Beau And His Leg... Off To The Vet Again

As some of you may remember, Memorial Day 07, Beau had a major accident with his right rear leg that required major othopedic surgery, screws etc. Vet said in his 35 years, he had never seen something so bad. The vet renamed Beau-- BOZO.

No more Bozo moves!

Anyway, he healed wonderfully and quickly. After about 6 months, every once in a while, he would stop using that leg altogether. This would sometimes continue for 3-6 weeks at a time.

I would bring him in, they would manipulate the leg and would just say, give it time. They said that it could be the start of arthritis because of the ortho injury.

The last time this happened (May "08), he was due for his dental, so we had it ex-rayed. Everything was OK and there was absolutely no sign of arthritis. We are all baffled and the use of the leg cam back full force.....

Until 4 days ago. He is once again not using the leg. He tripods around. He does not appear to be in any pain. He is happy,silly and even will jump up on me when it's time for his walkie, which we are cutting short.

So, just to be on the safe side, we are going in today at 12:30.

Any thoughts?

***UPDATE***

-OY-

poor Beau Beau.

Vet felt no swelling but the tendons were very tight and he screamed.

Felt it could be either trauma to a already suscepible leg in which case rest rest rest is in order OR possibly another rip which wouldn't show in any other way other than lameness or exploratory.

Her feeling is that since the x-ray in May was clean, we should keep him rested, give him deramaxxfor the next 2 weeks and if nothing changes, we will have to sedate him to have the leg manipulated to see what's up.

As she said, he should NOT be going through this every 3 months.

He screamed like the Queen Brave boy he is, my heart was being ripped out, he was so scared.

So, once again... we wait.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Snowy8

As an arthritus sufferer, I hurt even where there is no arthritus on the xrays. Even my implants hurt sometimes. This week I could barely use my left leg. After a few days of resting, some tylenol, I'm okay. They're probably the same way. With as much as they had to do to his leg, it could also be the soft tissue. When I mentioned to the ortho doctor that my joints in my new knees hurt, he said no...its the soft tissue. So maybe that's what is bothering him.

I hope he's okay though. Kiss him some smooshy kisses from his Miss Heehoo.

According to my vet, arthritis doesn't always show on an xray. And I'm not sure what your weather is like but I know that can cause a flare up. Kiss that big lug from us and let us know how the appt goes. Hope tonight isin't too bad

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending prayers. Update us as you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending lots of prayers and white lights. :bighug:hope:hope:hope:candle

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Just seeing this now - you will be at the vet's. Always a worry when things happen with our hounds for no apparent reason. The only good thing is that this has been going on for so long, which seems to rule out some the the scariest possibilities. Will be watching for an update, and sending :kiss2 to handsome Beau.

A friend's dog has a leg similar to that. She had a sort-of repaired broken hock but from time to time it would go out and she wouldn't walk on it. An ortho vet said no running or bouncing for 6 months. She needed to be leashed walked too. It was awful but she did it. The girl seems fine now (most of time).

Marcia in SC

Poor guy, and you need to be telling that vet his name is not Bozo!! Hopefully the Deramax will do the trick.Usually that kicks in in about 2-3 days so hopefully you see good results. Good luck tonight!! We'll be thinking of you guys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

The hardest part for Beau is NO WALKIES. He is the walking king. He will happily walk in RAIN, snow, cold, blustery, whatever kind of weather. He knows the routine so well, that if we don't move quick enough after he finishes breakfast and dinner, he will wait by the front door and nose the leashes and WHINE... then if we are still not moving quick enough, he will instigate the others by barking and rooing in their faces until they start barking and rooing until a full blown roo fest is happening.

that gets us moving!

Unfortunately, we can't take him. he is sad. :(

On a good note, it looks like he WANTS to walk today and is putting a LITTLE more weight on it today. (whereas the past 2 days he was not his usualy happy self)

So, we will continue to take it day by day.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

That's a tough one Robin. They get into a routine and then when you have to break it, they don't understand why. When Misty hurt her foot and couldn't walk I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Luckily the guy next door knows my dogs well so I paid him to walk Ekko and Wayne and I took Misty just out in the front so she at least got to go out and I could just let her slowly walk around.Once the Deramax kicks in Beau should feel much better and maybe can handle a slower and shorter walk. The others may not be happy but at least Beau can be part of the walk.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Aw, Robin, I'm sorry to hear Beau can't have his walkies. :( Continued good thoughts for Beau and his bum leg. Feel better, sweet pea. :kiss2