Skylar Is Toothless

Guest crazy4greys

Guest crazy4greys

Skylar went in today for her last dental. The vet removed her remaining teeth, 3 canines, all the upper & lower front teeth and 1 molar.

She just turned 7 on June 22nd. She is staying over night as she is still bleeding a bit. She will come home tomorrow.

Edited by crazy4greys

Guest 2Brindles

Poor baby - she will have incurable ETS in addition to having a sore mouth for a few days.

Sending gentle scritches sweet Skylar's way :)

Guest crazy4greys
Oh!! Poor sweetie. Big, big hugs. :bighug Was this the expected outcome?

She was in for a visit last week and one of her canines started to bleed when the vet looked in her mouth and touched it. He suggested that she should have it taken out. I asked him to just pull them all.

She was just in for a dental less than a year ago, I believe. She has periodontal disease, so they were all bound to come out sooner or later. I didn't want to have to keep putting her under the anesthesia for 1 or 2 teeth to be taken out every 8 months or so.

Guest greydogluvr

I am looking down a similar road for my Simone. She has has 3 dentals in less that 2 yrs, the last prompted by an infection in her gums. She has lost several and has a couple more with roots showing. I guess some grey's teeth are worse than others.

Gentle scritches to your girl and prayers for quick healing.

Guest crazy4greys
I am looking down a similar road for my Simone. She has has 3 dentals in less that 2 yrs, the last prompted by an infection in her gums. She has lost several and has a couple more with roots showing. I guess some grey's teeth are worse than others.

Gentle scritches to your girl and prayers for quick healing.

Skylar had an infection too, but on the inside of her upper lip where it touched the gum line that was also infected. That was last dental.

Of my 6 greys, Skylar has had the worst teeth.

Guest VanillaBean

She was in for a visit last week and one of her canines started to bleed when the vet looked in her mouth and touched it. He suggested that she should have it taken out. I asked him to just pull them all.

She was just in for a dental less than a year ago, I believe. She has periodontal disease, so they were all bound to come out sooner or later. I didn't want to have to keep putting her under the anesthesia for 1 or 2 teeth to be taken out every 8 months or so.

That's what I keep telling my vet to do to my Peppy. He has nasty teeth and loses one every dental. If he didn't have any he would feel so much better.

Hugs and Scritches Skylar!

Our Angel Truffles lost all of his teeth too...you know what? He was like a puppy again...he felt so good and he ate very well with no teefies! Hug Skylar for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Awww, poor sweet girl. Max sends his sympathies, as he will be having the same thing done in a year or so. He is down to 13 teeth, in spite of having annual dentals and daily brushing, so the vet and I figure that they might as well come out, and not put him through any more anaesthetics (he is 10 and 1/2).

I'm sure she is going to do just fine - give her some nice frozen yogourt from us...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Ah, Skylar. Seven is young to have such bad teeth, isn't it? I guess the poor girl came up short in the healthy toofer gene pool. But when you weigh the pros and cons, better to have a nice, clean, toothless mouth than an icky one that's going to give her constant problems, now and down the road.

Who was saying their hound had all their teeth pulled, and had Gums of Steel? I think they do pretty good, considering.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest greytkidsmom

Sorry about your toofers, Skylar. Hope the tooth fairy brings some really good treats. The good news is that your mom won't have to worry about any more anesthesia for dentals...

:f_white

Guest IGmom4now

That's what I keep telling my vet to do to my Peppy. He has nasty teeth and loses one every dental. If he didn't have any he would feel so much better.

Hugs and Scritches Skylar!

My iggy Stella just had 7 teeth pulled. She's down to 13, and she's like a new girl! Her mouth must really have been bothering her, because she's back to being her usual bossy self!

Guest crazy4greys

I just got her home. Her mouth is a lttle swollen where her canines were.

I stopped to get her some canned food to go along with her soaked dry food.

She is hiding in a crate and sleeping.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Oh, she had a blood test to see if she has Von Willebrands Disease as she was bleeding a lot and it was hard to get it to clot which is why she stayed overnight. The results will be back in about a week.

Guest paulamariez

Poor Skylar sweetie! I will keep her tender heart in my prayers for a quick and painless recuperation! From what I've read, many of the hounds do much better without those bad old tooties! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Skylar some get well doggie kisses. Extra ones from Bueller, 'cuz he says, he's been there!

Guest Luvgreys

Poor Skylar, hope she feels better soon!! :getwell

I think you definitely did the right thing, she will feel so much better without those teeth once she is all healed up.

Now you just have to buy moisturizer for her tongue :lol

Poor Skylar, hope she feels better soon!! :getwell

I think you definitely did the right thing, she will feel so much better without those teeth once she is all healed up.

Now you just have to buy moisturizer for her tongue :lol

I am very Happy you are home Skylar and I hope you feel better soon, :bighug:getwell

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter