Raising A Blind Greyhound?

Guest nuthatch46201

Guest nuthatch46201

GPAIndy has received a 4 year old greyhound who is blind. At first his foster parents thought she was just shy. Later they discovered that she was blind. I am drawn to her because I have traditionally taken in older dogs or others that are difficult to place. (No dog should feel unwanted, right?) I am wondering how I would go about teaching her a new house and new environment-stairs, walks on strange streets. Help. Joan

I don't have the expereince you are looking for, but i sure hope you get it so you can give this girl a home sooner rather than later.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest KennelMom

Our girl has gone blind since we've had her (due to PRA). She adjusts amazingly well. She definitely does better when kept with another hound from our pack - if she goes some place I take an extra pup along with us for company. Dogs don't rely on sight the way humans do and they have the amazing ability to mentally map their environment pretty quickly. Even in a large yard with 15 other dogs wandering around, the only time our blind girl collides with someone is if they stop very abruptly. I don't know if she can smell 'em or what, but she'll be walking dead straight at something, get within a foot or two and change direction to go around them. It's amazing. I keep telling myself that I need to get some video.

I do talk to her a lot...esp when we are outside or going some place...she learned "hup" for stairs pretty quickly as well as "easy" - which just means slow down and let me help you.

When Hanna was diagnosed the opthamologist gave us a lot of literature about living with blind dogs...much of the info is online too. I can post some links when I get home tomorrow. You can mark things with scents or use different texture rugs around the house to alert them to stairs or other obstacles. Basically, though, just give the dog a bit of time to figure things out on their own and don't rearrange the furniture often. ;)

I wouldn't hesitate to adopt a blind dog in the future.

I don't have a blind greyhound, but I have a blind beagle/foxhound mix. She had been in a shelter for nine months when I brought her home. She made a mental map of our house in less than an hour. Unless you know she's blind, you wouldn't know it. I would never hesitate to adopt another blind dog. We have had a few adjustment issues, but nothing that has to due with her blindness, just the rambunctiousness of a 2 year old dog.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest nuthatch46201
God bless her. I think you would be great for each other.

Thank you all for writing. And for all of your suggestions and info. I found a web site that suggested a book on raising blind doggies as well. Haven't checked my library to see if its available but will. I am not quite ready to adopt another girl yet. I keep hoping Monet will show back up on my doorstep alive and well. But a needy little other girl might just help with that. Joan

Thank you all for writing. And for all of your suggestions and info. I found a web site that suggested a book on raising blind doggies as well. Haven't checked my library to see if its available but will. I am not quite ready to adopt another girl yet. I keep hoping Monet will show back up on my doorstep alive and well. But a needy little other girl might just help with that. Joan

I thought I recognized your screen name, you're Monet's mom. Just want you to know we always keep her in our prayers.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmilyAnne

I had a blind pointer mix. His name was Alfalfa. He had our house memorized. The kids really had to keep their toys picked up off the floor as much as possible. They have a child size table that helped keep toys off the floor. Alfalfa relied on our other dog Riley to go up and down stairs first, and would not go up or down stairs until Riley went first. He would listen as Riley did it, (stairs are wood), and then he would go. We taught him commands such as up (for curbs and such) and then steps, meaning their would be steps such as at someone else's house. I kept Alfalfa on a leash when at other people's houses. Alfalfa was fully blind for approx. the last four years of his life. He was the best dog in the world. 100% reliable with children, always obeyed, extremely sweet, twice as protective of me and the kids when hubby was not home, and smart. It was funny to watch him bark viciously in the wrong direction cause he was blind. :lol I love my current dogs very much, but there's no way I'll ever find another dog like Alfalfa. I was very blessed to have him. He passed away in my arms on Sept. 27th, 2007. I'd very gladly adopt another blind dog if I was looking to adopt. :)

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest greyindy

DD works for the vet that sees her. She said Aya is a real sweety. Aya's foster parents fostered both my girls :) I don't have any suggestions but do wish you the best of luck if you decide to adopt her. I still pray that Monet shows up.

Guest mecki

One of my greyhounds Sully, is blind with PRA...and exactly what KennelMom says.

His brother is also blind and his owner adopted and brought him into their home with other greyhounds maybe a year ago. The last I heard she said that he was doing very well.

I would also second what EmilyAnne said about not hesitating to adopt a blind dog. :)

Guest nuthatch46201

DD works for the vet that sees her. She said Aya is a real sweety. Aya's foster parents fostered both my girls :) I don't have any suggestions but do wish you the best of luck if you decide to adopt her. I still pray that Monet shows up.

Is that Dr. Geckler? He has been my vet for 35 years. He was just out of school when we took our Weimaraner to him. J

Prayers for the safe return of Monet.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Our Copper isn't completely blind, but I'm sure his cataracts will make him so in the next several years. He loses toys and treats if you throw them and he doesn't follow it, but other than that he acts just like his younger brother and sister. He runs the "track" outside at full speed, goes up and down the stairs (though we had to teach him to go slowly and not race with the other two), he plays inside and out with toys and the others. Just like normal!

We had a Great Dane that also went blind from cataracts and she didn't seem to be bothered much either. As long as she had another dog to follow she was just fine.

I'd say Go For It!!!!!

greysmom ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest twilliams

My daughter, Becky, adopted a blind broodie while she was living with us. Kayla did so well. She took things slowly at first and there were no problems. She mapped out our house and navigated well. We have a two story house and have a set of porch steps. She ran with the other hounds and many times wandered on her own. Somehow or another she managed to capture a baby bunny!

Guest greyindy

Is that Dr. Geckler? He has been my vet for 35 years. He was just out of school when we took our Weimaraner to him. J

No she works (very part-time now that she has graduated college and has another full time job) for Dr & Dr Kapke in Greenwood.

Oh you had a weimer? Our neighbors across the street do. They were one of the dogs I considered along with Greyhounds when my Dal died.

Guest nuthatch46201

No she works (very part-time now that she has graduated college and has another full time job) for Dr & Dr Kapke in Greenwood.

Oh you had a weimer? Our neighbors across the street do. They were one of the dogs I considered along with Greyhounds when my Dal died.

I had Weims for about 10 years. Gave them up when I got too old to handle such a strong dog. Greys are perfect for me now. Also I tend to take in older greys. I am not up to too active a dog anymore. I just miss Monet so much. Bout the time I get another, she will show up, right? Don't I wish.

I found this link when looking around this morning:

http://www.blinddogs.com/support.htm

There seems to be some good information there that can hopefully help you.

My Chow/Shiba Inu mix went blind about 1.5 yrs. ago due to SARDS, I joined the board you listed above, it has a WEALTH of information. It really taught me how to work with her, lots of good information and moral support. She's doing well now, it's just tough to watch her go through the normal aging process. She was a very active hunter, she has slowed down a lot, though she still tries to hunt occasionally.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greyindy

I had Weims for about 10 years. Gave them up when I got too old to handle such a strong dog. Greys are perfect for me now. Also I tend to take in older greys. I am not up to too active a dog anymore. I just miss Monet so much. Bout the time I get another, she will show up, right? Don't I wish.

If (and I hope she does) Monet shows up she might be a greyt sister to Aya. They might be good for each other.

Joan I am so sorry Monet has not been found yet. I have been looking at the web site and saw a special needs grey and wondered what her problem was. I just lost my first grey today Ricco. I would love to adopt Einstein but its too soon and I am not wanting another grey. Its too hard financially on my own now since both my sister and mother passed away with 2 years of each other.

Make a fast friend adopt a greyhound

springflat.jpg

Guest VelvetEars

My Jane lost her sight for awhile after a stroke. I think it would come and go as she recovered. But she did quite well. We had to make sure not to move anything that would obstruct her paths, and she was more cautious on the stairs than she had been before the stroke, but she did just fine. I would not hesitate to bring a blind dog home. Their other senses compensate quite well, and as they get accustomed to their home, they act pretty much like any other dog. You just have to remember they can't see you coming, so it helps to talk to them as you approach, or if you're leaving the room, that sort of thing, so they know where you are.

And as one other poster said, having a code word for things like steps, or to get them to go slow and let you help, will make a huge difference. For Jane, that word was "wait". I had taught it to her long before the stroke when she'd go barrelling down the stairs and I needed her to stop on the stairs before she got to the bottom so I could open the door (there wasn't room on the landing for her AND the opening door). Since she knew what "wait" meant, though, I could use it in other circumstances where I needed her to stop and do something to make it safe for her, or to help her (getting into the car, for instance). Consistency is key.

Guest nuthatch46201
Joan I am so sorry Monet has not been found yet. I have been looking at the web site and saw a special needs grey and wondered what her problem was. I just lost my first grey today Ricco. I would love to adopt Einstein but its too soon and I am not wanting another grey. Its too hard financially on my own now since both my sister and mother passed away with 2 years of each other.

I am so sorry about Ricco. It's so hard to lose one of these big babies. They all have such a presence in the house. The silence of an empty space is the loudest sound in the universe. You have had too many losses already. Big Hug Joan

If (and I hope she does) Monet shows up she might be a greyt sister to Aya. They might be good for each other.

Do you all think I would have to get another greyhound to help her along? I'm not sure I am up to two anymore.Joan

Guest nuthatch46201

Einstein is a hoot. I have thought about taking him, but am intrigued with Aya. Bev thinks he is a super grey. I am only waiting to hear from Bev that they have had time to review the website before I ask for more information on Aya. Could take Aya and Able, one old and one blind. They could help each other. And I need to give myself a little more time without Monet. Maybe if I take Aya Monet will come home. Joan

Guest beejer

My close friend is fostering Aya. My first grey was Crystal who I lost several years ago. After about a year I opened my heart to Ginger and she has owned it ever since. I had hoped to hear that Monet had been returned. I canvassed the area several days myself and still continued to drive the area on my way to and from work thinking I may see her with someone who had taken her in. It has to be difficult without closure. I'm sure when you are ready for another dog you will find the perfect one to fill your heart. I see several old GPAers have replied on this site and just want to say Hello!

bj

Guest nuthatch46201

I am grateful for all the help I have been given by GPAers and I really appreciate you continuing to look for her. I am going to put up more flyers over the weekend. Some people on here have volunteered to help with calls and faxes so I will get a list of those ready as well. I don't know if I will ever be able to stop looking for her. I still think I have seen my husband on the street and it's been 7 years since he died.

Could you have Aya's foster mom get in touch with me through Bev or through my personal email joanhm@mac.com, please? I would like to just talk to her about what they foresee for her prognosis. Thanks Joan