Car Ramps-anyone Have One?

Does anyone have one?

I'd need one that is light weight and easy to use/store

thanks

Sorry, meant to add that I need ideas where to buy one

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I made one. Lightweight wood (pine) about 2 feet wide. I cut it in the middle, and added hinges and a handle. (and hook to keep it closed while I'm carrying it) The outside is carpeted so that they have footing. (cut at the same place as the wood) Took all of 1/2 hr to make and is cheap and lightweight.

I could do that

I was just looking online for something plastic but didn't see anything that was light weight

Thanks for the idea :)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I bought this one from Petsmart. Pet Ramp I bought it when Alex got sick (he was 85 lbs). The dogs didn't like it. After losing Alex, I gave up using it and I lift them in and out of my SUV.

Guest Artemis

I went to PetCo and bought the JEEP brand ramp. It weighs 20 pounds and folds into 3 sections which are easy to set up to the door of your car. It ran around $115.00. The walking surface is green and has the texture of sandpaper. I got it for my grey when her lameness of the rear legs made it difficult for her to jump into the back seat of my SUV. She resisted it at first but after several trys she walked up the ramp with gentle coaching. Using the ramp from the get go has got to be easier on their legs and back.

Guest tricolorhounds

We have this one from costco Do not get this one... It weighs a TON... could easily pinch off fingers if you're not super careful.... and the dogs hate it.

I have one--somewhere in the basement! I bought it for my old dog (75 pounds of solid muscle!) when he had a TPLO (major leg surgery). The day I picked him up at the hospital, I got the ramp out, started to set it up at the back of my mini SUV, and before I got the damn thing set just right he had jumped in on three legs!

I never once did get him to walk up it!

It does make a fine platform for my storage unit in the basement of my condo. I got mine from Orvis; it's wood, pretty lightweight, cost me a good amount of money, and never got used!

George (my hound) has actually jumped in the tailgate of my SUV through the window before I got the gate down! This is a dog who refuses to get on the bed--clearly it isn't a lack of jumping skill!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest GreytMuse

We use this one. I found it on ebay for $35, I think.

We bought it for our olden Golden, to use with our van, since her hips are getting a bit wonky now. I think longer might have been better, to have the smallest slope possible. It is light weight, and carpeted for traction. We're still training the pups to use it, since they weren't real thrilled and all just tried to jump in around it at first.

We have this one from costco Do not get this one... It weighs a TON... could easily pinch off fingers if you're not super careful.... and the dogs hate it.

I have the same one. You do have to watch your fingers, but I found it a LOT easier to use than the telescoping kind or the tri-fold kind.

It is not especially light in weight -- 18 lbs or so? VERY sturdy however. Dunno if an aluminum or plywood one would be much lighter.

Dogs are probably out of practice now, but it wasn't too hard to teach them to use it. I just put it flat on the floor first, then put one end up on couch/bed, etc.

I haven't used it in @ a year. Joseph finally decided he would do my little foamboard steps, so we use those instead.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have an aluminum, 7 ft folding ramp that I bought used. Aluminum Ramp It works very well, easy to use, light for it's length & the dogs used it willingly. (Goat used it but not as willingly.) I like the length because it prevents such a steep angle. That may be why the pups use it with less problems. However, longer means it takes up more space though still fits in trunk of my Prius without a prob. Longer also means you need more space to set it up. So far that has not been a problem for me but may could be if space was tight.

If your dog is wary of a ramp & only need a little help, another idea is a plastic step. Mine is super light, compact & certainly easy to use. My dog with hindend weakness would use the ramp but turned out the step was all he really needed to get into car or truck.

I bought this one for Vinnie. http://dogramp.com/

It has sides and carpet, and depending which one you need/buy, it weighs anywhere from 7-22 pounds. I think mine weighs 20. They are always making new models, so the one I have is similar to what you see on the site. They were super fast and I was very pleased though Vinnie wasn't. I also used it for the two steps off our porch when his back got really bad, so it did come in handy. :)

Adding: They did not make the triple ramp at the time. If they had, I would have purchased it so there was less of an incline in to the trailblazer. It wasn't bad, and we managed, but as his back got worse, he needed less of an incline. If your vehicle doesn't sit that high in the rear, then double would be fine.

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest HHDesigns

When are the car manufacturers going to figure out to make SUV's with a ramp built into the back that slides out? Car manufacturers are getting very pet friendly and this would be a very good idea! Part of the problem with any ramp is that you have to open the back to get it out and the dogs either jump in or out before you wrangle the dang thing out. (Unless your vehicle is big enough to keep it somewhere else) My crew is getting older so I've been thinking about this also ...

Guest HeatherDemps

I've seen some online but they weren't long enough for what I needed since I have an SUV. DH made one for Dempsey and even before the amputation Dempsey wouldn't use it.....

We bought a ramp for Cullen when he had trouble getting in and out of the trailer. It's metal, folds in half and has a non-slip surface. It works fine. I think it's discontinued. Bought it for $50 at Odd Job Lot. It's heavy for me though, so I wouldn't want to use it every time he had to get in and out of the van. Thank God vans are low enough for most dogs to get in and out of easily w/o needing a ramp.

Our home-made styrofoam steps worked the best for us. I sure wish we still had ours.

Marcia