Strange Hick-ups

Guest Jordan7

Guest Jordan7

Hi,

About 1-2 times a week Trev gets a spell of wierd hick-up type things! (Really hard to explain) It's like a cross between hickups and looking like he's going to be sick. They only last a minute or two but im curious as to what it is!

When it's happening, the adams apple in his throat moves up and down. He doesn't look bothered or stressed at all but I'd just like to know if anyone else's greyhound has the same?

Any ideas?

Thanks! :huh

Probably reverse sneezing. In our house, it's a normal occurrence, esp. if they've snorted something (like snow, or cookie crumbs).

It's a normal dog thing :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

it could just be reverse sneezing, but does it happen after he eats something? Holly tends to inhale treats sometimes and she will do something very similar. I rub her throat until she is swallowing normally again.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Reverse sneezing is noisy. If this is silent, or almost so, it's probably not that.

Renie bolts her food and will sometimes do this, especially with kibble. Sometimes she'll gack a bit up. I think it's when they eat so fast, it gets packed in the oesophagus and needs a little extra help to get down. :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Jordan7

Yeah sometimes it is after he eats (and he does eat really quick!!) so i guess it could be that. Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty sure it's nothing I should be worrying about as he doesn't seem bothered about it.

Whilst on the topic - is there anything that can stop them eating so fast?

I've heard some people put a big (as in way too big to eat) rock or two in the bowl to slow them down. The bundt pan thing may work the same way. Or, if he's eating fast because he doesn't want other dogs to get his food, feeding him seperately may help.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

With my first Greyhound - Swanky - I put 2 big rocks in his bowl. Big enough that there was no way he could swallow them. It worked great.

Guest greyvettech

Sounds like reverse sneezing...(I see most everyone agrees..lol).If so, it's nothing to worry about but then again, if it is reverse sneezing, it shouldn't be happening a lot... but 1-2 times a week isn't that much...

Edited by greyvettech

Unless it sounds like a really loud, drawn-out snort, it isn't reverse sneezing. Could be honest-to-goodness hiccups. My Zema gets them from time to time. Very like people hiccups. They usually go away in a few minutes but once she had them for an hour or two.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gomiesmom

..... you can get a bowl that is supposed to slow down eating at handicappedpets.ciom. It has built in "nubbies" in the bottom so they will have to eat around them. I considered ordering, but my guy & gal have settled down ( I tried a can,like of pumpkin or something in the center of the bowl, that didn't work for us) , so I was going to order, but then they slowed down. They do eat within sight of each other, but not exactly in close proximity,and I think that helped.