How To Soak A Paw?

This may sound silly, but I need to soak Quiet Man's paw in Epsom Salts and I'm not sure how to do it. I must admit I have been lax in treating his corn beyond walking him with a Thera-paw, but he's limping so much on it I need to do something, and it is actually at the surface where if I can soften it up I think I can pick it away.

So my question is, what is a creative way to soak the paw of a dog who spends 95% of his time lying down (and I might mention does not like having his feet touched)?

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest KennelMom

Can you get him to lay on the sofa with his paw hanging off (will only work if it's a front paw)...that's I've done for Rocky's foot.

If you need to get him to stand, a peanut butter filled kong helps distract them...just hold it nose high and let 'em lick while you hold it.

Put a towel under his foot. Now put a plastic bag (flattened, like a grocery-sized one) on top the towel (but still under his foot). Now take a washcloth or small face towel, a second plastic bag, and your bowl of Epsom salts solution. Soak the cloth in the solution, wrap around his foot, slide plastic bag over foot. Administer tummy rubs or ear noogies until you're done soaking.

:)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Use a low glass or cup and keep a towel handy, I usually manage to spill the salty water all over myself.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I put the Epsom salts in a bowl to get it dissolved good. Then, I put it in a baggie and held her paw in it. I just talked to her and kept petting her with the other hand. She was fine. I don't think that there is only one way to do it. Just try ideas until one works for you and your houndie.

Good Luck!

Guest karma98104

I had to soak a Great Dane's paw once. The owner had me fill a freezer ziplock bag like 1/3 of the way with the solution, and then I inserted the foot and put a rubber band like thing at the top like you would if you were putting a bag over a bandaged foot. Hold it on there if you need to. It worked pretty well.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I use a maynaise jar. Fill it 1/3 of the way and slide it up onto his foot and let it soak.

Poor QM. His sore footie. :( Have you tried soaking a layer of paper toweling in an epsom salt solution, putting it on his foot, the placing a baggie over that then the therapaw bootie. Leave for 20 minutes then remove it and rinse? (courtesy of Finnsliz)

It's worked for us in the past.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest RooRoo

Yes, the mayonnaise jar worked well for Kiwi 2 weeks ago when she nearly lost a nail. This suggestion was from MomofSweetPotatoes and it worked when Kiwi was in a deep sleep; otherwise she wasn't too crazy about the idea but it's healing now.

Healing thoughts to QM!! :kiss2

Another good way to soften it is keep putting bag balm on it. I do it for my boy after using a dremel to file it and the bag balm has made a big difference.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thanks! I used Batmom's method last night & it worked really well. Any ideas on how long to soak for and for how many days? The corn is coming apart from the pad on one side, if I can just get it to separate from the other side I can get a lot of it out. My poor boy, if he was more tolerant I'd just pcik & pick until I got it out.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Try 5-10 minutes 3-5 times a day. Yeah, that's loosey-goosey, but do as best you can with your schedule. A little vaseline or Bag Balm on the foot in between soakings might help soften it up for you, too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Ola

When Mayhem had his elbow boo-boo I did epsom salt compresses rather than soaks. I'd put a folded up towel under his leg and a smaller one (dipped in the epsom solution and wrung out lightly) over. He mostly slept through it, but you should only need one hand to keep this in place and can give him ear rubs with the other. :)