Leptospirosis Shot- Is It Safe

Guest jaxmax

Guest jaxmax

I just brought my greyhound for his wellness visit after adopting him a week ago. The vet recommended that I give him the shot for leptospirosis. It is a disease that is gotten from rats and mice and can be passed on to humans. The vet gives it to her dog and suggests it to all her clients. I made an appointment to give it to him on Saturday and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

If you live in the city, get it. We live in the city and 3 dogs in our neighborhood died from lepto in the past 2 years. My understanding is that rat urine is the most common transmitter.

In case you can't tell from my response, our dog gets it. :)

Oh, just noticed that you live in NYC. Yes, get it.

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Now that's weird, because I just took Lily to the vet last month and didn't get it because the vet said it was something that mostly outdoor dogs, i.e. dogs that live on a farm, get from drinking stagnant water. :unsure

Well, I guess most farms have rats...?

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Now that's weird, because I just took Lily to the vet last month and didn't get it because the vet said it was something that mostly outdoor dogs, i.e. dogs that live on a farm, get from drinking stagnant water. :unsure

Well, I guess most farms have rats...?

Hmmm that IS weird! Well it looks like it's both:

More about lepto than you ever want to know

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest jaxmax
If you live in the city, get it. We live in the city and 3 dogs in our neighborhood died from lepto in the past 2 years. My understanding is that rat urine is the most common transmitter.

In case you can't tell from my response, our dog gets it. :)

Oh, just noticed that you live in NYC. Yes, get it.

Thanks for your response. I will keep the appointment.

Guest p51crazyhorse

i heard that it is from the urine of wild animals, raccoons, skunks, rats etc.... if you take your dog out into the light of day or may possibly have/had rodents GET IT!!!!

The thing they get from stagnant water is giardia, it is a parasite

well I guess they get lepto from water too..... learn sumthin new everyday.....

Edited by p51crazyhorse

I was told since we live in a wooded area and the dogs do a lot of trail walking that the lepto was recommended because they can catch it from wild animal urine. I've also heard that it doesn't cover all the strains but at least it's something. So far, no one has had a negative reaction to it.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest jaxmax
Two of my girls have an allergic reaction to the lepto vaccine. So, you might want to be prepared (Benedrine) and watchful. My other two are just fine.

What sort of reaction did they get from it and how long was it before the reaction set in? Is the benedrine something the vet has to give or is it something I can do? Thanks for your help.

Guest sheila
The vaccine does not protect against all strains of lepto.

This is true. I have a friend who nearly lost her terrier mix to leptospriosis despite having the vaccine. He spent 2 wks at a vet hospital before he was able to come home.

I would have my dogs get the vaccine anyway regardless of whether I lived in the city or the country.

Yes, it is the component of multivalent (5 way, 7 way, etc) vaccines that most often causes reactions.

Yes, your dog should get it if you live in an area that has had cases.

Your greyhound has been vaccinated for leptospirosis before (it's required by law for track dogs in every racing state that I know of), and presumably has not had a reaction.

Greyhounds in general are not known for vaccine reactions. Yes, they can happen, and it's always something to observe your dog for after a vet visit, but it's not at all common.

Lynn

What sort of reaction did they get from it and how long was it before the reaction set in? Is the benedrine something the vet has to give or is it something I can do? Thanks for your help.

Benadryl! DUh!

Cutie's face was very swollen within 24 hours. It lasted overnite. Darlin had a lot of swelling at the injection site.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest jaxmax
Yes, it is the component of multivalent (5 way, 7 way, etc) vaccines that most often causes reactions.

Yes, your dog should get it if you live in an area that has had cases.

Your greyhound has been vaccinated for leptospirosis before (it's required by law for track dogs in every racing state that I know of), and presumably has not had a reaction.

Greyhounds in general are not known for vaccine reactions. Yes, they can happen, and it's always something to observe your dog for after a vet visit, but it's not at all common.

Lynn

Thanks for the information!