What Are The Symptoms Of Intestinal Blockage?

Guest got2now

Guest got2now

This is about the 7th time my brindle boy has eaten something he wasn't supposed to since we got him almost a year ago. He likes fluffy, foamy, fabric-y things like gardening gloves with rubbery fingers. Each time he's eaten something, I've taken him to get an x-ray or have the vet induce vomitting, but this time, I didn't know he ate anything until he pooped it out. I keep finding chunks of these green, rubbery gardening gloves in the yard. It's the weekend, and the e-vet is really expensive, and I'm tired of going to the vet every time this happens :riphair . What are the symptoms of intestinal blockage? Do I really need to go to the e-vet tonight? Do other people whose dogs eat everything rush to the vet everytime? Would love some advice. Thanks.

Melissa

I wouldn't wait, I'd go and in the future, make sure things are put away so this doesn't keep happening.

But seriously, I would take him.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest MnMDogs

I have a boy who gets into a lot of stuff as well. If he's pooping and eating normally, I don't know that it would be a problem to watch and wait. Does your vet give advice over the phone? Maybe for peace of mind you could call as well.

Guest jhev1

The last time Spartacus ate something, I brought him to the evet, they wouldn't even look at him unless he was showing signs of blockage. I mean they never came to the other side of the counter, just looked at him from a few feet away and said unless he shows signs of blockage, nothing to do but wait. They suggested bulking, feeding a few slices of white bread. I brought him to my regular vet when they opened, they took an xray that showed nothing. They did give me something to help move things along. Unfortunately, the only signs I remember were loss of appitite and trying unsuccessfully to poop.

Hope he feels better soon.

Guest sheila

If it all seems to be coming out on the other end OK I wouldn't do the E-vet routine unless he starts showing signs of distress. I also think that the chances are if the pieces are being pooped out the danger time has passed. If you want to try and flush him out you can try giving him a healthy dose of mineral oil down his throat and that will grease things up and get them moving. If you do this be prepared and alert to take your dog out on a moments notice though.

Guest Vinnie

No advice, just sending hugs as it sounds like you could use one :grouphug:grouphug

I second the thought on just calling to confirm what others have said, if he is pooping and it is coming out, it sounds like he's doing pretty good. But I would definitely watch for signs of stress (heavy panting, pacing) - bloating or blockage. And on Monday maybe call your vet just to make sure that he doesn't want you to come in and how long you should be worrying for (more than normal that is) :lol

And I would definitely take a look around and do a "baby proofing" review - our little girl doesn't take things but our little boy (18 weeks) - he's a turbo charged hoover - and when their uncle comes over - he's extremely tall and loves to counter surf (among other things), we really have to watch. So each day we look around just to see what they could reach or may interest them enough to get into and then move it if we even think it may interest them. This only takes a couple of minutes and then I don't worry so much. I thought my baby proofing days were over, especially since our son is 22 - who knew? :lol:lol:lol

Good luck, hope he's feeling better quickly.

Edited by Vinnie

My Garry ate a magic eraser the day after we got him...vet said as long as he was pooping and eating to just keep an eye on him. Everything came out fine!

he also loves soft, rubbery things so I make sure everything he

"likes" is out of his reach; basically baby proof the house for the dog!

Edited by dbullwinkel

Guest VelvetEars

vomiting, lethargy, and fever are also signs of a blockage (Jane had a blockage where her stomach goes into the intestine). She didn't make it. But from the time she ate the bone to the time we took her to the vet knowing something was seriously wrong was about 12 hours.

Guest snakes

we didn't have a blockage here, but some signs that one was very close to happening was pooping only very liquidy poop (smaller amounts) and vomiting breakfast more than once (she re-ate it a couple time- they are fast with food!).

I would say if he's pooping it out and poops are fairly normal and there is no vomiting and he doesn't seem uncomfortable (pacing, whinig, tender belly, ect) then let him be.

