Greyhound Corns

Guest Manny

My 8-year old greyhound has just developed her first corn, and it is causing her to limp. My vet suggested applying a salicylic acid-based product such as "Dr. Scholl's Corn and Wart Remover". I've started using that product, but it seems to work very slow. I've also seen other threads within the Greytalk site that described "hulling" the corn. This consists of using a small spatula tool (or your fingernail) to slowly dig the hard corn out of the dog's pad. It's a bloodless technique, although it does leave an empty crater in the dog's pad. How do you (and the dog) deal with the empty crater? I've also read that corns tend to grow back.

How do you treat greyhound corns? Has anyone had any luck with using a salicylic acid-based product to remove greyhound corns?

I tried that many years ago and it didn't work. YMMV.

well, i just got back from the vet with fred. my VERY greyhound savvy vet does not do hulling but instead likes to completely remove them via surgery. he quoted $150 for the surgery for removal of 2 corns.

i think i want to try home management for now since fred's "warts" (my vet actually said they are not technically corns but warts) are not too bad...

with that being said, what do i need?

bag balm

a dremel???

therapaws for longer walks???

thanks guys...i'm kinda bummed he won't do the hulling.

Wow, Dr. Blackburn hulled Andy's a couple of times for me. You can use bag balm and then get a dremel. Sometimes if you just dremel them down so they're smooth with the toe it helps a lot as far as the limping. Therapaws for walk, especially on pavement are good.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Laser surgery on corns doesn't keep them from returning, from what I've seen. I'd do the hulling if one of ours needed to have a corn removed. Bee propolis works pretty well too.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I have a vet tech friend of mine hull Buzz's once a month. She uses these blunt scissors to do it and basically cuts it out. Buzz doesn't feel it and there's no blood. I just leave the "hole" alone. Buzz stops limping after the hulling. Unfortunately it comes back every month though.

Hi, all! I'm a newbie wanting to take advantage of your experience with corns. Did any of your dogs start limping BEFORE the corn(s) became visible? I have a 4 year old who started limping on the right rear about 6 weeks ago. Started as limping only on rough surfaces - no limp on carpeting, tile in the house, grass or even smooth cement.

Vet examination of entire foot/knee/hip/back revealed nothing. At one point, two pads looked as though there was a circular marking developing, but nothing more has appeared. Glucosamine and MSM added to food and total rest for 2 weeks has done nothing to improve the condition. In fact, the limp has turned into hopping and avoidance of any and all hard/rough surfaces including tile in the house.

Just received a Thera-Paw boot on Monday which is wonderful - no limp regardless of what surface texture. Vet wants to do follow up with x-rays via sedation, but I'm more inclined to something more comprehensive if sedation is involved in order to get the whole picture the first time.

Any advice?

Thanks! - Mom of "The Ladies"

Yes! (Replying to your old post) Gretchen has been limping for 5 weeks, and the vets are baffled. X-rays show nothing. The people at Thera-paws suggested that the problem might be a corn, but nothing is visible. Now she's wearing the Therapaws slippers and not limping, or limping less, at least. If it is a corn, ill the corn eventually become visible?

It should become visible at some point. Andy started limping and we went the xray route. He kept limping and finally a corn appeared on one of his toes.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• 8 months later...
Guest starbaby

Hi, all! I'm a newbie wanting to take advantage of your experience with corns. Did any of your dogs start limping BEFORE the corn(s) became visible? I have a 4 year old who started limping on the right rear about 6 weeks ago. Started as limping only on rough surfaces - no limp on carpeting, tile in the house, grass or even smooth cement.

Vet examination of entire foot/knee/hip/back revealed nothing. At one point, two pads looked as though there was a circular marking developing, but nothing more has appeared. Glucosamine and MSM added to food and total rest for 2 weeks has done nothing to improve the condition. In fact, the limp has turned into hopping and avoidance of any and all hard/rough surfaces including tile in the house.

Just received a Thera-Paw boot on Monday which is wonderful - no limp regardless of what surface texture. Vet wants to do follow up with x-rays via sedation, but I'm more inclined to something more comprehensive if sedation is involved in order to get the whole picture the first time.

Any advice?

Thanks! - Mom of "The Ladies"

I have a 3 yr old male who now has 9 corns! All feet are involved we started with one corn, had it hulled, grew back in 6 weeks and had it hulled again and then they started multiplying!! I have the therapaws, I am putting Burts bees foot cream on all his pads every day and have just ordered some ointment from an apothecary in pennsylvania. I feel so bad for him, the last hulling was quite rough, there was bleeding and packing and he was very sore with pain medication, had to have my son carry him out to do his business. I'm pretty desperate for a cure, he is so sweet, but now he'll growl a little if I even look closely at his pads! I'm open to suggestions!

Yes! (Replying to your old post) Gretchen has been limping for 5 weeks, and the vets are baffled. X-rays show nothing. The people at Thera-paws suggested that the problem might be a corn, but nothing is visible. Now she's wearing the Therapaws slippers and not limping, or limping less, at least. If it is a corn, ill the corn eventually become visible?

It should become visible at some point. Andy started limping and we went the xray route. He kept limping and finally a corn appeared on one of his toes.

well, i just got back from the vet with fred. my VERY greyhound savvy vet does not do hulling but instead likes to completely remove them via surgery. he quoted $150 for the surgery for removal of 2 corns.

i think i want to try home management for now since fred's "warts" (my vet actually said they are not technically corns but warts) are not too bad...

with that being said, what do i need?

bag balm

a dremel???

therapaws for longer walks???

thanks guys...i'm kinda bummed he won't do the hulling.

Wow, I am so spoiled. Here in "Dr. Couto Land" most vets have been exposed to greyhounds. If you get your DVM at Ohio State you have probably been taught by Dr. Couto. In any case, Dr. Couto says not to do surgery for a corn. Hulling works just fine and can be done without sedation and most of the times with no blood whatsoever. Since his amputation, my Joe has developed the beginnings of a few corns. When a greyhound goes in for chemo (including my Joe) they always check for corns and hull them at no additional charge.

Yet another reason to be glad I live in central Ohio.

Jane

• 9 years later...

Hi! My 6 year old grey has had what looks very much like a corn on one pad but it doesn’t seem to bother her at all! We do twenty miles a week on sidewalk and she always dances the last daily mile like she can’t get enough. Has anyone ever heard of a grey having a corn with no visible discomfort at all? I would hate to have it hulled if she doesn’t even notice it. Her gait looks fine as well. Thank you! 

Is it on the front or back foot? Grace has corns on both but it appears only the front ones bother her.

Instead of hulling you could try using a corn remover gel. Here in the UK I use Bazuka. It can take several weeks but hopefully it will either be able to be picked out or it will drop off.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time