Shedding Like It's My Job

Guest maryngus

Guest HersheysMom

Nope, not at the moment, but Sonie was shedding something awful in JANUARY! She started growing a white undercoat, then blew it all off within about a four week period in January. Why in the winter, I don't know. I was getting about 4-5 full brushfulls a day every day for those four weeks. I thought she would go bald, too, but she's just fine. I'm sure Gus will be too :)

Guest dmboynt

Flash just about shed all of his coat it seemed. He was looking quite pink. I was really worried, because he has thyroid issues, and thought his levels might be off again. But all was ok. I have never seen him shed like this. He has a fairly fine coat to begin with, so I couldln't believe how much fur came off him ever time I touched him. He slowed down for a couple of weeks, and now seems to be shedding again. On the good side, the fur on his rear legs and back end seems to be growing in again

I noticed that the back of Gus' thighs are thin on hair... Merlin has exactly the same problem right now. I add Grizzly Salmon Oil to his food every day (and I do like the stuff, it definitely works) and it's made a big difference to his coat, but we knew when we adopted him that he was prone to really dry, itchy and flaky skin. I'm pretty sure that that dry bald patches on his thighs and due to the fact that he bites that spot sometimes.. it's a nervous tick he has.

Have you tried adding some Grizzly Salmon Oil to Gus' food? A lot of people on GT have used it with greyt results.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest maryngus

i am definitely going to try the salmon oil--thanks! can you buy it at the pet store? or online--?

gus is filled with a hellish wind tonight--the gas is so bad my eyes are burning and i think my hair is falling out--never mind gus' shedding...maybe that's the reason???!! :eek:P:lol

gusapril19.jpg

i promise to be better about posting photos now... :blush

Yes, I can not believe the amount of hair they are losing. I am trying to brush frequently so all that hair is not all over my house!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh yes we are. We had the carpet pulled up and tile installed and now my house looks like it has black carpet! It always happens this time of year though!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Yeah, what's up with the massive shedding ? Greyhounds don't shed. :huh I brushed Wendy today and was astonished at how much fur was flying! She gets brushed on a regular basis, but holy cow, this was outta control. I had on black yoga pants..big mistake. They were COVERED in dog hair. Maybe it's the 90 degree temps we've been having lately? :unsure

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest greydogluvr

I was waiting for a post on this. My 2 brindles are shedding like mad. My black girl is not losing as much. Anyone else have this experience? Do you notice a certain color or texture of fur sheds more than others?

Lizzie, my black girl, was shedding like crazy about six weeks ago while the other three were not shedding a bit. NOW, Lizzie is nice and slick and the other three are shedding like crazy! It's never ending around here!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest adoptagreyhound

I'm glad t his topic came up, my husband and I were just talking about Ani's shedding today. I have a theory - it's probably ridiculous but anecdotally it works here. Maybe it will work for others.

My theory is that Sandy (brindle) doesn't shed because she doesn't grow an undercoat. I believe she doesn't grow an undercoat because she raced in the South and has lived in the South all of her life. She raced at Birmingham, we adopted her in Atlanta, and now we live in Florida. She's a true Southern Belle. No shedding. (We USED to tell people that greyhounds don't shed.)

Ani (red fawn) grows a thick white undercoat during the cold months and then sheds it in the spring (April and May here in Florida). She raced up north (Dairyland in WI) so she's a northern girl.

Ani is always hot and Sandy is always cold. Sandy loves to lay out in the sun and Ani starts panting if she even notices the sun is out. She is NOT fond of her winter coat and would much prefer to go without even if it's really, really cold (you know, like 50 degrees).

Ani only sheds white hair - her red/yellow hair does not end up on my clothes or on the blankets that I spread over the furniture during her shedding season. The blankets are black and covered in white hair within a few days. So she's only shedding her undercoat.

Is this theory possible?