? Glucosamine/chondroitin/msm Complication

Guest mymigreyts

Guest mymigreyts

Can anyone let me know if they've had any complications with the use of this supp and altering labs, in particular low potassium?

Kris

Can you give any more details? What happened?

I have used Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM in all of mine without issue.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest greytlady

I put all my seniors on synovi G3 and haven't had any issues. Hardy is fine. He is 12 and has been on it for at least 3 or 4 years.

Guest mymigreyts

Can anyone let me know if they've had any complications with the use of this supp and altering labs, in particular low potassium?

Kris

Hound developed a pawing motion to front feet mid am...thought it was odd but resolved shortly after she noted it, normal day of activities, ate, later in the evening developed coordination problems and was rushed tot he vet...vet could find nothing on exam and the K= was very low...liver, kidney cbc etc all normal....hound demonstrated acute thrist near second event but consumption don't match the rest of the electrolytes being balanced....

Guest mymigreyts
And then what happned?

the hound died...the vet had nothng to start searching for in the exam or the labs as far as cause...fluid supplimentation was provided to help but the event was so acute there wasn't enough time to see if labs wouldhave been more directional later when drawn....

Guest mymigreyts
so what makes you suspect the food suppliment?

Only a thought...some supps etc, like medications, have effects on other things in the body...hound and human...this from being a nurse...and this is why I sat up tinking about some sort of a link because this was just a route to explore when there wasn't another direction...we have several hounds on the same supp with no ill-effects...never said the supp was the cause....just trying to see if anyone else has had issues with anyting similar while using the supp and off electrolytes...I do know the supp can cause a suppression of appetite...from my own use and on a hound...stopped taking and appetite returned...

Kris

My guess is that the joint supplements would be pretty far down on the list as far as culprits go. Had the dog exercised excessively? Any other clues?

And I'm very sorry for your loss :(

ETA: just saw it wasn't your hound, but condolences to the owner.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest mymigreyts
My guess is that the joint supplements would be pretty far down on the list as far as culprits go. Had the dog exercised excessively? Any other clues?

And I'm very sorry for your loss :(

ETA: just saw it wasn't your hound, but condolences to the owner.

Nothing abnormal....just what was stated...no excessive exercise...can't becasue of hind end deformity and lives in the A/C...

The supp coorolation was way down the list but....there's nothing else to go with...and labs don't support dehydration....

Kris

Guest KennelMom

I've never experienced any adverse reaction to a joint supplement. Sorry to hear about this hound :( I'd guess they got into something they shouldn't have or a pre-existing condition that had just never been diagnosed.

Guest LynnM

Any diarrhea/vomiting before? Prolonged fever (hard panting, very warm to touch, even if temp not taken)? Dehydration? Any other medications, especially diuretics (including caffeine/alcohol)? Was the dog off its food beforehand?

Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements would be far down on the list of suspects.

Lynn

So- there was fluid supplementation with the hypokalemia, but presumably that didn't include a slug of potassium as the test results hadn't come back yet?

Any chance it was an arrest from an arrhythmia due to the hypokalemia? (Or, if there was specific treatment, delivering too much potassium too fast?)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest mymigreyts

I've not yet got the actual fluid and or added supps to the fluids used on this one...if the vet added fluids without supp of K+...I'll kill him myself and it's not my hound, although I did the home visit and her adoption...remember this is a former hound rescue person herslf...she's beat herself up silly trying to discove the "cause" and nothing...the hound didn't eat, drink, travel walk or get into anything...no change in intake, no change in stool....nothing but what's been posted....that's what makes this little one a mystery and so bothersome....I'm gonna have to rest this one and realize...we might never know...she's at rest now and free of any pain she might have been in...Thanks All!

Just a quick wander through the Merck Veterinary Manual online for the keyword "hypokalemia" comes up with some hits, mostly aiming towards different drugs or the occasional neoplasm- but this one stood out just a bit- chocolate ingestion (emphasis mine):

"Clinical signs of chocolate toxicosis usually occur within 6-12 hr of ingestion. Initial signs may include polydipsia, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal distention, and restlessness. Signs may progress to hyperactivity, polyuria, ataxia, tremors, and seizures. Tachycardia, premature ventricular contractions, tachypnea, cyanosis, hypertension, hyperthermia, bradycardia, hypotension, or coma may occur. Hypokalemia may occur late in the course of the toxicosis, contributing to cardiac dysfunction. Death is generally due to cardiac arrhythmias, hyperthermia, or respiratory failure. The high fat content of chocolate products may trigger pancreatitis in susceptible animals."

That's the only one I could find that didn't have other, overt symptoms (such as those that would be seen with diseases causing massive diarrhea, etc.). But surely some of the other signs would have been obvious as well.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)