Adult Tooth Coming In And Baby Tooth Still There

Guest redreed

Ack --- Spyder is 5 months old now and has several adult teeth. However, he still has his baby fangs. One of his adult fangs isn't in the mood to wait it's turn and is popping out (see pics below). The baby tooth is still pretty securely attached. My question is -- should I take him to the vet to remove the baby tooth or should I wait a few days and see what happens? I check his teeth at least every other day and just noticed this now.

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

Thanks for all and any advice on this one!!!

I'd check with the vet. All of Dallas' teeth came out before the new ones came in, usually they were filling in a few days after one fell out. I bet Spyder is having a good time teething though.....

Don't worry about it, it's just a baby tooth. It'll fall out on it's own. :rolleyes: Both of DBF's pup Solo's canine teeth did the same thing.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Gee, there must be something in the air; our 6 month old puppy has double upper canines right now. The baby teeth are still in very firmly. Our vet says they should come out when she's spayed. I don't want to do that for another 6 months, so I'm hoping they'll come out on their own. If they start pushing the other teeth out of line they'll have to be pulled sooner.

Does anyone know how much longer those babies might stay in and then come out?

Marcia in SC

PS I really freaked out when I saw a full set of baby and permanent teeth in the lower front. Talk about the real meaning of land shark. :lol They came out pretty quickly; the upper canines sure aren't.

Edited by MZH

Holly did this, I noticed on a friday just after the vets had closed so decided to wait until the monday.

I kept checking, ok wiggling and pulling, the baby tooth two or three times a day over the weekend and on the sunday lunchtime it fell out as soon as i touched it - much to holly's relief i think :lol

Poor Spyder - hope he is not hurting - that looks painful! Gus' all fell out quickly as the adult teeth grew in thankfully - one of the few things we didn't have issues with! I would just give the vet a call and ask their opinion - if Spyder seems like he is hurting - if not, I would just check on it for the next few days and see if it is ready to wiggle loose (sort of like we did when we were kids and wanted the tooth fairy to come :lol ). Sending hugs & scritches - and Gus adds nosey kisses in a manly way of course :D

Guest Hoolyghans

Spike's canines did that too. The adult ones were about 2/3 of the way out before the baby ones finally let go. All his baby molars fell out before the adults came in.

I think it's fairly common and only a few dogs have to have the baby teeth extracted.

My vote is keep an eye on it but no need to panic.

Ned also had baby teefs when some of his big boy teefs arrived :wub:

What I mean is, Ned still had some baby TEETH when some of his adult TEETH arrived :lol

If he'd have had any trouble with them or had they still been there when he went to be neutered (which was today as it happens) then I'd have got the vet to deal with them but they just fell out of their own accord and left him with just his lovely new adult peggies. I mean teeth. :lol

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest zoolaine

Oh Spyder, your a good boy for cooperating with getting your picture taken. I'll have to take a closer look at Zali's teeth. I know about 2 weeks ago at the park she was running and playing with JJ - a 12 year old boy that is a great friend for her. When he came to take my other dog, Zali's mouth was all bloody from losing a tooth. I had a moment of panic before figuring out what was going on.