Is It Necessary To Bath?

Guest Ally

Guest Ally

Hi, I was wondering if it is necessary to bath greyhounds? I have given Lea a bath once and Gordon never. Had them 3 years and they never seem to need it. They don't get dirty as they never roll around in the dirt. They seem to keep themselves clean by giving themselves a good lick down!

What's the general consensus on this?

Guest Scouts_mom

My rule of thumb is "if they smell like a dog, or feel dirty, or Mindy has more spots than normal then it is time for a bath." Generally mine get bathed a couple times a year. Of course at least one of those times is a fundraiser to support my adoption group--they get bathed then whether they need it or not. :bath

I have 2 swamp dogs at the moment... they went running in the muck yesterday - or one ran through it, the other laid down in it.

Mine get it when they need it

I have 2 swamp dogs at the moment... they went running in the muck yesterday - or one ran through it, the other laid down in it.

Mine get it when they need it

I have never given any of mine a bath. Although with Ekko now that will change. I have always just used the bath wipes.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Mine get bathed when they actually smell like dogs. It's only about 3 times a year, unless they get into something really foul or Tiny pees on Raven. :rolleyes:

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

Morty once in a while smells like Dog , then he gets a Bath . Perhaps 4-5 times a Year . I take him to a "doityourself "

Doggiewash. It's not so traumatic. :unsure

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Ally

Thanks guys, that's all I need to know ie I'm not doing anything wrong. We're babysitting our friends terrier mix and she smells like dog. I kind of get used to the fact that greyhounds don't really smell, the only time they do is when they get back from their holidays at the kennels. I bought some 'after shampoo' spray with aloe vera and coconut when I was visiting my parents in the states so they always smell like sun tan lotion AFTER they get back from kennels as I give them a good dosing! They do seem to clean themselves though so until they don't/can't I'll just leave them.

Thanks guys, that's all I need to know ie I'm not doing anything wrong. We're babysitting our friends terrier mix and she smells like dog. I kind of get used to the fact that greyhounds don't really smell, the only time they do is when they get back from their holidays at the kennels. I bought some 'after shampoo' spray with aloe vera and coconut when I was visiting my parents in the states so they always smell like sun tan lotion AFTER they get back from kennels as I give them a good dosing! They do seem to clean themselves though so until they don't/can't I'll just leave them.

Sounds like my new girl Ellie B. I just adopted her a couple of weeks ago and she has the kennel/vets smell. Gotta give her a bath this week. I had to wait for the spay sutures to dissolve. But it ia unique smell ain't it?? :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest Greytluv

Mine get baths. I love the way they feel afterwards. I think they feel better afterwards, as well.

About every other month.

Guest Ally

God yeah, ours smell like straw and other dogs. I bought this coconut spray from World Market when I was visiting my parents in Charleston and they sit there wondering why they smell of sun tan lotion!!!

Can't believe how much other dogs smell though, I only stroked Mani for a few seconds and I could smell dog on my hand. Don't love her any less but I do forget how fragrant greys are. My mum always says how much she loves them because they don't smell and because of their gentle nature. As soon as they move back to the UK they are going to rescue one!

Guest FullMetalFrank

Mine gets a bath once or twice a year, if he starts to smell "doggy", and we also brush him frequently in the shedding season. He dislikes the bath, but loves the brushing! I do notice how "doggy" other dogs seem to smell compared to most greyhounds!

Have had Isa for 8 years.

When she arrived from Spain she was dirty, but we didn't want to put her through the stress of bathing.

So we started brushing, which was good for bonding anyway. We also used a wet cloth when needed.

In these 8 years, she never had a bath.

And besides the first 2 weeks, she never smelled bad.

We try to bathe our dogs every couple of months. I am always AMAZED at how dirty the water coming off of them is.....they don't *seem* that dirty, but I guess they really are.

A good friend of mine had her greyhounds for maybe six years, never bathed them. To me, they didn't "feel" clean. It always kind of grossed me out....they hadn't had a bath since they were adopted.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

We haven't bathed Toby yet, but then again we've only had him for 5 months. He'll be getting a bath soon, just because I've always bathed our dogs...not that he really needs it.

One of the GPA workers at the kennel we adopted Toby from told me that if you want to just freshen your dog up a bit and he's not really dirty, you can use a few scented baby wipes and just wipe him down all over. We tried that, and it worked fine.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest WhenIGiveIn

My dogs get washed around every 6 weeks would be my guess. They get rinsed down a lot in the summer because when they go swimming I like to rise the lake water off them. Im all for washing my dogs it also cuts down on shedding!