Bailey's In Trouble

Guest WCorder

Guest WCorder

She is such a pretty girl. How did she do today? Did the acupuncture help? Were you able to talk to your neurologist? I hope she is doing better.

No, I wasn't happy with her well-being today. I'm seeing a "wandering" side. Aimless, wanting to get into small spaces . . and pee there . . and then be stuck. She was very unstable after acupuncture, but she may have been before hand. And she had tenderness in her neck or something. I don't know. I just don't know. I was at work, except for feeding her and giving her a Robaxan at lunch time. I left a report for the neurologist, but I didn't get to speak to her. I hope she's doing better tonight.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EmilyAnne

We had Alfalfa put to sleep in our home, in my arms. This is how I want all our pets to pass on when their time comes. As Alfalfa passed on, I felt a relief go through his whole body and knew we were doing the right thing. I hope you don't have to come to that choice aytime soon, but in case you do, I thought I'd share my experience.

((((((((WCorder & Bailey)))))))

Guest jurishound

I am so sorry that lovely Bailey and you are going through this. There is nothing harder than trying to make the "right" decision about what to do, particularly when there is a glimmer of hope that whatever is causing their illness can be treated. Have you tried rotisserie chicken? When my hounds aren't feeling well, rotisserie chicken always seems to pique their interest, even just a little bit. I hope you find some answers soon. Wishing you and Bailey the best possible outcome right now . . . :grouphug

Guest WCorder
I am so sorry that lovely Bailey and you are going through this. There is nothing harder than trying to make the "right" decision about what to do, particularly when there is a glimmer of hope that whatever is causing their illness can be treated. Have you tried rotisserie chicken? When my hounds aren't feeling well, rotisserie chicken always seems to pique their interest, even just a little bit. I hope you find some answers soon. Wishing you and Bailey the best possible outcome right now . . . :grouphug

She will not eat. She'll attempt a bite, and it will fall out of her mouth - and that's it. When I'm force feeding, if it doesn't go all the way down her gullet, she tries to chew it and swallow and it all falls out of her mouth, unless, and only if I hold her head straight up.

Guest koolaidnconner

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I think you have given me a good idea, I am going to videotape Conner and show the vet. My boy is crying in pain when he moves his neck and shaking. Not sure what it is, he is at the vet for the day. I will let you know if I learn something.

Guest WCorder

She did gain a pound by the way. I do think that's great. She was 45.7 lbs last week, and yesterday it was 46.7 . . . and after she pooped it was 46.4. I hope it's not the weight of all backed up poop.

Guest WCorder

Doc says it's not a TBD. Thinks it's GME, and I should schedule a spinal tap. I want to know the prognosis first. She's 12. If it's going to be a year of scary meds and hospital visits, then how much longer before she's just reached the end . . . would it be the right choice? I've already spent over $5,000 on this illness alone. And guess what, I have no more cash and no more credit. I can't get more cash. Of course, the hospital offer's credit . . . 90 days no interest, then 27% back to the beginning. S*!t

How does he know it's not a TBD? You would have had to test for every TBD known and some of them are a PCR test. If she is responding to doxy, why stop? There is also one or two that are not showing up yet respond to doxy.

Would a spinal tap change the treatment? If not, why do it? Is there any chance she has spinal meningitis?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest WCorder

Well, GME is the menengitis, the one that's imuno - something-or-other. what's a PCR test?? There are TBD's that there are no test for? Oh, please, expand on your post. And thank you very much. for the hope. it brought me to tears.

Edited by WCorder

Guest vahoundlover

This is a link to NCSU, it will give you all kinds of info on TBDs, collection of samples and how to send. http://cvm.ncsu.edu/vth/ticklab.html

PCR testing tests for active infections. On the *request form and instructions" page it will tell you how much each test costs and how much serum/EDTA they will need.

I am so sorry you are going thru this, I have no advice or insight into what Bailey is going through. Just want you to know I keep your precious baby in my prayers and hoping she will get better.

