare-ups.

I also supplemented her food with glucosamine, MSM, and fish oil. This actually helped more than I'd thought it would.

Prednisone seems like an odd choice of prescription for LS. The side effects of pred would definitely make me think twice before administering. The side effect of loss of muscle tone alone would make me say no to that one...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Sorry no experience with LS but it looks like you are getting great advice from many that have. Our thoughts are with you and Roo.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 1 month later...
Guest Brigit2hounds

My almost 9 year old boy named Ruben is starting to show signs of LS. My vet tried anti-inflammatory meds, not working though. I'm printing out the article from the Doctor many of you mentioned before for my vet to read. I am hoping that we can try shots to ease the unsteadiness. I noticed some slight dragging of feet about 3 months ago, just attributed it to clumsiness. Then he's done a few "splits" with legs going opposite directions on the tile (whole house is tile!). I am worried he'll do that when I'm not at home to lift him! It doesn't stop him from running or jumping after the local squirrels that are in the yard, but standing his feet just s-l-i-d-e around like he's on ice! Please keep him in your prayers!

Just a suggestion for those with dogs whose back legs slide/splay on those hard floors. Put rubber-backed carpet pieces or runners in strategic spots especially where the dog has to make a corner. I learned that right after Cullen *walked* a little too fast while turning into the hall from the kitchen. Boy, did he hurt his inner thigh muscles. They actually bled under the skin and he could barely move for 2 days. It was scary-looking.

I went out and bought a half dozen runners that day. He never splayed again! I even had to put one where he stood when eating. He was fine on carpet, thank doG.

Marcia

Linda - I don't know anything about this but just wanted to say you are both in our thoughts and prayers. Sending hugs and scritches and lots of healing prayers.

Guest crazy4greys

My boy Phoenix had LS. He went to the chiropractor and was given Adequan injections. The combined did seem to help. He started to run again.

I highly recommend a chiropractor and acupuncture.

I hope Roo feels better soon. :grouphug

Guest Brigit2hounds
My almost 9 year old boy named Ruben is starting to show signs of LS. My vet tried anti-inflammatory meds, not working though. I'm printing out the article from the Doctor many of you mentioned before for my vet to read. I am hoping that we can try shots to ease the unsteadiness. I noticed some slight dragging of feet about 3 months ago, just attributed it to clumsiness. Then he's done a few "splits" with legs going opposite directions on the tile (whole house is tile!). I am worried he'll do that when I'm not at home to lift him! It doesn't stop him from running or jumping after the local squirrels that are in the yard, but standing his feet just s-l-i-d-e around like he's on ice! Please keep him in your prayers!

UPDATE: I just wanted to say thanks to all of you that replied. I love my boys so much and it's good to see I'm not the only GreyCrazy person around. Ruben and I will be going to the chiropractor tomorrow. I'm also going to be in search of an acupuncturist who will work on animals. I live in SE Florida. If anyone knows of someone I'd be willing to drive, just let me know. I'll keep you all posted, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers! Brigit, Ruben and Preston!!!! :D:D:D

UPDATE: I just wanted to say thanks to all of you that replied. I love my boys so much and it's good to see I'm not the only GreyCrazy person around. Ruben and I will be going to the chiropractor tomorrow. I'm also going to be in search of an acupuncturist who will work on animals. I live in SE Florida. If anyone knows of someone I'd be willing to drive, just let me know. I'll keep you all posted, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers! Brigit, Ruben and Preston!!!! :D:D:D

Search for a Vet here.

I go here:

NANCY KELLER , DVM CVA,CVH,

HEALING HEART, INC.

208 N.E. 3RD STREET

BOYNTON BEACH , FL 33435

Phone: 561-547-8277

Fax: 561-740-0819

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Is there some reason Roo can't have the LS treatment (the lumbar shot) described by Dr Stack? It's my understanding that when it's gonna work, it works quickly.

Marcia

Buddy will be 12 in January and he has had LSS now for about two years. He is on Previcox for arthritis and nothing else for the LSS. I have tried giving him Tramadol, but it makes him loopy and he seems to have less control over his legs when he is on it. The only times his legs have splayed out in the rear was when he was on the Tramadol, otherwise he doesn't seem to have too many problems. He doesn't appear to be in pain. He MUST go on his walk with the others but we only walk him one block and he's done. As long as he's out the door, he's happy. It amazes how he sometimes comes bounding across the yard like nothing is wrong. He stopped coming up the stairs to the bedrooms about two years ago and is content to roach on the sofa all night, which is fine with me. Rather him do that than hurt himself trying to come up. When he can no longer stand, he will join his sisters at the Bridge.

Good Luck with Ruben.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

• 5 months later...
Guest greyloverx2

sending along positive thoughts for your pup.

I have a 6 1/2 year old who has LS but it is not yet too bad and he continues to be active. He did have a bit of a mishap with his brother the other day and had a flare up. the vet gave him some mild pain meds and with some rest, he's feeling better. Our guy also has cardiac issues so the LS at this point, is not his biggest problem. Our vet told us she can give him injections when it becomes much worse; as I understand it, these shots will last about 4-6 weeks. In the meantime, we are taking our cues from him.

Good luck with this issue

Lisa,

Jimmy, Fire & kitty Sunday

:gh_run2 :gh_run2

Edited by greyloverx2

Guest ss556

Alan never officially had the diagnosis of LS - and couldn't get the prednisone - so whatever was affecting his knuckling, rear leg weakness etc. was definitely helped by acupuncture. Hoping that Roo is ok and gets better.

Guest nerak254
If your vet is not already familiar with the writings on LSS by Dr. Stack, they should be introduced to her tenets:

www.greyhound-data.com/dir/397/Lumbosacral_Stenosis.pdf

As a side-note, as LSS is an arthritic disease, the stem cell modalities used for managing hip and knee damage (mechanical injury as well as arthritis) *might* find some utility in managing LSS. I called up the company that makes stem cells for this sort of thing, and they said they did not currently manage LSS with stem cells, but there are constantly new trials going on.

It would be fascinating to see if stem cells in the LS joint would improve outlook in the greyhound.

What would we have to do to get them to consider a trial with the hounds? This is what ended up being the final thing for Jessica.

If your vet is not already familiar with the writings on LSS by Dr. Stack, they should be introduced to her tenets:

www.greyhound-data.com/dir/397/Lumbosacral_Stenosis.pdf

Here's a link to Dr. Stack's site: http://www.greythealth.com/

If you scroll down on the left, you'll find the above-mentioned article. She has lots of other good info, too.

My Tammy suffered from LSS, too. I brought Dr. Stack's article to my vet, and they tried it. Unfortunately, Tammy's case was too advanced (and she was almost 14). Good luck to you & Roo. :grouphug

Jessica too. My vet also did some research and found some additional info with things people are trying.

Edited by nerak254