Phaelin Has A Growth In His Mouth

The last week or so, Phaelin hasn't been eating all that well. I had attributed it to his food (Canidae's formula is supposedly changing......I thought we got the new formula and he didn't like it). I was wrong. After buying a few new kinds of food yesterday, he ate one last night, but turned his nose up to it today. I had checked his mouth about a week ago, but didn't see anything. Today I checked it again, and found a growth between two of his small teeth.

After reading about Elvis and his growth, I'm thinking this might be an epulis, but we have a vet appt Monday to find out. Our first greyhound, Tinsel, had an ossifying epulis in the back of her mouth (that we only found while doing her dental) that was removed and she ended up being fine. I'm just hoping Phaelin's growth isn't anything to worry about.

Edited by greypuppyluv

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry yet. Nala had one and on occasion it reappears. We were told our dog was dying of cancer. We did the biopsy, nope...clean. Vet did not believe it. Did another biopsy...again clean. A round of prednisone and it went away. It has appeared 2x in 4 years. SO, they are not always "bad".

NHAH is open on Sundays! Who knew, not I! :P Let us know what you find out.

The Girls

Don't worry yet. Nala had one and on occasion it reappears. We were told our dog was dying of cancer. We did the biopsy, nope...clean. Vet did not believe it. Did another biopsy...again clean. A round of prednisone and it went away. It has appeared 2x in 4 years. SO, they are not always "bad".

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Mike thinks it could be an abcess too. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

You didn't know NHAH was open on Sundays? That's one of the best benefits of going there! They didn't have ANY appts today or I would have taken him today. We see Dr. Austin tomorrow at 1:30.

Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie

Guest KennelMom

Fingers crossed that it's nothing to worry about. I don't know how fast those things grow, but Elvis' seem to come from nowhere. (it ended up being benign)

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Mike thinks it could be an abcess too. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

You didn't know NHAH was open on Sundays? That's one of the best benefits of going there! They didn't have ANY appts today or I would have taken him today. We see Dr. Austin tomorrow at 1:30.

You must not be a frequent flyer there. :lol Betcha I coulda got in. B) Poor Renee has given up lunch, dinner and holiday times for us. :blush

The Girls

You must not be a frequent flyer there. :lol Betcha I coulda got in. B) Poor Renee has given up lunch, dinner and holiday times for us. :blush

I helped pay for the new facility when we had Piper, our first whippet. :rolleyes: He had probably 6 surgeries to remove tumors in the 2 years we had him and we were there probably once a week. So there! :neener:lol Besides, Dr. Austin doesn't usually work Sundays and he's just wonderful (she says with a sigh :lol ), so I'll sacrifice and bring him in tomorrow. :P

Teddy had a growth in his mouth too over a year ago. The docs weren't concerned so I had it removed when he had his dental. It was benign.

I will keep good thoughts for your pup.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Vinnie

Keeping fingers crossed and thinking good things that it is something simple and that it can be taken care of quickly so that Phaelin can eat - thats a big part of the day around here - when's the next meal, we're hungry now! Can you see Gus and Gracie stomping their feet and demanding food? :lol:lol All kidding aside, hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

Sorry! Had another migraine yesterday...........

Dr. Austin isn't sure if it's an epulis or something else, so we scheduled a dental for next Tuesday and he'll remove the growth and have it biopsied then. Not sure if he'll have to remove any teeth (or anything else :( )....I guess sometimes that needs to be done if the growth is invasive. I'm just hoping that whatever it is will be benign.

Now that I'm adding water and heating his food up, Phaelin is eating his entire meal each time I feed him. I was worried about him losing weight because he wasn't finishing many of his meals, but I shouldn't have been......he's up to 70 lbs (when he usually weighs about 66-68). :huh At least he'll have a couple of extra pounds on him if he loses weight after the procedure. :rolleyes:

eta: for spelling

Edited by greypuppyluv

Guest KennelMom

A bit of extra weight on a dog w/mouth issues can never hurt. After Elvis' dental and epilus removal, he was very picky (the only thing we could get him to eat was canned Pedigree :yikes). He's back to the normal food now, but I think his gums were sore for a while (the vet found another epilus starting to grow on the other side of his mouth once he had him under and could really look).

Keeping my fingers crossed! :goodluck

(the vet found another epilus starting to grow on the other side of his mouth once he had him under and could really look).

Dr. Austin told me that it wouldn't be unusual to find more of them once he does the surgery or maybe see more of them in the future. :(

Did Elvis have anything else besides the growth removed?

Phaelin had the surgery today to remove the growth and all went well. It was sent out to pathology and we should hear back in about 5 days exactly what it was.

Luckily, Phaelin didn't lose any teeth. Dr. Austin also removed the root of another small tooth that had broken when he was a puppy and didn't get fully removed back then. The area where the growth was didn't need any stitches.....Dr. Austin just lasered it, which should help speed up healing. The root area did require a couple of stitches, though. Phaelin came home with Clavamox (antibiotic) and Deracoxib (pain med). Phaelin ate a little dinner and now he's resting comfortably and will go to work with me Wednesday so I can keep an eye on him. I'll post the path results when I get them.

Now, I'll just be chanting for the next 5 days, "Please be benign. Please be benign."

here's hoping it's benign...

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Get well soon, Phaelin.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Phaelin had the surgery today to remove the growth and all went well. It was sent out to pathology and we should hear back in about 5 days exactly what it was.

Luckily, Phaelin didn't lose any teeth. Dr. Austin also removed the root of another small tooth that had broken when he was a puppy and didn't get fully removed back then. The area where the growth was didn't need any stitches.....Dr. Austin just lasered it, which should help speed up healing. The root area did require a couple of stitches, though. Phaelin came home with Clavamox (antibiotic) and Deracoxib (pain med). Phaelin ate a little dinner and now he's resting comfortably and will go to work with me Wednesday so I can keep an eye on him. I'll post the path results when I get them.

Now, I'll just be chanting for the next 5 days, "Please be benign. Please be benign."

I'm crossing my fingers for you and Phaelin.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014