Here's The Deal With Polli And Her Teeth.

Polli came to me last August off the farm at 8.5 years old with the most discusting breath. She could stink up my 3200 sq foot home. No joke. After her 1st dental and losing 17 teeth, they told me I really needed to brush EVERY DAY. And I do, every single day. I also give the CET additive in her water.

7 months later and her breath is discusting... again. I was told by the vet... "yuck, her teeth are awful" she needs another dental.

But I'm scared. Anethesia was very hard on Polli. It took her a long time to come out and get back on her feet the last time.

BUT... if I don't have it done, her teeth will get worse and then she might have to have more pulled.

It doesn't seem to matter that I am brushing everyday, her teeth are just that bad but I will continue to do it since it can't hurt.

In the meantime, I'm scared to have it done ... again... so soon.

I will have Beau, her baby boy go with her since he needs a dental too. I will need to be sedated having them both go in.

Now, to make the appointment.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

OH man...I am so sorry. We went through this with Angel LaceyLaine. :grouphug Sending prayers.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Its so nerve wracking.

It really really is. Sigh.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

:( I hope this time the dental is easier for sweet Polli.... I'll be sending lots of virtual kisses to her on the day, please let us know when the day of the dental is going to be. And :goodluck for Beau, too.'I know what you mean about being worried... Merlin's dental is in a week and I fear I am going to be a nervous wreck. :(:unsure

:grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Appointment May 8.

16 days from today.

I explained my fears and concerns to the vet. She said they could give a little less of the injectable anethesia as that is the one that lingers the most.

So.. we are all set. They will also ex-ray her rear end if she is still limping since she will be "out".

I apologize in advance for probably driving everyone out of their mind with my insanity and worry.

Edited by RobinM

Polli came to me last August off the farm at 8.5 years old with the most discusting breath. She could stink up my 3200 sq foot home. No joke. After her 1st dental and losing 17 teeth, they told me I really needed to brush EVERY DAY. And I do, every single day. I also give the CET additive in her water.

7 months later and her breath is discusting... again. I was told by the vet... "yuck, her teeth are awful" she needs another dental.

But I'm scared. Anethesia was very hard on Polli. It took her a long time to come out and get back on her feet the last time.

BUT... if I don't have it done, her teeth will get worse and then she might have to have more pulled.

It doesn't seem to matter that I am brushing everyday, her teeth are just that bad but I will continue to do it since it can't hurt.

I will have Beau, her baby boy go with her since he needs a dental too. I will need to be sedated having them both go in.

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of anesthesia they'll use on Polli. Our Rita, who also has bad breath -- but not like Polli! -- just had a dental last week. They used sevo and propofol. Torb pain reliever pre-anesthetic and butephoral (sp?) post. She was done by noon and we picked her up wide awake at 3:30. Every dog is different, I know, but I was very impressed that she was that wide awake that soon. She had much prettier teeth too. :colgate

I brush Rita's teeth every day and she enjoys chewing a pizzle stick now and then but that plaque just keeps on coming. Turkey necks are good for that but she tried to bury the one I gave her in her bed it was so disgusting to her.

Did your vet say anything about Polli being a candidate for the new dental vaccine for periodontal disease? I know about the smell filling a house. We once pet sat a girl named Molly who had the same issues and smell Polli has. Omigosh, I couldn't believe it. I'll probably give it to Rita if she ever gets really smelly. The dogs with it probably hates the smell too. It wasn't around in Molly's time.

Maybe an adult beverage will help you get through the double dental. One is nerve-wracking enough, but two!

Guest greydogluvr

My brood mama has similar issues. I can smell her coming. She is now 7 and has had 2 dentals since I got her at age 6. I can sympathize with the smell. I shop often for candles and plug ins.

Sending good thoughts and hugs for an easier recovery.

Edited by greydogluvr

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of anesthesia they'll use on Polli. Our Rita, who also has bad breath -- but not like Polli! -- just had a dental last week. They used sevo and propofol. Torb pain reliever pre-anesthetic and butephoral (sp?) post. She was done by noon and we picked her up wide awake at 3:30. Every dog is different, I know, but I was very impressed that she was that wide awake that soon. She had much prettier teeth too. :colgate

I brush Rita's teeth every day and she enjoys chewing a pizzle stick now and then but that plaque just keeps on coming. Turkey necks are good for that but she tried to bury the one I gave her in her bed it was so disgusting to her.

