Miles Update #16

Guest lauri

The results of Miles' tests came back.

CBCs are in the normal range so I guess that means little chance of cancer. He's had this going on since April, so we believe SOMETHING would have shown up by now.

His pancreatic enzyme tests were also fine so that means he does not have a malabsorption issue due to the pancreas.

He has a huge overgrowth of bacteria in his intestines which is most probably causing the digestive issues which the Flagyl wasn't able to take care of. The vet is special ordering an anti-biotic that she says is her 'favorite' for things like this. Can't remember the name, but I'd never heard of it. I'm sure THAT one is costly...

In the meantime I need to take him in to be shown how to give B12 shots, as we all know one needs in a case of anemia. He'll need these once a week for now.

Miles doesn't fight the syringe feeding and it's actually easier when he's laying on the bed on his side! He'll take some of the food on his own, and then we syringe him. I give him a 'candy' after his morning and evening feeding. His candy is mint 'gas gone' tablets (simethicone). He loves those things and it does help with the grumbles.

Last night Mike pretended to eat kibble in bed and of course Miles just HAD to have some. Plus he'll eat hotdogs, yogurt, tapioca (kosher and gluten free kind!), and I've mixed him up some vanilla soy protein powder with soy milk and he loves it!

PLUS, I think he likes the pampering he's getting.

Today is day 4 of the prednisone.

We'll see how things go! B)

Edited by lauri

Well hey, that's good news! Once he starts getting those B vitamins in him I'll bet his appetite picks up dramatically! Thinking positive healthy thoughts for Miles!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest hannahmom
CBCs are in the normal range so I guess that means little chance of cancer.

:yay:confetti:yay

Last night Mike pretended to eat kibble in bed and of course Miles just HAD to have some.

I have a mental picture of this - too cute :colgate

Good update. Please keep us posted. Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Very good update! I applaud you for hanging in there, I know it's been a very rough ride for both of you. Miles remains in our prayers and we look forward to more good updates!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

That's what my greyhound had too -- SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). He was very sick, like your Miles. We tried meds, and they helped some, but what really fixed him was a change in diet. I figured out what he couldn't tolerate and adjusted his diet to one which contained no carbs & very little fat.

My greyhound is still on his special diet & will probably remain on it for life, but is otherwise doing very well. He looks like the picture of health.

Good luck!

Fingers crossed that this is the start of much better times for you and Miles!

Please don't freak, but for benefit of others I do want to note that dog can have perfectly normal CBC and have cancer. Batman had a type of cancer called malignant histiocytosis; except for the time we gave him a dose of chemo and his white count dropped, his blood was just fine throughout his illness. Nothing out of normal range at all.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sounds like a good update for Miles. Maybe he is turning the corner and you'll start to see improvements day by day. Keep us posted.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Miles went in for his first B12 shot today. He's lost another pound, but is eating better now so hopefully the weight will come. He's actually eating lamb and rice kibble on his own - Mike doesn't have to pretend to eat it.

Guess maybe the Prednisone is kicking in!

I guess the B12 should help too.

He's very weak as he has no muscle left , down to about 43 lbs. today.

Still very bright in the eyes and BEGS for OUR food!

We're hoping things come around soon, or this dog will die from malnutrition.

I don't know what else to do other than what we're doing.

Sounds like Miles is making progress! Keep up the appetite, sweetie. :chow

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

If he's eating kibble on his own things sound like they are looking up.

Continued thoughts and prayers, this has been a major rollercoaster ride for you both :grouphug

:hope :hope

Sending good eating thoughts and lots of hugs for youse guys.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.