When Is It Time...

Guest lauri

Guest FullMetalFrank
Everyone's comments have validity. However, you have a relationship with Miles that none of us does. That relationship allows you to know when and if it is time to say goodbye to him.

So, be gentle with yourself, choose to love your dog more than you love yourself in this matter, listen closely to him, and, once a decision has been made, don't second guess yourself. You'll know if Miles wants to keep fighting or needs to let go -- just trust yourself.

I think there is a lot of good sense in this advice. No one else but you and your family will really be able to know when it is "time"... Sending hugs and prayers for you and Miles.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not in pain...I can tell you that much.

But last night on one of my checks, he was sleeping on our hard floor next to his bed.

Then when Mike left for work in the morning he was laying on the concrete patio just outside the dog door.

He can walk, though a bit wobbly, when you can help stand him up, but he cannot get up from a laying position. I did see him get up this morning when I asked if he wanted a car ride - one of his favorite things. He was excited to go! And when I came home he was laying in his sand pit outside so obviously he was able to get up.

But tonight I had to help him to stand. He ate LOTS of chicken but almost collapsed from weakness so I walked him to his bed and had him eat there. Then later I had to help him up to go potty.

One thing I have noticed is how his eyes sink in even farther when he chews, but he seems so happy to eat!

And his heartbeat is 'weird'.

This has all been happening so quick it seems.

I've blocked the dog door and he's sleeping next to me in his bed in our room tonight. I'll have to take him to go potty and that's just fine.

I woke up Mike and told him tomorrow may be the day. I just can't let him go on like this and I feel in my heart that it's not getting better.

I know how hard it is to have to make a decision like this :cry1. Huge :grouphug 's to you, lauri---whatever you decide.

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Lauri, I am so sorry. I know how this can tear you apart inside. Whatever you decide all our thoughts will be with you. :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Thinking of you and Mike and your sweetest Miles today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

Lauri and Mike,

Such a painful gift of love is so selfless and so very very hard. I have no answer for you, however, I knew when I was faced with your decision I wanted an answer. I do have prayers and :bighugs for you all. Please know you are not alone here.

:grouphug

:hope

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I'm leaving in a couple of minutes.

Miles was able to get up a few times on his own overnight but had a big 'D' blowout on the floor.

He's now not able to get up on his own again and when asked if he wanted a car ride, he tried to get up, gave up and then wouldn't even assist me in helping him.

I gave him his favorite cookies - they contain wheat which I had him off of for such a long time. He ate a few but wasn't interested anymore. Wouldn't even lift his head for water, so I syringed after.

His main vet, Dr. Diana, is the one seeing him this morning. Maybe she'll give me different news, but I can only pray for the best.

Miles has had a very good life with us. He was ALWAYS happy and loved to play and cuddle. I know we'll miss him terribly, but I'm sure between he and Mike, when were ready to adopt again, we'll come out with another winner!

I know... :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug Thinking of you both.

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am crying for you.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren