Greyhound Corns

Guest Manny

Guest Manny

My 8-year old greyhound has just developed her first corn, and it is causing her to limp. My vet suggested applying a salicylic acid-based product such as "Dr. Scholl's Corn and Wart Remover". I've started using that product, but it seems to work very slow. I've also seen other threads within the Greytalk site that described "hulling" the corn. This consists of using a small spatula tool (or your fingernail) to slowly dig the hard corn out of the dog's pad. It's a bloodless technique, although it does leave an empty crater in the dog's pad. How do you (and the dog) deal with the empty crater? I've also read that corns tend to grow back.

How do you treat greyhound corns? Has anyone had any luck with using a salicylic acid-based product to remove greyhound corns?

There are a lot of people here who have had success with hulling. This is not something you do yourself.And some have had the corn removed with a laser. But they do tend to come back, however people say that with hulling, it tends not to come back as quickly or as big.My boy has one and I just keep it filed down with the dremel and use bag balm to keep it soft. And when I walk him on pavement, I use a boot. That has worked for us. I'm sure you'll receive much more "informed" replies. Good luck

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Well, my mom's greyhound, Foose, had 6 corns!!! He had at least one on each foot and was literally being crippled by them. At only 7 years old, he walked like he was 14 and he was starting to hyperextend his wrists to try to take the weight off of his front feet. We were very worried about the poor boy. We hulled them out several times but they returned several times. Finally, we had him seen by a veterinarian who does chiropractic/acupuncture/chinese herbs. She looked at his tongue and pulses and had us start him on a specific diet that would help with what he was lacking (based on her exam)... California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato. We also started him on Missing Link Plus and Omegaderm (fatty acid) plus three different Chinese herbs... one that helped "strengthen" his blood and two that she heard would help specifically with the corns. We started him on everything last May and along with monthly dremeling and light hulling of the corns, my mom said she was starting to see a difference within a few months.

Two weeks ago, she called me and could barely control herself. She had been getting ready to work on the corns when she realized that he only had TWO corns left and they were both "dangling" and she was able to just pull them off!!!!! That is pretty amazing!!!! He is also walking much better, his wrists are nearly normal and he is much more active.

If anyone wants to know the names of the herbs, let me know and I'll get them for you. You cannot buy them without a veterinarian's prescription and you should see a vet who works with Chinese herbs.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest KennelMom

We had slow progress with topical wart remover. Had great luck with hulling in our boy Grandpa. Hulled it once and it never grew back. The corn holes filled back in with regular pad tissue. I wish we'd have tried hulling with our old gal Annie before she went to the Bridge. We had our vet do the hulling with the print out from grassmere printed out and given to him as a reference.

Guest BigPercyInMa

Percy had a corn years ago and we had it hulled by the vet. Never came back. I don't remember anything bad about the little crater.

Guest ddsgreys

Jamie had a corn around Xmas time, we hulled it and so far so good...

Sheila: Are you going to GIG, if so I will get the names of the herbs from you in case I need it down the line..

Hull that sucker: Corn Hulling

Seriously. Don't let your vet convince you to do surgery. It's painful for the dog, takes a long time to heal and the corns will very likely just come back. They are evil. Hulling is a good, pain free way to get them under control and works well for most dogs.

Buy thee some Therapaws, too. That'll make your pup more comfortable between hullings: therapaws

What works best for my boy is therapaws+tramadol (50mg) between hullings. We had a lot of success for about 6 months and were meds/bootie free. The Evil Things have returned, however, and we're due in for a second hulling on a corn that has decided to erupt on a different toe.

Good luck :)

Oh, and soften the pads with kerasolv, abreva (good for its antiviral properties) or even plain ol' vaseline - it makes it easier to pop the corns out and the abreva may help prevent their return (or at least allow them to return smaller).

Oh and no worries on the corn hole - it fills back in very quickly :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I agree with the comments of the lady in the above post. :)

I will say that I notice sensitivity in the feet of my corn dog post hulling. Be prepared for the limp/tenderness to still be there. Inu hasn't been on a cement sidewalk without a therapaw on in two years. Those boots really are awsome for maintenance.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Hulling is The Bomb.

Zema got immediate relief from hulling almost every time. The times she didn't were due to callus buildup around where the corn was. Vet trimmed that back a time or two, and that helped. No booties needed.

A year ago January, when Z was out for her dental, vet hulled the corn again and just touched the surface of the hole with his laser. NO corn, NO tenderness for 9 months. She then got two small corns on the same pad. Hulled them, and they haven't come back yet. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Manny

From what I've read, one of the common things in hulling a corn is that it is a bloodless procedure. The same goes for using a dremel tool to grind down the corn on the dog's pad.

Last night I used an emery board to file down my greyhound's corn and after just a little filing, the head of the corn began to bleed. This leads me to think that maybe it isn't a corn. Are corns supposed to bleed after a little filing?

Instead of a corn, I guess it could be a wart on the dog's pad. Do warts bleed after a little filing?

I guess I'll stick to using the salicylic acid-based products for a little while longer and see if they provide any improvement.

Hull that sucker: Corn Hulling

Seriously. Don't let your vet convince you to do surgery. It's painful for the dog, takes a long time to heal and the corns will very likely just come back. They are evil. Hulling is a good, pain free way to get them under control and works well for most dogs.

Buy thee some Therapaws, too. That'll make your pup more comfortable between hullings: therapaws

What works best for my boy is therapaws+tramadol (50mg) between hullings. We had a lot of success for about 6 months and were meds/bootie free. The Evil Things have returned, however, and we're due in for a second hulling on a corn that has decided to erupt on a different toe.

Good luck :)

Oh, and soften the pads with kerasolv, abreva (good for its antiviral properties) or even plain ol' vaseline - it makes it easier to pop the corns out and the abreva may help prevent their return (or at least allow them to return smaller).

Oh and no worries on the corn hole - it fills back in very quickly :)

Sully has developed a persistent one that we keep hulled. In between hullings, we keep it filed smooth and put bag balm on it to keep it softer.

They are the most frustrating little things!!!! GRRR! It's amazing how much of a pain something as small as a corn can be!

--Manny, you shouldn't be getting bleeding like that from a corn. Sully's corns are bloodless, even when hulled.

Edited by lothianjavert

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Hi, all! I'm a newbie wanting to take advantage of your experience with corns. Did any of your dogs start limping BEFORE the corn(s) became visible? I have a 4 year old who started limping on the right rear about 6 weeks ago. Started as limping only on rough surfaces - no limp on carpeting, tile in the house, grass or even smooth cement.

Vet examination of entire foot/knee/hip/back revealed nothing. At one point, two pads looked as though there was a circular marking developing, but nothing more has appeared. Glucosamine and MSM added to food and total rest for 2 weeks has done nothing to improve the condition. In fact, the limp has turned into hopping and avoidance of any and all hard/rough surfaces including tile in the house.

Just received a Thera-Paw boot on Monday which is wonderful - no limp regardless of what surface texture. Vet wants to do follow up with x-rays via sedation, but I'm more inclined to something more comprehensive if sedation is involved in order to get the whole picture the first time.

Any advice?

Thanks! - Mom of "The Ladies"

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hi, all! I'm a newbie wanting to take advantage of your experience with corns. Did any of your dogs start limping BEFORE the corn(s) became visible? I have a 4 year old who started limping on the right rear about 6 weeks ago. Started as limping only on rough surfaces - no limp on carpeting, tile in the house, grass or even smooth cement.

Vet examination of entire foot/knee/hip/back revealed nothing. At one point, two pads looked as though there was a circular marking developing, but nothing more has appeared. Glucosamine and MSM added to food and total rest for 2 weeks has done nothing to improve the condition. In fact, the limp has turned into hopping and avoidance of any and all hard/rough surfaces including tile in the house.

Just received a Thera-Paw boot on Monday which is wonderful - no limp regardless of what surface texture. Vet wants to do follow up with x-rays via sedation, but I'm more inclined to something more comprehensive if sedation is involved in order to get the whole picture the first time.

Any advice?

Yes. And I spent A LOT of money trying to get it figured out, including physical therapy. I finally ended up going to a vet 4.5 hours away who has a lot of greyhound-specific orthopedic experience. I told him I suspected a corn. He did a nerve block on the toe and the limping went away. A few weeks later, the corn finally erupted again. I have since found a wonderful local vet who hulls them for me :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Huh. My guess is that's not a corn. A corn would typically be on the pad itself and has a horny/hard texture. They are also white/yellowish-white/gray. That looks pretty fleshy and pink, if I'm seeing it right (hard to tell as the pic is small). That might be papilloma (wart) of some sort. There's a theory that corns are just really impacted warts, though no one knows for certain.

Guest joedogs_mom

just wanted to say that this thread has been particularly helpful because one of my 9 year olds JUST got 2 corns within the last several weeks...thank GOODNESS it looks like the corns are the cause of his limping...going to vet tomorrow for hulling...and gotta get some bag balm.

thanks everybody!

B)

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
This is a photo of Brandy's corn/wart sent by Manny (just posting the photo for him ;) )

Brandycornwart.jpg

That really looks like a seed wart or papilloma. There may actually be something embedded in it. Although, Yardman did have corn that grew on the side like that. We did manage to get rid of it with Abreva.

Poor Brandy :(

Guest joedogs_mom

well, i just got back from the vet with fred. my VERY greyhound savvy vet does not do hulling but instead likes to completely remove them via surgery. he quoted $150 for the surgery for removal of 2 corns.

i think i want to try home management for now since fred's "warts" (my vet actually said they are not technically corns but warts) are not too bad...

with that being said, what do i need?

bag balm

a dremel???

therapaws for longer walks???

thanks guys...i'm kinda bummed he won't do the hulling.

Guest MnMDogs

He refuses? I've never heard a success story with surgery - My own Morky included, and I can't imagine putting him through that again. Did you bring the Grassmere article on hulling?

Anyway - TheraPaws are worth their weight in gold. Definitely invest in one (or however many you need). If you order, be sure to call them and let them know it's for a retired grey, and you will get 5.00 off each one.

We also did the bag balm on his pads to keep them soft while walking with the booties. Then he ate the tin of bag balm, so we haven't done that in a while.

Before we had them hulled (it took us a while to find a vet who would do it, and did it right), I would soak paper towels in epsom salt, put it over his foot, cover in baggie and top it all off with the TheraPaw. After at least a couple hours I would be able to pick the corn out (thanks to FinnsLiz for that suggestion). However, it wasn't always successful. Sometimes I got the entire thing out, sometimes barely any.

We also did try to keep it flat with a dremel. But that seemed like a never ending battle - those suckers grow fast!

Good luck. Definitely order a TheraPaw asap.

Guest joedogs_mom
He refuses? I've never heard a success story with surgery - My own Morky included, and I can't imagine putting him through that again. Did you bring the Grassmere article on hulling?

Anyway - TheraPaws are worth their weight in gold. Definitely invest in one (or however many you need). If you order, be sure to call them and let them know it's for a retired grey, and you will get 5.00 off each one.

We also did the bag balm on his pads to keep them soft while walking with the booties. Then he ate the tin of bag balm, so we haven't done that in a while.

Before we had them hulled (it took us a while to find a vet who would do it, and did it right), I would soak paper towels in epsom salt, put it over his foot, cover in baggie and top it all off with the TheraPaw. After at least a couple hours I would be able to pick the corn out (thanks to FinnsLiz for that suggestion). However, it wasn't always successful. Sometimes I got the entire thing out, sometimes barely any.

We also did try to keep it flat with a dremel. But that seemed like a never ending battle - those suckers grow fast!

Good luck. Definitely order a TheraPaw asap.

THANKS! he didn't FLAT OUT refuse...just said he really isn't keen on hulling. i did not have the grassmere article with me. what do you use to pry out the corn if able??? and great suggestion on how to "soak" a foot...

• 1 year later...
Guest Amy_Bee

Any advice?

Yes! (Replying to your old post) Gretchen has been limping for 5 weeks, and the vets are baffled. X-rays show nothing. The people at Thera-paws suggested that the problem might be a corn, but nothing is visible. Now she's wearing the Therapaws slippers and not limping, or limping less, at least. If it is a corn, ill the corn eventually become visible?