Dukes Rear Right Leg

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Dukes been having difficulty for a while now with his rear right leg. It gets better then it shakes again, then gets ok for a while, etc. He is fairly clumsy and he frequently knocks himself into things - he's like the kid with the ever bruised knee.

Today, my gf took him out and he actually fell while running around. Not good.

I am going to take him to the vet tomorrow and see what it might be.

His leg starts shaking and he walks kind of pivoting his rear leg inwards a little. When he lifts his leg to pee, it shakes and is obviously not quite able to carry the weight.

Also, he's been very lethargic these last few days. Something is going on - not quite himself. I thought it was the heat as usually turns into more of lump when its hot but I am really nervous about all of this.

He's 10 now. Could this be arthritis? Anyone else have experience with these symptoms? What should I look out for, ask the vet, etc?

Edited by Gideon

The vet should check everything for mobility and for discomfort down the spine and with the leg. He'll probably knuckle him under on the back and see how long it takes Duke to right himself. I know with Vinnie the vet had more questions for me than I did for him.

Wishing you both good luck at the vet :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Could be arthritis--hind leg tremours are a sign that he needs more pain medication.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Gideon

GF was just out walking him and tumbled down to his chest just walking normally.

We were in the park last week, he got tired, went to pee on something and tumbled. He would up with a little cut in the thin skin by the heel tendon rear leg.

He kept licking and opened that up a bit, so I began bandaging him pretty lightly bu I guess enough to inhibit some motion. Not sure if that what contributed to him falling and hurting.

Also, he is losing energy on walks quickly. Very quickly recently. Sometimes around the block is as much as he can take.

He's 10 so I wonder if this is fairly normal. We're heading to the vet tomorrow. I am really worried. Only thing normal is his appetite.

Not normal for 10, unless it's very very hot.

Vet should do bloodwork and of course check out back and leg.

All paws crossed that it's nothing much and easily remedied.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest phillychad
Dukes been having difficulty for a while now with his rear right leg. It gets better then it shakes again, then gets ok for a while, etc. He is fairly clumsy and he frequently knocks himself into things - he's like the kid with the ever bruised knee.

His leg starts shaking and he walks kind of pivoting his rear leg inwards a little. When he lifts his leg to pee, it shakes and is obviously not quite able to carry the weight.

Also, he's been very lethargic these last few days. Something is going on - not quite himself. I thought it was the heat as usually turns into more of lump when its hot but I am really nervous about all of this.

He's 10 now. Could this be arthritis? Anyone else have experience with these symptoms? What should I look out for, ask the vet, etc?

DUKE! What's wrong!

Hey Gideon, it's Chad... Scribbles woke up this morning with similar issues. I just posted but it said something about having to review my post before it can go up. Everything was fine with Scrib's last night. Woke up this morning and she was favoring her right rear leg. As the day went on it has gotten worse. We have to carry her down the steps. She will not poop because she can not support her weight because of the leg. We are really worried! It's 10pm, we are going to try to get her out to do her business in about a half hour. What is going on? Seems weird that 2 greys living next door to one another would experience the same problem at the same time. Scribbles is eating... as I am writing this she just threw up, gotta go

Guest Gideon

DUKE! What's wrong!

Hey Gideon, it's Chad... Scribbles woke up this morning with similar issues. I just posted but it said something about having to review my post before it can go up. Everything was fine with Scrib's last night. Woke up this morning and she was favoring her right rear leg. As the day went on it has gotten worse. We have to carry her down the steps. She will not poop because she can not support her weight because of the leg. We are really worried! It's 10pm, we are going to try to get her out to do her business in about a half hour. What is going on? Seems weird that 2 greys living next door to one another would experience the same problem at the same time. Scribbles is eating... as I am writing this she just threw up, gotta go

Holy cow - that is strange! How terrible about Scribs... We're taking Duke to a vet tomorrow over by 15th and Wolf - he came highly recommended by another greyhound owner.

Man, seems like everything is spiraling, don't it? We are supposed to be picking up Tankala tomorrow but we are so worried about Duke, and now Scribbles.

Give us a call if you need help - between the four of us, we gotta be able to be of some good to each other.

Guest houndstooth4

I don't want to scare you, but definitely get him in. Treat's troubles started a bit like that, but after a bit of intermittent trouble with her back leg (which we thought was an old muscle pull being reinjured) suddenly she lost her back end completely. Two nights at the vet with prednisone IV and she was back home, but in five weeks we lost her. The vet thinks it was a tumor along her spinal column, but we didn't do the tests to confirm it. It all happened so quickly and I couldn't put her through the surgery and tests that it would have taken to determine. Even if we'd known what it was, I don't know if we could have stopped it. It was very, very fast acting.

Guest LadyChester

My boy who had a really bad break in his leg (not hock) has intermittent problems with his bad leg shaking. It really throws him off kilter but he doesn't just fall down. He's 10 and he's always had problems since he came to me with that leg. Sending positive thoughts for Duke :grouphug

Any news?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest sheila

I would also have the vet check his heart. My vet told me that if the blood is not pumping efficiently it could cause some hind end weakness.

Guest Gideon

THanks for all the advice and good wishes and prayers. Still not sure whats going after the vet visit this evening.

His heart, stool, and general physical being was checked. His rear left leg is stiffer than his right for sure and he has managed to lick his little cut into an infected sore which I'm sure is making the whole thing worse.

Sooooooo, vet doesn't think its cancer - most likely arthritis. I am going to take Duke to NGAP on Thursday. In the meantime, I have anti biotics and pain killers to give Duke and this should hold us over until then.

Duke was so freaked out at the vets, quivering and shaking that I just couldn't put him through blood work. An xray was out of the question because he just wouldn't stand still - all the shaking from fear.

Guest Gideon
Thanks for the update ... hope Duke is calming down and is feeling better soon!

Well, he's begging for pasta and shrimp. I'll take that as a good sign.

Guest LadyChester

Okay ... I'm starting to worry now. Hoping Duke is doing alright :candle Maybe you're just busy picking up Tankala :goodluck

Edited by LadyChester

Guest Gideon

Tankala is tomorrow at 9. Duke spent the day with at the shop. Not Lethargic, difficult and stuborn on his walk - pretty normal.

The brightness is back in his eyes but are still worried. It will act up again and we need to get the xrays and blood work done. We're taking him to NGAP for that.