Staying Cool In The Crate

Guest Sula

Hello!

We're having a heat wave here in Northern California. My pup is 10 months old so I've not really had her in too much heat.

She seemed hot last night in her crate. I directed a fan towards her. And I put a cool pack in there. But I wondered if there was anything else?

I still have a blanket in there as she seems to like to bunch it up into a pillow but should I take that out?

We do not get huge amounts of super hot weather so no AC in my house.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has some good tips on keeping your pup cool and comfy in his or her crate.

Thanks!

Sula

you could put a sheet on her bedding if it is the type that is warm. But what you are doing so far is great

Great idea! She has one of those soft pads that fit in her crate but I'm guessing a nice sheet would be much cooler for the hot days.

Thanks!! :)

Sula

You can wet down her tummy, chest and feet with a cold wet towel, and also put a chunk of ice in her water dish. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

We put a floor fan in front of the crates with the air blowing toward the crates. Seemed to keep the pups plenty cool. This was when we lived in SC and we did this along with the central air that was already on in the house.

Kim

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

If it gets cool at night, put a box fan or window fan in the window. That will cool the room a lot, and then put it on exhaust during the day to keep the air moving. We don't have central air, and use a window fan in our bathroom. It gets very hot here in the summer and doing that keeps the bathroom comfortable even on 90 degree 90% humidity days.

If it's not cooling off at night, keep the fan on exhaust all the time and put a smaller fan pointed at the crate.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

great advice here... actually I have often wondered about this because I keep the window A/C on in the summer in our bedroom for Merlin (he's crated). He really likes having his blankets around him, so I can't take those away, but they create heat, so I have been grappling with this issue too. Where do you get your cool pack from? Is it specific for dogs or can you buy it anywhere? Sorry for the dim question, I only moved to the US from the UK 4 years ago, so I don't really know what a cool pack is... :blush never used one before.

Thanks!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Great advice--thanks all!

A cool pack can be bought at any drugstore--it's just a squishy substance in strong plastic that you put in the freezer. They are pretty inexpensive (maybe a few dollars) and lots of people use them for ice chests and for injuries too.

Sula