Mazie's Mri Is Done

Guest BooMooandDoo

Guest vahoundlover

This sounds similar to the surgery one of the dogs in our group just went thru except hers was in her neck. She went down running in the yard and was paralyzed :( The last update I got Patty was doing really well and should make a complete recovery.

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys. :grouphug

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Machbragal

Adding my thoughts -- you've had my prayers. I'm glad there are options. I'm routing for surgery, but will support any decision! Thinking of you all!

Good luck with your decision. I'll keep Mazie in my prayers.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

she has a herniated disc between L7 and S1.

she has a lot of movement between this junction when there should be none.

there appears to be no injury, so he thinks its genetic.

Are they talking about a fusion for her? I have malformed lumbar vertabrae for which I had a fusion when I was 11 yo. It was very painful & something I would never, ever want to go through again. However, I will probably do just that sometime in the next few years because I now have vertabrae slipping sideways off the ones below. In essence I've got a milder version of what Mazie has. In retrospect, my fusion had relatively little disruption on my life as a whole. The major pain was gone in weeks. Minor intermittent aching lasted for a while longer but was easily handled by aspirin. It isn't something I would put a very senior dog through. However, a younger dog already in pain or with impairment you could hope to improve is a very different thing.

For humans in my situation, conservative management is the normal route. For now that is working for me. Few would even know I have a problem. What would send me to surgery? Well, a ruptured disc or cauda equina would make it imperative. Escalating pain or evidence of nerve damage would have me talking to a surgeon also.

Sending good thoughts for Mazie, whatever you decide.

Edited by kudzu