Popeye, The Pointy Cat, Went To The Bridge Today

Guest redreed

Guest redreed

My beautiful 19 year old cat, Popeye, has been ill for a while now, but for the last few weeks he's been getting worse. Last night he "told" me it was time to let him go. I don't know how to explain it, but I've had this same conversation in the past with some of my other pets.

So this morning, I let him go. It was hard and awful for me and peaceful for him and my heart is broken. I'm going to miss him so very, very much. He was never a pleasant cat, but he was mine!!! Popeye could not be picked up without blood being involved, it actually took several years before petting was somewhat acceptable. During his time here some of his more interesting habits involved waking me up by sticking his claws into my lower lip and pulling until I got up and fed him, gnawing on arms, hands and legs at various and frequent intervals, freaking out in the middle of the night and running amok, jumping up and down off bodies in beds with claws out and using any limb available as a shoving off point. He would sit next to me, tempting me to pet him and then wrapping his front legs around my forearm and chewing on whatever part of my hand he could reach, sadly I must confess I fell for the "really Mama, I've changed, I'm sweet and innocent, come on pet me" face every SINGLE time.

On the other hand, he was extremely social, he would hang out on the top of the couch and watch tv with me, as long as nobody touched him, life was good. He would talk to me all the time, lots of rude language but still a good conversationalist. He would sleep next to me at night sometimes when it was cold out and I felt priviledged. Being my good boy, he avoided Jacey, he would scratch her but not his normal self scratching and I don't think he ever bit her.

This morning, for the first time in 19 years, I held Popeye and he didn't fight me off. This was the final step in letting me know it was time to let him go. But what a gift he gave me, I GOT TO HOLD HIM. I wish I could explain the feeling of love and joy and peace and sadness I had, it was incredible. So I told him all the little things I needed to tell him and I tried to tell him how much I loved him, and I let him go.

Renee - mama to Jacey (the skin-kid), Spyder, Loki, Libby, and waiting for me at the bridge, Tiger Shark and Popeye

My heart is broken but time will calm the pain and leave the happy and funny memories.

I'm sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest hamiesmom

So sorry for your loss. What a character he was. He sounds just like my little "Mabel Cat". She has the same kind of attitude. However, she does not mind sharing her home with greyhounds.

I am so sorry. Run free and send your family beautiful Rainbows honey. :grouphug:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest redreed
So sorry for your loss. What a character he was. He sounds just like my little "Mabel Cat". She has the same kind of attitude. However, she does not mind sharing her home with greyhounds.

That's funny because Popeye really liked Tiger Shark - he was the only living creature that Pops actually liked and Popeye was Tiger's first non-grey friend. They would share a bed and lay right next to each other. I think they will be happy to be back together.

I am so very sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I am very sorry.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project