Sheath Infection

Guest charmsmom

Guest charmsmom

Charm has his a sheath infection. It's not a UTI...his urine is perfect (well, for what it is... :lol ). He has yellow pus coming from his hoohoo (eewww). He's on Amoxi for the infection, but how would he get a sheath infection and is it something that's going to be recurrent?

Tanner had it once and it never occured again. Treatment wasn't fun for him or me but he took it like a trooper.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Piper has never had that particular problem but my little Cavalier, Winston, did. He actually had it twice. On the second visit, the vet told me to keep his hoohoo shaved--not so much an issue with greys but it is with Winston. Since I started shaving him (thank goodness he tolerates it well!) he's had no more sheath infections. It sort of points to a cleanliness or hygiene issue so perhaps getting a routine of cleaning that area will help.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest LynnM

Not usually. Most boys do fine at keeping themselves clean, but keep an eye out if the dog has surgery or is otherwise under the weather.

Lynn

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Well gosh, Yardman is prone to sheath issues. We flush every so often. Sometimes I get lax and see the yellowish/tanish stuff and know it's time. Usually when I've ignored it for a while, the first flush results in junk, lots of junk coming out. Flushes are relatively effortless, besides feeling like a perv, it's quick and keeps his area clean - and Yardman's a weird one, he likes it :lol:.

You might want to ask the vet if this is something you should do. Hoping Charm's infection clears up quickly.

Not usually. Most boys do fine at keeping themselves clean, but keep an eye out if the dog has surgery or is otherwise under the weather.

Lynn

Ditto that.

Batman had 3? sheath infections. IIRC, 2 of them were when he'd recently been under anaesthesia for something -- couple days of not keeping himself neat and ... yikes.

Joseph has had one. Not dreadful, hasn't recurred.

Batman didn't mind having his cleaned.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Lynn

Ditto that.

Batman had 3? sheath infections. IIRC, 2 of them were when he'd recently been under anaesthesia for something -- couple days of not keeping himself neat and ... yikes.

Joseph has had one. Not dreadful, hasn't recurred.

Batman didn't mind having his cleaned.

Yup, f they aren't keeping themselves clean, it could be an indication that something else it wrong.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest ProudGreyMom

Jake had one once and it never recurred. He took medcation and I had to use hoo-hoo wash for him (that was one of the high lights of my life).