We Had To Change Our Course

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor baby :(

The taste of the tramadol can make them sick too, try putting it in a gel-capsule if you have one, or at least in something yummy.

It is usually in cream cheese. Last night I tried peanut butter and that was all she ate. I could not get her to eat anything else.

I just gave her Pepcid, I will try to feed her breakfast in a bit. I surveyed our yard, it looks like she did good through the night.

In a couple days I am hoping this makes her feel a lot better and realize I am not trying to poison her. She is a grudge holder. :blush

The Girls

She will feel better, we are all chanting for her and she will have only good results from here on. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest LittleGreys

Lots of hugs and healing thoughts for you and Shanti from Munchie and I. Do you know why she is on such a low dose of pred?? Usually with immuno-suppression, it is much higher. It normally takes several weeks for the Imuran to "kick in". Just be very vigilant that it doesn't drop her platelets like it did with Munch.

Munchie started out on 30mgs every 12 hours of pred. Right now she is on 30mg once a day, she has been on that dose for about 8 weeks or more. That was with the Imuran, until we had to stop it. She is doing very well right now.

Lots of hugs and healing thoughts for you and Shanti from Munchie and I. Do you know why she is on such a low dose of pred?? Usually with immuno-suppression, it is much higher. It normally takes several weeks for the Imuran to "kick in". Just be very vigilant that it doesn't drop her platelets like it did with Munch.

Munchie started out on 30mgs every 12 hours of pred. Right now she is on 30mg once a day, she has been on that dose for about 8 weeks or more. That was with the Imuran, until we had to stop it. She is doing very well right now.

We were hoping not to do the prednisone at all. We are afraid we may kick off some infection hiding with her. Plus, she had Babesia. Her risks were pretty high on it for her.

I was warned on the Imuran that it would take several weeks or more to start kicking in. I do have to say she is better this afternoon. She has a little more life to her and I can see some definition in that joint of hers. Wow! All this time it was like a ball. Smooth, round and no definition. :P Who knew that is what it is suppose to look like. :lol

She ate her breakfast and has not had horrid runs from it. Another thing I am thankful for! She got up when the doorbell rang. That shocked me. But man was I pleased to see her up! She is hopping a little less, not much, but some improvement rather quickly. She is still lame, but she will put it down here and there. You know how bad she looked when DH even said "she looks bad". He usually does not notice squat. :lol

She had blood work done yesterday prior to the medication. We also ran another thyroid test. I guess being on these medications can mess with that. We are currently in 2x a week but will drop back soon. How often do we do blood work? I forgot to ask them. I keep checking her over to make sure no weirdness's show up. I am a bit paranoid. :rolleyes:

On another note, I am pleased to here Munchie is doing better!!! I am so thrilled by that!!!!! You must be too!

The Girls

Guest paulamariez

I actually took Imuran for a year for my Lupus. Because I was injesting it myself, I didn't bother with gloves! :lol: I took a relatively low dose of the stuff, but it was nasty. It made me feel pukey, but I never did throw up from it. One of the worst side effects I had was that I lost a good portion of my hair. It really thinned out! I hate to look at pictures of myself from that era! I hope your poor baby does well on the medication. I quit taking it because my Dr. didn't think it was controlling my lupus (poopus) well enough. Funny though, I also take prilosec, prednisone and tramadol too! Just call me one of the hounds! :wacko: I will keep your sweet baby Shanti in my thoughts and prayers. Those medications can be nasty, but they do their job and keep people and hounds well and their illnesses under control!

Mia was also on a higher dose of pred, she was on 20mg twice/day to start along with the Imuran (Azathiaprine is the same medication). She saw an almost immediate drop in swelling from the pred, but if you are worrying about infection, I can understand being careful.

Mia went in every week for blood tests for the first 3 weeks and then every other week for several months. She is now having blood tests every other month.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

I actually took Imuran for a year for my Lupus. Because I was injesting it myself, I didn't bother with gloves! :lol: I took a relatively low dose of the stuff, but it was nasty. It made me feel pukey, but I never did throw up from it. One of the worst side effects I had was that I lost a good portion of my hair. It really thinned out! I hate to look at pictures of myself from that era! I hope your poor baby does well on the medication. I quit taking it because my Dr. didn't think it was controlling my lupus (poopus) well enough. Funny though, I also take prilosec, prednisone and tramadol too! Just call me one of the hounds! :wacko: I will keep your sweet baby Shanti in my thoughts and prayers. Those medications can be nasty, but they do their job and keep people and hounds well and their illnesses under control!

I was wondering if it was a "human" medication. Now I know to check prices at regular pharmacys. We shall see if Shanti's hair falls out. I just shed her out, not much! Of course I am comparing it to Nala who looses enough for 10 large dogs each day! :lol

Sorry to hear you have Lupus. I did some research years ago on it. I hope they keep you well under control. :)

Mia went in every week for blood tests for the first 3 weeks and then every other week for several months. She is now having blood tests every other month.

Good to know! Thanks!

The Girls

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Up...down....up....down...

Yesterday afternoon I thought she was doing so well. Today she is back on 3 legs and won't eat. She would not eat dinner last night, now no breakfast. :( But, her system seems to be handling the medication better now. I have some chicken thighs boiling for her. Hopefully that will help, it has before.

I know it will take time for all this to work properly, but dang! She baits me into thinking she is doing so well! :P Maybe she is just trying to be strong for her momma as she knows I am doing all I can to help her. :wub:

We go back in to the vets tomorrow.

The Girls

Guest paulamariez

Poor sweet Shanti! The Imuran definitely does take a couple weeks to kick in completely. And it was wickedly expensive stuff, if I remember correctly! The Pred should start working quickly. When I have to increase my Pred dosage, it takes about 2 days for me to start feeling better. If Shanti's not not eating, she might have that pukey :lol: feeling I warned you about!! The Pred works by reducing inflammation (i.e. her swollen joint looking better) and by lowering the immune system so it doesn't attack Shanti's joints. Regarding the possible infections, now once again, this is on humans, I've been taking the Pred and other immune lowering drugs for a good 4 years or so, and have NEVER had a hidden or opportunistic infection take hold. So hopefully, this will hold true for your precious girl too! BTW, my lupus is relatively under control. I have minor flare ups about once a month, but nothing major. (thankfully!) But I will keep your precious girl in my thoughts and prayers, for I know how she must feel with those nasty old joints (been there!). And Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Shanti some healing doggie kisses as well.

Guest LittleGreys
The Imuran definitely does take a couple weeks to kick in completely. And it was wickedly expensive stuff, if I remember correctly!

Not expensive if you know where to get it (and have access or a vet who won't rip you off!!). ;) I already let Shantis Mom know. I get 100 tabs for $22.

The Imuran definitely does take a couple weeks to kick in completely. And it was wickedly expensive stuff, if I remember correctly!

Not expensive if you know where to get it (and have access or a vet who won't rip you off!!). ;) I already let Shantis Mom know. I get 100 tabs for $22.

I will take you up on that! It was quite expensive ($107.61 for 30 50mg tablets). I have a 30 day supply right now. I will ask the vet tomorrow about getting it elsewhere. Doubt she cares, she called medication into WalMart for me. Considering the amount of money I am going through, I cut where I can without sacrificing or jeopardizing Shanti. :)

THANK YOU!!!

Shanti is in my thoughts and prayers too. You're such a very good mom Jenny, :bighug

...scritches and hugs to Shanti and Nala, :dogcookie :dogcookie

Awww! Thank you! I surely try. :)

The Girls

Shanti ate some dinner!!! Some plain pasta noodles and chicken thighs, but she ate it all! I feel better, don't think she does. :P

:yay:yay:yay Keep eatin' little girlie!!

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Continuing to send lots of hugs and prayers and chants for your little girl.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Forgot to say, we ran into another greyhound and owner. It was Fred and Dandy from GAC. That is the same group Shanti is from. Shanti was so pleased to see another grey! She started her normal loud mouth behavior that she saves for the vets and Dandy came right over to make sure she was okay. Very cute!

I just stocked up on the chicken thighs and rice. She dropped from 62.4lbs on Monday to 61.2lbs today. Gotta keep her eating! The vet said if I don't mind cooking for her that would be great. I laughed. What is one more meal to make? I already make several a night. I have a house full of picky eaters!!! :P

The Girls