Who Deworms Their Own Dogs?

NeylasMom

I think I posted asking this before, but I can't find the thread now, if it exists. I decided that this year I'd like to just deworm my pups rather than doing fecals. Neither of them have had a round of dewormer since I adopted them and although I keep them on heartworm preventative, I'd like to do this as well. I figured I would just go with Panacur, or the ingredient that's in Panacur. So for those of you who do your own deworming, where do you buy your supplies and can I get them without a Rx?

I seem to remember reading that some people use horse meds, so specific dosing and instructions on how to give it would be helpful in that case.

Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We de-worm all the new dogs that come in. I buy the "Panacur" (liquid fenbendazole 10% labeled as "Safe-Guard" for use with cattle and goats) at the local feed store and dose the dogs 3 days in a row at 2.5 mL, then wait 2 weeks and repeat. Unfortunately for the individual dog owner, the size of the container is 33.8 fluid ounces or enough for about 120 head of cattle, and costs $128. They don't offer anything smaller. It doesn't expire for a couple of years, though - I keep it in my fridge.

Metronidazole can also be purchased over-the-counter, but labeled only for aquarium usage.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

the size of the container is 33.8 fluid ounces or enough for about 120 head of cattle, and costs $128.

Hmm, perhaps the larger problem would be finding a feed store around here. I live in the DC metro area. :P

Actually, I'm sure I could find one in rural MD or VA, and I do drive through both on occasion, but yes, that's a little higher of an investment than I'd like to make. Especially b/c I don't deworm regularly.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest KennelMom

No feed stores around here carry the liquid Panacur so I had to order it online...every place online required an RX. Our vet had no problems writing the rx for us. I ordered from KV Vet. It may be cheaper and easier to just buy panacur from your vet if you are only de-worming a couple times a year. It's worth it to ask how much they charge if you haven't already. Our vet didn't require a fecal. I just said "Hey, we want to deworm all the dogs, can you write me an RX for panacur since I can't seem to get it at our local feed stores anymore." No problem. Getting a de-wormer isn't like trying to get antibiotics just on the owners word.

Maybe you are thinking of Strongid, which is horse wormer and about $10 at the feed store, but doesn't kill everything.

You can also order generic versious of Drontrol which wipes out pretty much everything, from AU if you feel comfortable with it.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest WhenIGiveIn
Maybe you are thinking of Strongid, which is horse wormer and about $10 at the feed store, but doesn't kill everything.

You can also order generic versious of Drontrol which wipes out pretty much everything, from AU if you feel comfortable with it.

Do you have a site to get the AU Drontal?

Guest EnzaFerrari

I bought Pancur C from 1800 Pet Meds. Didn't require a prescription and I will keep it on hand just in case. It took three fecals at $50 a pop to find the giardia that Enza had and now that I know the symptoms and dosage.

I think it cost me $25 for both packets needed for her size.

I buy Panacur from 1.800.PET.MEDS (.com) and no script is required. I usually administer these every three to six months in addition to the annual fecal, simply because I walk in areas concentrated with dogs (townhouse complex) and visit the dog park between 1-3 times per week. That's a lot of nasty poo that my dogs have the potential to come in contact with, although neither dog is a poo eater.

**note the panacur dosing requires purchasing two boxes per dog, each box containing three packets**

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

You can get Panacur without a prescription--the REAL thing in powdered form labeled for us in dogs. You might have to mix and match the packages to get the right weight.

Amazon.com sells it in fact!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

We de-worm all the new dogs that come in. I buy the "Panacur" (liquid fenbendazole 10% labeled as "Safe-Guard" for use with cattle and goats) at the local feed store and dose the dogs 3 days in a row at 2.5 mL, then wait 2 weeks and repeat. Unfortunately for the individual dog owner, the size of the container is 33.8 fluid ounces or enough for about 120 head of cattle, and costs $128. They don't offer anything smaller. It doesn't expire for a couple of years, though - I keep it in my fridge.

Metronidazole can also be purchased over-the-counter, but labeled only for aquarium usage.

We buy the same product in powder form. We had our local feed store order several cases of it (at a discount for ordering in bulk). Each box has three packets that are given once each day for three days. We treat once then repeat it in two weeks. This does not get rid of both types of tape worms so we order Praziquantal from Austrailia (Pets-Mega-Store) and use that to make sure both types of tape worms are gone. This seems to work really well and not cost a lot.

Edited by Greys4Us

Do you have a site to get the AU Drontal?

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/index.php?cPath=165_161_189

I've ordered from Pets Megastore for years. Shipping is usually about $7.95 and it arrives within a week. If you google there is a free shipping coupon from a 3rd party. Might save you $7.95 but get you a lot of spam.

Edited by Hubcitypam

I've ordered from Pets Megastore for years. Shipping is usually about $7.95 and it arrives within a week.

Oooh, I like the looks of that Ezybone chewable wormer. So much more convenient than the liquid stuff, and kills tapeworms as well.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest RocketDog

I worm with Panacur every three months, and my dogs are also on Interceptor, which as I understand kills several intestinal parasites as well as preventing heartworm.

I've ordered from Pets Megastore for years. Shipping is usually about $7.95 and it arrives within a week.

Oooh, I like the looks of that Ezybone chewable wormer. So much more convenient than the liquid stuff, and kills tapeworms as well.

As I was looking at it it the doseage wasn't really greyhound size oriented and I'm too fuzzy to do the math. :blush I just use the allwormer.

Guest longdogs

I buy good generic all-wormers online from various Australian vendors. I'm in Australia but prices are good enough to attract US buyers too. I generally buy Paratek Plus which is equivalent to Drontal and deals with all intestinal worms including tapes, although there are several other brands to choose from. Dosage isn't too critical provided you go over rather than under. For the average grey you can either buy 10kg pills and give 3-4 or use a single 40kg pill. Prices are around USD9.00 for that dose, exclusive of postage. I use the pills quarterly but they can be used more frequently if needed. These pills are much more effective than the monthly combined heartworm/intestinal worm pills. If you buy plain generic heartworm pills and a quarterly generic all-wormer, it not only works out cheaper but probably gives better protection.