Blood Blisters

Argos has another one of those blood bubbles in his ear. He had one once before but it was so small that the vet left it alone to reabsorb. I don't think this one will do that. It's pretty big. He is due for a dental, so if this one needs surgery I think I'll combine them. My last dog, Reno, a dane mix, got one in each ear and the vet ended up cutting off the ends of his ears and doing all this intricate sewing to keep it from happening. He looked cute with his shorter ears, but I really don't want Argos to have to have his beautiful radar ears cut.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas on how to prevent it?

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

What you need to figure out is WHY the dog got them.

My last dog had horrible, horrible seasonal allergies. He got huge aural hematomas, and eventually broke the cartilidge in his ears--they had to put drains and stitches in. Poor darling!

If your dog has a chronic ear problem, you need to treat THAT. The hematomas will stop happening if he stops the scratching or shaking that is probably causing them!

Good luck--and do NOT assume it's a food allergy.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It's more than likely from shaking his head, but he doesn't shake excessively and doesn't have any allergies. We've been down that road. It's more of a habit than anything else.

Making the appointment now...they better not mess up his beautiful ears.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~