"mork Ate The Bag Balm"

Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

Ryan just called to let me know that Mork ate the bag balm. Probably a little less than half of the large container - I'm not sure since I'm on the opposite side of the country right now.

He's calling the vet now, but has anyone had a similar experience? He'll be fine, right? Apparently, it has begun to "ooze" out already, and I imagine he will have some serious runs. I swear, that dog is going to be the death of us. We've had the bag balm for 6 months...he's never indicated he would like to eat it before. So he waits until I've been gone for over a week to swipe the tin and "lick it clean" according to Ryan.

Oh, Morky, Morky, Morky...

Guest MnMDogs

Well, as I assumed, we should just expect some serious diarrhea. Poor Ryan always gets stuck with this crap (literally) when I'm thousands of miles away. Mork never ceases to amaze us.

I don't have any expeince with it, but I am sure their will be the runs, so sorry this happened when you were away. I hope he feels better, but I bet you he want be doing it again.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest Tenderhearts

I must confess, I have not had one consume Bag Balm here, although I'm sure there are a thousand other items they have consumed here :blink:

I suspect Ryan may be doing a lot of cleaning! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Guest Winterwish

It does contain tiny amounts of petroleum. One thing you probably are doing this already,but I wouldn't give something to relieve the diarrhea. That way it can get out.

Unless the vet says otherwise,I'd try to push his drinking water if you (or Ryan) can to flush his system ifyou can.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest MnMDogs
Dreamer could not have any bag balm put on his paw pads because he'd lick it off and it made him sick with the runs,even became somewhat listless,andhe only had the bit that was on his pads. We did go to the vet,and stayed under observation for about 2 hours until he seemed more himself again.

(I just stopped using it altogether. altho'--my grey was very susceptable to reactions like this with things taken by mouth)

Gee half a can...maybe the vet will have a clear treatment?

It does contain petroleum,which is toxic of course. One thing you probably are doing this already,but I wouldn't give something to relieve the diarrhea. That way it can get out.

Unless the vet says otherwise,I'd try to push his drinking water if you (or Ryan) can.

I was thinking Metamucil wafers might help? To kind of bind up the liquid - but definitely not imodium, as he definitely needs to get it out. The vet had Ryan call poison control as well, and they said it isn't toxic - even with the petroleum. I'm assuming because not a significant amount is being absorbed? Mork seems to be very hardy, and has eaten all sorts of things when least expected. So I guess we're lucky in that regard.

What do you think about the metamucil to help bind?

Guest Winterwish

I don't think I'd give anything at all really but fluids. It's probably the lanolin that makes it just run out,so just as well,you know?

Edited by Winterwish

Guest MnMDogs

Well, it is definitely coming out...leaking out quite freely apparently. So he is being walked to hopefully clean him out faster, and he will be wearing a lovely pair of sweat shorts tonight.

What I don't get, is how on earth can bag balm taste good?!?!

Guest Winterwish

WellI don't knowif it actually tastes good as much as it's a natural product,a product from sheep.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest houndlover
Well, it is definitely coming out...leaking out quite freely apparently. So he is being walked to hopefully clean him out faster, and he will be wearing a lovely pair of sweat shorts tonight.

I can't imagine that it tastes good either.....YUCK! Do you think that maybe Mork got into that b/c you have been gone for a few days?

Sounds like you owe Ryan big time when you get home. :lol

I hope that Mork feels better tomorrow...poor little thing. :dogcookie

It's mostly vaseline with a bit of lanolin and sulfa.

Don't envy Ryan. Yikes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The petroleum jelly base is safe enough (Robert Cheesebrough, the guy who patented Vaseline, reportedly ate it by the tablespoon daily, and lived to the age of 96), as is the lanolin. The 8-hydroxyquinoline (0.3% in Bag Balm) has a very high LD50 in mice- no data for dogs, but at 0.3%, he'd have to eat several kilograms to be in danger from the 8HQ alone.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh, poor baby! Yuck. No one's eaten Bag Balm here, but my DD got into the container when she was about two and smeared it all over her little self! Washing her off was like handling a little greased piggy! She was quite pleased with herself! Oh, and BB does NOT wash out of clothing!

Guest Sassy

Then again, they will eat poop... :wacko: Which we don't see as very appetizing... :sick

Guest MnMDogs

Thanks for all the replies everyone. We now know it's completely safe (and perhaps even a health tonic as ahicks implied), and Ryan reported that he was very happy and spunky on his walk last night. However, we may have lost the chair to the leaking bum. So, the one piece of furniture they were allowed on is no more.

I definitely owe Ryan. Last time I was gone - just 5 weeks ago - either Matty or Mork (or both) had explosive diarrhea the day before and the day I returned. Of course on the small amount of carpet we have, not the tile.

Mork was probably bored, and on a food hunt yesterday. So it's most likely because I'm gone since I work from home and am with them all day.

The visual of a little baby covered in this stuff just made me crack up...

I guess that is what you get for leaving him! :lol

That Mork is such a character. :wub:

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey