Flashy

We got the results of Flashy's blood testing this morning. He is Hypothyroid. I hope he bounces back quickly. He started Soloxine this morning. His weight has soared 10 pounds...he has lost a LOT of hair...he's cold even in this heat...and NO energy...very tired. His results:

Total Thyroxine (TT4) 5 L 15-67

Total Trnodothyronine (TT3) 0.4 L 1.0-2.5

Free T4 by dialysis 3 L 6-42

Free Triiodothyronnine (FT3) 4.9 4.5-12.0

T4 Autoantibody 13 0-20

T3 Autoantibody 7 0-10

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone 80 H 0-37

]Thyroglobuin Autoantibody 10 0-35

07/03/200812:05 00 Endocrinology Interpretation:

There is excellent evidence to indicate that reference values for thyroid hormones, especially T4 should be extended lower than those listed here for this breed of dog. However, in this case, thyroid stimulating hormone is elevated and the results support a diagnosis of Primary Hypothyroidism. Oral administration of thyroxine is indicated if this dog exhibits clinical signs of Hypothyroidism.

Patricia A. Schenck, DVM PhD

Assistan Professor

Endocrinology Section Chief

Thank you all for your good thoughts for our little man...Hope we see some positive changes quickly for our little boy. :blush

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Poor guy, he had a lot to put up with throught this "waiting period" as I'm sure you did as well. I'm glad he's back on the Soloxine and you should start to see improvement soon. Thank you for reporting back, I've been thinking about him

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I'm very glad he's back on his meds. Hope you're feeling better very soon Flashman!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest paulamariez

Poor Flashman! What a horrible time he must have had with that waiting period! But he should feel better in no time after the medicine kicks in. We had our Bridge boy Chief on that med for years. He got a new lease on life after starting the stuff! Plus he lived to the ripe old age of almost 14 too! Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Flash some "feel better soon" doggie kisses!

We and Flashy thank you all. :grouphug My goodness...he is SO hungry...so tired.

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

One of the rare true hypothyroid Greyhounds. This pattern is what you should see in the majority of cases of hypothyroidism... a low free T4 and total T4 paried with a high TSH!!!!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

One of the rare true hypothyroid Greyhounds. This pattern is what you should see in the majority of cases of hypothyroidism... a low free T4 and total T4 paried with a high TSH!!!!

Thank you Dr. Bill for all your help these past few weeks. We also heard from Dr. Couto this morning and he told us that he has only seen 2 other Hypothyroid Greyhounds. I am just happy that he can start on his Soloxine and hopefully start feeling better soon. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti,

My Kramer was hypothyroid starting at about 9 years. His only symptom was a really CRUNCHY feeling coat that was shedding a LOT. He felt MUCH better pretty quickly! It takes a little trial and error to get the dose right, but it's such an easy treatment!

Feel better soon Flashman!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank you Dr. Bill for all your help these past few weeks. We also heard from Dr. Couto this morning and he told us that he has only seen 2 other Hypothyroid Greyhounds. I am just happy that he can start on his Soloxine and hopefully start feeling better soon. :grouphug

I see a lot of Greyhounds but Dr. Couto sees more than I do and does more consults than I do too. So if he has only seen 2 other Greys with hypothyroidism... that is telling you something!

I bet if you surveyed every Greyhound on Soloxine and had owners pull their medical records less than 50% would have both a low free T4 by dialysis AND a high TSH! Remember that "response to treatment" doesn't confirm a diagnosis b/c soloxine will help coat quality, hair growth and energy levels in normal dogs.

To put it another way... saying a dog is hypothyroid because they improved on treatment only (not having the supporting labwork) is like saying that Barry Bonds was "steroid deficient" because he got bigger and stronger when he started taking anabolic steroids (allegedly).

Obviously in your case your dog does in fact have low free T4 and a high TSH which confirms the diagnosis as we discussed previously. : )

Bill

Lady

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest KRKWMU

I'm glad you figured things out officially with Flashman! :yay Sounds like it is definitely a rare condition.

Hope he is getting more energy and feeling better soon. :wub: Bonnie would send some hair, but she doesn't have a hair to spare! :lol I could do the "locks of love" program with Fixer for sure! He's not the right color, but he's been shedding terrible! Let us know how things go. :goodluck

Well Dr. Bill...you really put things into perspective! Thank you SO much for all your help regarding our Flashman! :grouphug Thanks to everyone! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Well Dr. Bill...you really put things into perspective! Thank you SO much for all your help regarding our Flashman! :grouphug Thanks to everyone! :grouphug

In Flashman's case... his "response to treatment" was in fact b/c he was hypothyroid as you posted. But a lot of Greys are put on meds w/o a high TSH level and the justification to keep them on meds is "they improved". I don't think anyone really knows what the true effect of chronic unecessary thyroid supplementation is... only lots of theories.

Bill

Lady

FeemanSiggy1.jpg