Did your vet say anything about Polli being a candidate for the new dental vaccine for periodontal disease? I know about the smell filling a house. We once pet sat a girl named Molly who had the same issues and smell Polli has. Omigosh, I couldn't believe it. I'll probably give it to Rita if she ever gets really smelly. The dogs with it probably hates the smell too. It wasn't around in Molly's time.

Maybe an adult beverage will help you get through the double dental. One is nerve-wracking enough, but two!

No adult beverages for me, no can do. i have to take it like a man!

The anethesia used is a gas inahallant and injectable. I don't know what the breakdown is but this group has owned greys and does all the vetting for the 2 LI based groups. I do trust them as much as I can trust anyone with my babies lifes.

Polli is 9 and did not take the anethesia well the 1st time and wasn't even able to come home till 8PM around. Beau, Pollu and Teddy At the age of 3 were bouncing around by 3pm. Like you said, they are all different and the age makes a big difference.

Edited by RobinM

Guest Hollys2hounds

Hey Robin,

You, Polli and Beau will be in our thoughts and prayers... I know exactly what you are feeling.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest ss556

Of course you know I will be worrying about Mommy and Son as well. They will do fine - they have a greyt home to come back to. You could ask your vet whether Polli should take antibiotics once a month for five days like Alan does - sort of a preventative measure for his teeth since he cannot have dentals. It may help w/ the bacteria. Alans' breath isn't as bad.

Guest HeatherDemps

Prayers that all goes well next month! I know that fear- my grey had his last dental at 11. He turned 12 last month and I'm hoping like crazy we can get away without anymore. I've recently started using Wysong Denta Treat and it has improved his breath, but can't tell if it's making a difference any more with his teeth....

Guest longdogs

Angel was also 8 when we got her, complete with bad breath and poor and missing teeth. Her mouth used to bleed. Although it seemed a little contradictory seeing as she had trouble chewing, we started her on meaty bones although she she had trouble with them at first. A few years down the track her teeth are as good as they are ever likely to be and her breath is not offensive, if not entirely sweet. Given your poor dog has lost so many teeth it may not be an option for you. Tough meat is also fairly good if bones are too much to tackle.

Guest lat41065

what about pulse therapy with antibiotics either 5 days a month or 10 on 30 off. the lack of saliva is what makes the bacteria and plaque build up as the mouth doesnt self cleanse adequately. thats what our vet says, it makes sense. the oldies really suffer with butt breath. my boy on phenobarb has the most awful breath, its the dry mouth that perpetuates it so we just started to treat him with 750 mg 5 days a month, we shall see.

Good luck,

lesley

what about pulse therapy with antibiotics either 5 days a month or 10 on 30 off. the lack of saliva is what makes the bacteria and plaque build up as the mouth doesnt self cleanse adequately. thats what our vet says, it makes sense. the oldies really suffer with butt breath. my boy on phenobarb has the most awful breath, its the dry mouth that perpetuates it so we just started to treat him with 750 mg 5 days a month, we shall see.

Good luck,

lesley

Wow, that's interesting, Lesley. No one has ever mentioned dry mouth to us. Our Rita, who gets fairly heavy plaque fairly quickly after a dental, rarely drinks water, so the dryness makes total sense. We do encourage her to drink by bringing it to her; I hope it helps the dental issues but she's really not interested in drinking enough water on her own.

Robin, what are Polli's water-drinking habits? Gotta wonder if that's part of a bad teeth syndrome or something.

Marcia

Good luck,

lesley

Wow, that's interesting, Lesley. No one has ever mentioned dry mouth to us. Our Rita, who gets fairly heavy plaque fairly quickly after a dental, rarely drinks water, so the dryness makes total sense. We do encourage her to drink by bringing it to her; I hope it helps the dental issues but she's really not interested in drinking enough water on her own.

Robin, what are Polli's water-drinking habits? Gotta wonder if that's part of a bad teeth syndrome or something.

Marcia

She drinks (quite sloppily, I might add due to the missing teeth!) when she is thirsty but not excessively. When I see a wad of salivia in her mouth, I will bring the bowl of water to her and she will take a bit. We have a water bowl in our bedroom as well as 4 in the kitchen.

It's scary for any of our furkids to go under anesthesia, but I'm sure especially scary for Polli after your last experience. We'll be thinking "quick, easy dental" vibes for you!

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Robin,

Before you have Polli go in for a dental, is this an option at all? http://home1.gte.net/midilaw/houndstooth.htm

GT member Javagirl sent me this info. Hound's Tooth comes out to the east coast from Cali every so often and you schedule appointments close to home at various locations. I am exploring this option with Speck before having him go under anesthesia for another dental again.

Edited by MomoftheFuzzy