Guest WCorder

Bailey was ok. You know I've taken her off the robaxan, and the Doc had taken her off prenisone and tramadol. I think the worst part of the last two weeks was due to the tramadol, valium, and then robaxan. Without the tramadol, the tremors have almost stopped - and that was about the only evidence of pain, except for the way we were picking her up made her shout once in a while. but not we pick her up from inside her legs, grabbing her torso and stomach right inside the shoulder and hip joints.

I still don't know what a PCR test is. I'll look into that. Burpdog was right, they didn't do a PCR, the just did a serology on blood samples, and they came back negative. They said they're waiting on a thyroid panel.

Next thing they want to do is a spinal tap. I don't want to do that because if, after anesthesia and a painful spinal tap, it turns out to be GME, the only hope seems to be to get it into remission for a year, because most dogs don't make it for more than a year after diagnosis. And those dogs are diagnosed at a younger age than my Bailey.

So, my question is - if it's not GME, then what? Let's do that first.

But I think I saw another symptom of GME last night . . . circling at bed time. She seemed so confused . . . "do I want water? do I want to go out? do I want to lie down?" or maybe she was just trying to spin in circles. Always to the right.

Oh, she threw up a little too. But she kept most everything down. I didn't feed her the last two portions though.

We're not sure the doxycycline is doing anything. I really think the only reason she looks better is because she's off the tramadol and robaxan.

I'm preparing myself and DH for the possibility that we'll have to put her down. For him, it was explaining that this is a progressive disease that will come to include seizures, fecal incontinence, paralysis, altered mental status, pacing, circling, falling, blindness, tremors, . . . spinal pain. And helping him realize, there is no real cure.

For me, I'm beginning to ask if we can have her euthanized her in our own home. I'm afraid to ask her regular vet. I don't think either of could handle the conversation without great wracking sobs.

In the meantime, I've bought enough food to keep force feeding her for the next ten days. I can't imagine that the decision to euthanize would happen any time soon. She doesn't seem to be in real pain to me, and I hope things will, if not get better, at least stop right here for a while. I don't mind force feeding her, and I don't mind taking care of her; I love her and this seems like a very precious time.

I'm continuing to post videos and pictures at Bailey's Blog. It's over two pages now. I'm not sure it's much use.

But there is a picture of her caught underneath a yard chair. It's cute in an alarming pitiful kind of way.

Thank you for this forum. This is a lonely and scary journey, and all of you are helping to make us feel safe.

V.

This is such an ordeal for Bailey and your family. I've been following this thread and I am so sorry for what you are going thru. I hope there is a firm diagnosis soon and that Bailey can respond to some treatment that will be effective. Would she find it easier to get down soft food such as potatoes, noodles, macaroni and yogurt? Just a thought. I'll be thinking of you and Bailey.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest koolaidnconner

Our prayers are with you. Get better Bailey. Your beautiful you look just like my Conner

PCR = Polymerase chain reaction.

the short version is it is a test for DNA. In reality, it is much more complicated...

I believe some of the tick diseases don't show up by simple serology, you have to look for the DNA of the disease in the blood of the pet in order to know it's there. Someone who knows this for sure should be along shortly to tell you, someone like Burp. Hopefully you have enough info to at least Google while you're waiting for those with more experience to happen along! :hug:

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest WCorder
:bighug one of the hardest things in a situation like Bailey's is not knowing! I hope you can get some answers. You are taking such good care of her, she knows how much you love her.

I've cried so much today, not all good cries. but this one was a good one. thank you.

Hi,

I just tried to send you a PM and it gave me a message that you cannot receive them. I am soo sorry you and Bailey are travelling this horrible journey, I noticed that Aerosmom told you to PM me, my dog Sara was diagnosed w/GME a year ago, she is living proof that miracles do happen, she had several areas of her brain, cerebellum and spinal loaded w/imflammation, Cytarbine, a chemo drug saved her, the prednisone was not working alone. I am saying many prayers for her and you. Plase feel free to PM me or email to robertaac@comcast.net

Roberta

For nausea, she was on carafate and pepcid

Edited by 3greys2cats

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

No advice, just thinking of you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.