Online Or Mail Order Hw & Flea/tick Meds...

Guest Mommy2Gideon

Guest Mommy2Gideon

I had Gabriel at the vet today and asked for the script for Interceptor. The tech told me that when ordering online I was getting counterfeit meds. She said they are imported from China or where ever and put in stolen packaging to look like the real thing.

So what have any of you heard of this? She claims that if you research online there are tons of law suits against these companies and that 1-800-PET-MEDS is the worst. I haven't done and searching yet just curious what ya'll know.

She also preceded to tell me that if they wrote the script out instead of me buying it there I would be charged a $10 script fee. So for the time being I bought a 6 month supply from them until I could research more.

Edited by Mommy2Gideon

I remember reading on this site that the online meds aren't the same. To be honest I can't remember the reasons why, but I know we have a vet tech on here that seemed to have good info on the subject so hopefully she'll see this thread. I think her name is greyvettech. Won't your vet price match?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest LokisMom

Some people say they are the same. Some people say they are not. I would listen to both sides and judge for yourself.

I asked a similar question awhile back and got some good answers.

Guest laceyj

A while back I too asked my vet for a scrip so I could order online and save a few dollars. I was told the same information. The vet's office had said that they were informed by the pharmaceutical company that flea meds such as Advantage purchased online are counterfeits, not made by the same company and are packaged to look exactly like the real thing and do not fall under their guarantee. In other words if you purchase them and use them and your dog or cat gets sick from it you have no recourse from the company that makes the real Advantage.

I wrestled with it myself, wondering if that info was being passed so you wouldn't order online, instead buy from the vet. In the end, I do trust my vet and have never felt that they 'padded' my bill or pushed unnecessary tests or treatments for the sake of making an extra buck. And so I never did order online, I continue to buy from my vet. I do know that some do order it though and seem to have no problems.

There's a difference depending on where you order. If you order from a legitimate pet pharmacy with a (I think?) federal ID number, a guarantee, and a good solid reputation, it's the same stuff. I'm certain counterfeit stuff is out there though.

I would check in your state if it's legal for them to charge you a fee for writing a prescription.

I use Omaha Vaccine for medications I need for something long-term (right now my boy is on a 3 month course of Baytril, and they charge half what my vet charges), and for routine things like heartworm. My vet has no issue with it, but did tell me she would not want me to use 1-800-PetMeds. She says Omaha Vaccine is legitimate. I think my clinic is foolish to mark up their medications 100%--I'd be happy to pay a little more and get it from them, but when the want to charge me $4 a pill, and I can get the EXACT SAME THING in sealed bottles from Bayer with expiration dates, etc. for $2.15 a pill--come ON! They also wanted to charge me $90 for George's heartworm, when Omaha Vaccine had the exact same thing for $45. Foolish business practice! They count on people like my mother, who don't know any better, and just hand over the $95!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest manymanyhounds

I use entirelypets.com and have not had any issues. They will fax my vet for the prescription which my vet faxes back to them (for NO charge). With a house full of hounds it saves us a lot of money and orders over $100 are free shipping. They have info on their web site about their products beging FDA approved, etc.

I appreciate my vet not charging for prescriptions. I think it's a bit ridiculous that some vets do.

It depends on where you order them from. I order from Drs Foster & Smith and feel fairly confident in the product. Frontline Plus is what I usually order. I've also ordered Tri Heart Plus from them.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest rubysdad
It depends on where you order them from. I order from Drs Foster & Smith and feel fairly confident in the product. Frontline Plus is what I usually order. I've also ordered Tri Heart Plus from them.

We were told to never use flea meds on greyhounds because they do not have the fat to obsorb the medication. We only use flea baths that are safe for puupies and cats.

We were told to never use flea meds on greyhounds because they do not have the fat to obsorb the medication. We only use flea baths that are safe for puupies and cats.

I've never heard that, but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. You should of course use whatever you are most comfortable with, but I have never had any problems with Frontline or Revolution on my grey. The adoption group we got Argos from uses Frontline on all of their fosters also. Many people have started using some sort of flea/tick collar that is grey safe. Can't remember what it's called. Personally, I'd rather have my arms pulled off than try to give my dog a flea bath regularly. :lol

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest ThunderPaws

I've ordered from entirelypets.com before without problems.

Thank you for mentioning Omaha Vaccines, they have good prices!

Edited by ThunderPaws

Guest ellieb

We purchase our flea protection (Frontline Plus) and heartworm preventative (Heartguard Plus Chews) from deadfleaz.com. The savings are amazing. Takes about 10 days to arrive from Australia.

From their site:

"Genuine Product Guarantee

Aussie Pet Direct Pty Ltd and deadfleaz.com only stock genuine, Australian version products obtained from a reputable veterinary wholesaler. This contains exactly the same active ingredients as in US versions of the products, and is made by the same manufacturers for the Australian market. All products come to you in NEW AND UNOPENED CONDITION, and are the same as those sold in Australian Veterinary Clinics.

If you are unsure as to whether these Australian products are suitable for use within your country, contact your local veterinarian before purchase. If you have any further questions, please e-mail us at sales@deadfleaz.com.

Is your Frontline® and Advantage® genuine?

Due to the recent EPA notification in the USA, we have received several queries regarding the source of our products. Pet owners should have legitimate concerns with respect to the influx of counterfeit Frontline Plus® and Advantage® into the USA market.

Counterfeit product is international Frontline Plus® and Advantage® which has been REPACKAGED IN COUNTERFEIT USA PACKAGING so that it can be resold within the USA through retail outlets and pet stores. This practice is illegal, and counterfeit product should be regarded with suspicion due to this tampering - it may contain expired or incorrect size vials (which could potentially harm your pet).

Deadfleaz.com Frontline Plus® and Advantage® is new, unopened product in its original AUSTRALIAN packaging, produced by MERIAL® (Frontline Plus) or BAYER® (Advantage) for the Australian market."

Edited by ellieb

Guest Emma0422

Our vet matches prices. Have you asked about that? I do get Frontline Plus from Fleet Farm or Drs. Foster and Smith, but I can go right to both of those stores. Our vet has ALWAYS matched prices when I've asked.

For what it's worth, I was at the vet this afternoon to pick up Rimadyl and asked about the online ordering.My vet price matches and 2 of the techs talked about 1-800-petmeds and said they have been in trouble quite a bit.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I order Frontline Plus from deadfleaz as well. Never had a problem with them.

Same here. And it is about 20 bucks cheaper. Since I know a month in advance when i need more I can order it and it takes about 7 days to get to Phoenix

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

I have looked into it, and haven't personally felt comfortable with online ordering.

What has helped is ordering regular prescriptions (like thyroid medicine) a year at a time--my vet is able to get a really good rate and passes much of the savings on to me.

Also, for drugs that are also used in humans, Target and Walmart are often much cheaper than the vet's office.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.