Brushing Teeth?

Guest kopaz

Guest kopaz

Do greyhounds get their teeth brushed at the tracks? I tried introducing the toothbrush for the first time and Marley would have nothing to do with it. Just curious if it is one of those things like stairs and shinny floors that they've never seen before and therefore are nervous about.

Guest anniesmom

Annie gave me a heck of a time too, but i use a Crest spin brush now, and she is ok with that-she did not like the brush at all, and the finger brush, she would clamp down on my finger (OUCH). Carron sent me a link about a similar brush, so i went to the store and just bought a soft spinbrush, and it is doing wonders.

Just do it and she will get used to it. I am not able to do Beaus, but Teddy and Chloe open their mouth and stick out their tongue when I do it. (it's really cute!) And Ms. Polli, I have to do every single night! They get used to it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I very much doubt they brush teeth at tracks. I have seen way too many greyhounds straight off the track with simply AWFUL teeth. But maybe in some places... don't know, don't work in the industry.

If your grey doesn't like the toothbrush, you might want to try the finger thimble thingy instead... Merlin doesn't dislike it as much as the actual toothbrush.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Stretchy

I believe that the trick is the toothpaste. When we first adopted Stretchy, we tried a minty one and he resisted. We tried a poultry one and he also wasn't too pleased. Then, we switched to a peanut flavored one and he LOVES it (tastes nothing like peanuts by the way). He licks it off the tube and gives me no trouble at all. When we adopted Isis a few months ago, she was heitant at first about getting her teeth brushed. We use an Oral-B Cross Action battery-operated brush and she must have been leery of the sound. Like her brother, she really liked the flavor of the toothpaste and also licked it from the tube. All it took was for her to see how Stretchy got his teeth brushed (and got to lick the toothpaste from the tube as a 'treat) and she allowed me to brush her teeth.

And, some people use raw bones instead. We do raw bones here, and don't brush, and the pups have fine teeth.

To your original question, I'm pretty sure they don't brush at the track. Too many dogs, too little time. And I know LOTS of dogs owners, of all breeds, that never heard of brushing.

Guest FullMetalFrank

My hound likes the mint flavored doggy toothpaste. It took awhile for him to figure out how to cooperate for the toothbrushing but now he appears to look forward to it, I use a mixture of Wysong denta-treat and mint toothpaste and he likes to try and lick the brush, I want to try a spin brush!