Nails Way To Long And Problems

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Just took Tankala in. He's been well taken care of except for his nails. They are sooooooo long.

I have been dremeling away at them and making progress on the front two. One toe is infected and the others are very iritated. The pads are almost mis-shapen due to his digits being pushed back from the length of the nails - I am amazed.

Within a few hours, I think I'll have them down to a reasonable length and walking on pavement will help too.

Other than that, anybody have advice???

Edited by Gideon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbs-up No advice just wanted to say good job on the nails!! It sounds like he doesn't mind have his nails done which could be a real plus here.

It's so wonderful that you are taking care of Tankala.

Edited by Fudge

Guest BlackandBrindle

Perhaps soak his feet in epsom salts/water.

Also, put bag balm or something similar on his pads. Is he on antibiotics for the infected pad? If not, I'd definitely ask the vet for some.

Guest Gideon

He also has these calouses on his pads that are so thick I can dremel them without a flinch. His paws have got to be pretty sensitive due to al of this.

He walks by placing his paws down sort of flat - it is sad to see. I wonder if he'll ever get to walking normal again.

Edited by Gideon

Guest BlackandBrindle

Eventually he'll have a more normal gait. It's just going to take a while, especially if his feet hurt, poor guy.

If his quicks aren't at the end, it might be easier to clip the nails and then dremel. I would think that a buffered aspirin might help for any discomfort too.

Hang in there Tank, you're in good hands now.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Soak the paws and then while they are still tender put the bag balm on. You can dremel/file them too, but I have had good success with callouses with the bag balm.

You can put baby socks on his feet so he doesn't lick it off.

Sounds like you already have the best advice you can get. I just want to 2nd the bag balm. It's made a world of difference on Wayne's pads. I'm a chicken so I wouldn't attempt to cut his nails, I'de keep using the dremel. At least with the dremel if you do hit the quicks it'll just be a wierd sensation whereas if you cut the quick, it'll hurt like you know what

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest FullMetalFrank

Poor pup. I saw a bounced hound at a meet and greet once whose nails had been neglected, the feet were all out of whack from it. The group had gotten them down as much as they could but it takes some time for the quick to recede. I am betting that this hound (is he a foster?) will feel so much better once the nails are shorter; good luck! I also recommend the bag balm, it's good stuff for rough sore feet.

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Those "thick calouses" on his pads could be corns too and another reason for his gimpiness. Hope he feels better soon. I second the epsom salts soaking.... good for sores and softening calouses/corns.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest MAXNAV
He also has these calouses on his pads that are so thick I can dremel them without a flinch. His paws have got to be pretty sensitive due to al of this.

He walks by placing his paws down sort of flat - it is sad to see. I wonder if he'll ever get to walking normal again.

My groomer just told me that there are cremes for the pads that will soften them. I haven't checked out any pet supply stores yet. Do you think a vet should check his feet to be sure? You are so wonderful to help this boy. Thank you!

My groomer just told me that there are cremes for the pads that will soften them. I haven't checked out any pet supply stores yet. Do you think a vet should check his feet to be sure? You are so wonderful to help this boy. Thank you!

Try the bag balm, it works wonders

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Greytminds

Gileon take a walk over to chez bow wow in Liberty Walk, they have some greyt all natural cremes and ointments that will help with both. Just ask the groomers they are very with it on issues like this. When we first got Trace he was bald in areas and they gave me a creme to rub in the spots and the area grew back.

If you have at the shop take him with you and show them.

They are really greyt people........

Paul...

Edited by Greytminds

Guest trevdog

Bag balm works wonders. Just work on his nails a bit at a time, they'll get there.

I have something for the pads too(can't remember the name) that is like an exfoilating creme my vet suggested that seemed to help a lot. I'll see if I can find it when I get home tonight.

Guest MAXNAV

Try the bag balm, it works wonders

Will do. Thanks!

Guest Gideon

We're going to take him with us to NGAP this morning.

Here are some pics of his paws - just keep in mind that this is already after a lot of dremeling:

DSC04654.JPG

DSC04655.JPG

DSC04656.JPG

DSC04657.JPG

DSC04658.JPG

DSC04659.JPG

DSC04660.JPG

All thos clear and yellow areas on the pads are hard enough that I can dremel them without him flinching.

I picked up a cream to help soften them.

I spoke with his former owner last night asking about all of this. He said that Tankalas always had these problems and that he, the vet and the breeder all think it is a defect of some sort or hereditary.

I don't know, I'm confused about all of this. He's coming with us to NGAP.

Edited by Gideon

Guest trevdog

Ouch, I'd say some of those are corns. And the one nail looks infected that's for sure. The stuff I have is called Kerasolv, I used that in additon to the bag balm. It will soften his pads over time as long as it's consistent. And the Kerasolv is more of a exfoliator and will help slough off some of the tough parts and allow the cream to work better.

I'm sure he's quite happy to be getting the TLC though.

My Liddy has bad nails too. Her nails go every which way and are hard to keep short as they are all black nails. My vet in Germany said not to soften the pads??? Sometimes when a nail is jagged it rubs the toe next to it and we get a sore.

Is he licking the toe? You may want to try covering it loosely with a baby sock taped around the ankle to keep it on. You will get air flow but less lickie, lickie..... My vet in Germany also gave me an antibiotic powder to put on/around toe to keep it dry.

The vet in Germany also told me (i don't know whether to believe her or not on all of this but it is all interesting and no other American vet has offered this info) that all of Liddy's feet are hyper-extended (loose tendons). I can see that myself. She tears up her feet when she runs and it makes the already long toe nails even more of an issue. She said it was due to poor nutrition as a pup. This fits Liddy's profile as she was neglected as a pup......

I just try to keep the nails short, we have corns too and when walking I try and find soft ground for her.

Janet & Liddy

Katy, Texas

but been all over

Awesome job on the nails so far, Gideon. Wanna come do my pups? :lol

The nailbeds look pretty irritated -- could be infection, allergy, fungus ..... Topical cream might help, soaking in Epsom salts might help.

Pad calluses could indeed be from the long nails, could be something else. If from the long nails, you really don't need to do much -- they'll clear up on their own over a few months.

Good luck at the vet's today!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Gideon

Thanks for the feedback! Like I said, we're taking him to NGAP with Duke today and will just ask for a quick look over. We can always go back on Tuesday for another appointment.

I'm not sure if this is all defect type stuff, would he have raced? He did race a bit - we know that much.

I know he is hurting on our walks. I just him to be able to walk normally and hopefully run too.

Ouch, that poor baby. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet and that he's with you now. How are he and Duke getting along?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest KennelMom

Ouch! Those look like some painful toes and feet. Looks like you've done a great job on the dremeling though! Some of the nail beds look like nails I've seen that had an infection, cleared up w/antibiotics. I've never seen anything like his paw pads though :( Poor guy. Keep us posted...

Guest momto3greys
Ouch! Those look like some painful toes and feet. Looks like you've done a great job on the dremeling though! Some of the nail beds look like nails I've seen that had an infection, cleared up w/antibiotics. I've never seen anything like his paw pads though :( Poor guy. Keep us posted...

His nail beds look like my Mydecai's. Our vets says it comes from the track. When they get like that he goes on antibiotics for 2 weeks and they clear right up. It will never go permanently away but it does not get worse.

He looks like a real love bug.

Say Hi to him for me in my home town.