Stinky Loca

robinw

I just noticed that the area around Loca's bumhole seems to be wet. She hasn't been licking it. She also smells really bad and this evening I noticed two fairly large brown spots of my blanket which I'm fairly sure came from her. ( :eek ). Does anybody know what could be going on with her? Could it be an anal gland problem?

Thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest kellybrown

Lucy had to have her anal glands expressed by the vet about a year ago. After she went to the bathroom she acted funny, walked funny, I thought maybe she had a hemmoroid. But once the vet expressed them, she was all better.

About 3 weeks ago, I was coming home from a fun run. The back seat in my yukon fell over and scared the dogs. Then I started smelling something awful, I thought someone farted. Then I saw runny stuff all over the back window, I thought someone threw up for a second, then I realized that it was expressed anal glands. That is the worst smell, especially in a car. Even after I cleaned up everything, I had to drive with the windows down for the rest of the day. I don't know which dog it came from.

should i take her to the vet? and yes, to say that she stinks to high heaven would be an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!!! :puke:sick:crying

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest kellybrown

Sounds like maybe she expressed them herself. After my car incident, I had to give Trooper a bath. Lucy didn't get any on her, maybe she sprayed him.

I think some groomers can do that too. Might be cheaper. Some people might be able to do their own dogs, not me. I couldn't even take a rectal temperature when my daughter was a baby.

should i take her to the vet? and yes, to say that she stinks to high heaven would be an UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!!!!! :puke:sick:crying

Hey hey now....that's my girl you're talking about! She handled things all on her own

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest StriderDog

Yes, make an appointment with a vet tech. They'll express her glands just to make sure they're empty and to make sure there's no infection. :nod

how would she have expressed them herself? :huh i don't know anything about this...

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest kellybrown
how would she have expressed them herself? :huh i don't know anything about this...

I don't really know either, but it seems like I read that when they go to the bathroom, as it passes, it presses against the gland and that takes care of it.

I had to look it up on the internet to see what is was. I remember reading that sometimes dogs will scoot across the floor on their butts and that sometimes people think this is a sign of worms, but that they are trying to express the glands.

I don't really know either, but it seems like I read that when they go to the bathroom, as it passes, it presses against the gland and that takes care of it.

I had to look it up on the internet to see what is was. I remember reading that sometimes dogs will scoot across the floor on their butts and that sometimes people think this is a sign of worms, but that they are trying to express the glands.

thanks so much for all of your help :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

They normally express during a bowel movement. Not much, just a drop or two you wouldn't notice in the general stink and all. :P If they're flowing now, maybe they just were a little blocked, but some extra exertion popped 'em. :D

Wabi gifts us this way from time to time. The little darling. Usually while on the couch. :rolleyes:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest D_MansMommy

Only Loca could express herself :lol I love her :wub: Seriously Robin, I would take her to the vet. Donovan had impacted anal glands and one got infected. It was treatable in the early state but left untreated the gland can burst or something. Give that little wild girl a kiss from me :love2

Icarus expressed his own once when they were really full.

It's gross... really gross and the smell is super hard to get out!

Whenever we start to have gland problems here.. I will add a bit of pumpkin to their food for a week or so and it clears right up.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Basically if she has expressed them herself then they are not impacted or infected. If they were impacted she wouldn't be able to express them on her own and if they were infected she would be licking her butt more than normal.

If she's stinky you can just take her to a groomer and they can express them as well, no extra charge should be included in the bath. But more than likely she has taken care of expressing them herself :)

Really nothing to get to worried about. Sometimes like Kelly said when they get scared they can express them all on their own or sometimes if they are filled up a good stretch can even express them.

edit to add for the smell, on items (not the dog) OdoBan, sold at Sam's club or Walmart

for the dog, just add some baking soda to shampoo and it should help cut the smell :)

Edited by GreysAndMoreGreys

Guest LindsaySF
Basically if she has expressed them herself then they are not impacted or infected. If they were impacted she wouldn't be able to express them on her own and if they were infected she would be licking her butt more than normal.

Not necessarily. ;) When Teagan's anal glands were infected, the only sign was one of them expressing onto my bedspread! :eek I brought him to the vet and his other gland was impacted, they had to express it, and it was infected and needed long-term antibiotics. He did not have the usual symptoms of butt scooting or excessive licking. I had seen him licking his butt, but not so much that I thought there was a problem.

We have to take Gracie in about every 6 - 8 weeks to have her glands expressed - her brother Vinnie had the same problem - their poo is/was just not hard enough or often enough to cause the glands to express on their own. However, Gracie did express one herself in the vets office against the wall while the vet tech was starting to do the other - and you are right, it really stinks. We give pumpkin, rice, sweet potatoes and all sorts of fiber to help solidify but it seems to be a problem we are stuck with. And while it is easy to do on your own - it is not something I want to try doing and having her hating me every time I needed to do it - vet techs are much better! Sending scritches to Miss Loca.

Yeah, go get her expressed. She probably didn't empty them out fully -- you'd have to move to, oh, say, North Carolina or so if she had.

Batman had one that tended to get full. I just had the vet do it when we were there for something else, if it had been awhile.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The vet's office said to keep an eye on her bumhole ( :puke ) and to take her in if it becomes swollen or red.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
The vet's office said to keep an eye on her bumhole ( :puke ) and to take her in if it becomes swollen or red.

You should check it several times a day :P:lol :lol

OK just kidding :D

Once you clear up what's going on, I've found adding some rice to Patrick's dinner a couple times a week has prevented the need for the vet to express them.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.