Lupus And Innoculations

My Ig Flex has recently been diagnosed with discoid lupus after quite a while of symptoms. He is being treated. He received his rabies shot in December...and is due for his core vaccines in April. That would be three years.

I am going to mention this to the vet when he goes for his checkup in less than two weeks; but wanted opinions from members here.

Since lupus is an immune disorder and shots can cause immune problems in some dogs; should he get his shots at all. Especially now while he is having a bit of a flare-up?

the last time he got all of his shots, he had seizures shortly after..we just figured this out the other nite. so I am not sure about his shots now or ever, except rabies of course.

Any advice, experiences would be appreciated for my little guy! Thanks.

Oh, another "shot" question: big greys are due for all shots in april. I am thinking of skipping core on them this year and giving just rabies. they have been getting yearly and now I read three years is better. Again,advice/experiences appreciated.

JMO, I would not vaccinate a dog with an immune system problem, even rabies. The vet should be able to give you a letter that exempts Flex from having to get revaccinated. He has plenty of protection from a lifetime of shots.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest SoulsMom
I would not vaccinate any dog with lupus, regardless of breed. I would be very surprised if the vet would do it.

Really? :unsure My vet (who has actually been really, really good) didn't seem to think it was an issue. What can happen?

Unfortunately, in my city it is the law that they have to have the rabies vaccine. The vets are required to send documentation when they do it, and we are required to register our dogs with the city . . . .

I have an Italian Greyhound with Lupus. She has not had vaccines since she was diagnosed.

Your vet can give you a letter of exemption that you can use in place of a rabies certificate.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Guest SoulsMom
I too would not vaccinate. The vet can write a letter to your county to excuse the dog from all shots including rabies. We had this done for our Dalmatian who had seizure disorder. It was never a problem.

I'm so glad I read this! Soul has not been vaccinated since he's been diagnosed, so maybe he would have brought it up to me when it's time.

What excatly can happen? And if he doesn't have his rabies shot isn't he at risk for getting rabies from wildlife? My house backs up to 22acres of forest and we get coyotes, skunks, raccoons, tons of squirrels, bats, rats, mice . . . .

As for the city . . . they are totally imcompetent. Not looking forward to that fight . . . .

I like this article on revaccination. It explains the issues clearly & calmly.

I can't speak for your city, but I had my vets write exemption letters because both of my dogs had cancer last year & there was no way I would revaccinate either of them for rabies. Accepted without question by my town & their licenses were renewed.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Now I am thinking...flex got his rabies shot in december...the nose issue started around january---could this be a result of the shot affecting his immune system? He did have some symptoms prior to the shot, but was undiagnosed. Thanks for the advice

I would not vaccinate any dog with lupus, regardless of breed. I would be very surprised if the vet would do it.

Neither would I , but sadly I think too many vets have no problem vaccinating dogs with immune system problems. :(

ETA:

I use an integrated vet practice (traditional/holistic/alternative) for my dogs. I don't want to start a war here, but I'm including a link to an article on vaccines and immune system issues: Vaccinations for those people who have questions. Obviously, the person who wrote this article has a point of view that is not shared by most veterinarians. I'm just putting it out there for people who have dogs or cats that have autoimmune disorders or other chronic health issues to consider.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Pinky had her rabies shot when I adopted her and didn't have any trouble. I do not vaccinate for anything else though. They get titered when their blood is drawn for their yearly heartworm tests.

Here's a bit of a rundown on how lupus works...you have very few white blood cells, and the ones you have are, let's just say, inept. I know this is not PC but basically they are "retarded". When something that a "healthy" person's WBC's would normally attack enters the body, for instance, a cold bug...a person with lupus's WBC's start attacking the body instead of the bug. So, vaccinating your dog COULD cause the WBC's to begin attacking the system again, causing a flare up.

I wouldn't think that using killed rabies vaccine would cause problems since it's not live, but I really don't know on that front.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Not a vet, but I understand that the vaccine documentation indicates that only HEALTHY dogs should be vaccinated (I believe this is the case for humans also, but not sure). I definitely wouldn't vaccinate an immune-challenged dog.

Many cities will accept a letter from the vet stating that the dog is not well enough to be vaccinated, however this is sometimes not documented.

Edited by Ola