Sierra Has No Appetite

Pepcid is a really good idea. The generic is famotidine. When dealing with iffy tummies, I usually give 10mg (one "regular" pepcid) twice a day.

Fingers crossed that she keeps eating!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakfast wasn't so easy. I guess since they usually aren't use to eating in the morning, being offered a turkey burger hot off the grill is not what your expecting. She has to have food with her medication. She ate the turkey burger after I spread a thin coat of peanut butter on it. I also rolled a small ball of peanut butter with NY for her. Maybe the dinner time is when she is most hungry.

Breakfast seems to be less attractive than later meals when they're off their food, it seems. Same is true for my picky eater. I like your idea of rolling the ball of peanut butter with the NY! Sounds yummy! :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest BlackandBrindle
Breakfast wasn't so easy. I guess since they usually aren't use to eating in the morning, being offered a turkey burger hot off the grill is not what your expecting. She has to have food with her medication. She ate the turkey burger after I spread a thin coat of peanut butter on it. I also rolled a small ball of peanut butter with NY for her. Maybe the dinner time is when she is most hungry.

Sadie had been doing really well, but she too has been off her food for two days now. Morning meals used to be the hardest but now she's balking at evening meals too.

Something that seems to be working so far is to make myself something to eat (bland that I would feed her too) and feed her bit by bit. She thinks she's getting a treat that way.

Sending good thoughts for your girl. I know it's frustrating but hopefully it gets better soon!

Sierra's first antigen urine test revealed a low positive. The vet said that this is good. I means that there is a low level of the fungus present. I was glad to hear that news. I am hopeful for a positive outcome from this. She goes in next week for a blood panel to test the liver function since this medication can effect her liver. It also tests how well the medicine is working to.

She had a beef patty and rice for dinner tonight. The green tripe was ripe (all over my computer room carpeting). Thank God I have a steam cleaner.

How's our little girly girl today? :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Ew. Your poor carpet!! :P A steam cleaner sounds like a necessity rather than a luxury! :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're getting her to eat some, anyway. That's good!! Keep eating, and keep it down, girl-doggy!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest LindsaySF

Nutri-Cal paste usually works for Teagan. I put some on his tongue and he has to swallow it, then he usually looks for more. It is high calorie.

Guest Frannie

Hi -

I've nursed a grey through histo (and complete loss of appetite from itraconazole). Try extra calorie Ensure - the drugstore brand is fine - Cole loved the vanilla.

There's also a recipe for fat meatballs - I'll try and find this for you.

Hang in there, I know this is very, very tough. The good news: my pup got well. He's gone now (cancer) but recovered from the histo completely.

Frannie

Good Morning everyone,

Sierra seems not to like to eat very much in the morning. She needs food with her pills though. She will eat a piece or two of turkey lunch meat and she had some of the animal crackers that I was eating while typing. She does seem to be hungry around 7:00 pm and later. I got her to eat a 1/2 lb of the FreshPet Select last night by breaking it into chunks and dipping the end of it in a little baby food. The pills that I got from Walmart Pharmacy to get her started in the itraconazole were large time release capsules. The medication that I ordered from the new pharmacy has smaller capsules that are powder. Maybe this will make a difference. She hasn't yacked any of the new pills up. I think I will try a can of Ensure for her to.

She did come out and see my brother who came by to visit with me lastnight and he gave me some money towards her vet bills. I was in tears!! Everyone knows what my dogs mean to me and even my family is sadden to see Sierra thin and fighting this. We will recover is my prayer to God everyday. Thanks for all of the support.

sierra1.jpg

Edited by stlgrey

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Liver or chicken livers always worked wonders here :)

Glad to hear she's getting some food in her tummy and hopefully these new pills will help a bit as well

Oh and what a sweetheart of a brother :wub:

I'm so glad you posted a picture of this little doll. That's quite a brother you have there! He's a keeper. Please give Sierra a big hug and tell her many of us are praying and pulling for her. Thanks for the update

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

She's so lovely :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

How's our little girl this afternoon? Chanting....eat...gain weight...get well. What a pretty little lady. :wub::grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I just got home from my part-time job and fed her some lunch. She liked the hamburger patty and had abit of rice. I gave her a peanut butter ball with NY in it. I think the new itra capsules are being tolerated better than the last time release caps. She hasn't vomited at all in the past day since getting the new medicine.

She seems in better spirits this afternoon. She did a slow trot to the door this morning from outside. This is a normal "Sierra" trait. The past few days it has been a very slow walk.

My brother and I are pretty close. He doesn't mind helping out his single sister who is presently underemployed outside of her field right now. I'm just to proud to ask. He knows how expensive vet bills are he had a golden who had her ACL replaced and numerous other health issues later in her years. He has a very sweet mixed breed name Sophie.

Hopefully dinner will be consumed as well as lunch.

Edited by stlgrey