I can sympathize since rubbery things gets my girl going two, thats how i lost two bra's on separate occasions and a bunch of condoms once! Luckily one passed normally, the other we caught her right away and induced vomiting with diluted hydrogen peroxide. the first bra though we were at the e-vet, luckily it was almsot at the end of its journey and they were able to get it out! that first experience was with the liquid poop and vomiting.

Guest got2now

Thanks for the good information. I am going to call our regular vet and watch him closely. He keeps pooping the stuff out and seems to feel fine, which is good, I guess. I do keep things out of his reach - all the stuffies and toys are put away now; I even bought a special chew-proof bed, but with sticks and rocks and the occasional gloves placed on a table, two kids and upholstered furniture, it's hard to keep your entire life raised above a 4 foot level every minute. I do try. Thanks for the hugs, Vinnie, and the prayers, rschultz!

Edited by got2now

Guest FullMetalFrank

I hope everything comes out OK, (literally!) and keep us updated, OK? Mine had a bandaged tail from an accident with the storm door and one of the bandages went unnacounted for; I was a little panicked but found the whole thing in the yard (in poop) the next morning. I know this sounds gross, but for your own peace of mind I would collect the glove parts as you find them and that way you can get a clearer picture of how much is passing thru.

Guest gr84me

Brody had a blockage after eating a very small part of a dog toy (a rubber tire). He pooped, ate, peed, drank normally for almost a week, then started upchucking clear liquid, which was when I took him to the e-vet. A small part of what was once a very rubbery toy had hardened and was blocking his duodenum; if I'd waited a few hours longer, he would have died. There's a thread here somewhere about it. Brody pooped out much of the toy, but the important part was still there and causing the blockage ... it's really hard to check through poop and try to determine the exact amount of foreign material, believe me. A trip to the vet tomorrow wouldn't hurt, and to the e-vet tonight if the dog shows signs of distress. I really wavered between not over-reacting and going to the vet, but since I've experienced a true blockage, in the future I'd go back to the vet in a heartbeat if I even thought it was a possibility. This is one case where hours count.

BTW, a regular X-ray won't show rubber or plastic. I took Brody to the vet the day after the incident and that vet took Xrays and didn't see anything. Good thing I went to a more thorough vet. A good vet will be able to palpate the area and find the blockage. If they suggest giving a barium Xray, ask them if they can use another substance besides barium, just to be on the safe side. The vet who found the blockage and performed the surgery said that if I'd have tried to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, the pieces were so big that they probably would have been caught in Brody's esophagus. I have no idea how he managed to swallow so much so fast and how he got those pieces down; the whole incident took about a minute.

I just saw a list yesterday of the most common things vets extract from dogs' obstructed intestines. At the top of the list were pantyhose, socks, toys :blush , corn cobs, coins, yarn/string, hair ribbons and hair ties (elastic thingies), and I can't remember the rest of them. I can't find the ranked list right now or I'd post a link.

BTW, the cost for the operation was around $1,800 plus followup care. I learned that it's a lot cheaper to keep stuff away from the dog ;)

Edited by gr84me

I wait until there's a symptom.

When Joseph ate The $2,103.99 (plus tax) Toy, I did call my vet, who said there wasn't much they'd do unless and until it caused a problem. If they eat something sharp or potentially poisonous (coins, for example) or magnetic, the answer might be different, but for ordinary rubber/plastic products, vets usually hope "this too shall pass."

Joseph didn't have a problem until EIGHT MONTHS later. Whereupon he spent Thanksgiving weekend at the emergency vet hospital and had surgery the Monday. He'd passed most of it much earlier, but there was still a piece in his stomach.

One of the vets at my practice is rather well-known in the area for removing a roll of dollar bills that were blocking a dog's intestines. Nothing is safe, eh? Hope your pupper passes everything OK.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hopefully it will pass. The vet can't do any thing until he know where the blockage is or if there is a blockage.

One of our females will put anything in her mouth. She wears a muzzle unless she is crated or we are sitting with here. It is for her own safety.

prayers and white light this too shall pass

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)