Obsessd With Drinking Water

Guest jen_smith97

Guest jen_smith97

I have a grey who is 5 years old and is crazy obsessed with drinking water. He seeks it out when we are outside and I've adjusted living conditions so he can't get ti the toilet, bathtub or standing water in plants. The last few days he doesn't seem to be eating much. His only focus is drinking. Does anyone have any experience with a grey like this? I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to make sure he doesn't have an infection. Nothing has changed as far as food or scheduling to make him "not" want to eat. thanks

jen

scout and riley with grammar at the bridge

Guest sheila

vet visit is a good idea. Sometime the obsessive drinking can be a sign of diabetes. I would take a pee sample in from the first of the morning pee when the pee is most concentrated. If you can't get the sample in right away you can put it in the fridge. The vet might also want to do some blood work if nothing shows up in the pee tests.

I brought one of my boys in for the very same problem and was thinking diabetes. His urine had no color to it at all. Turned out to be his kidneys and with meds and the KD diet, he was fine. Let us know what the vet has to say, it really should be checked.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest jen_smith97
I brought one of my boys in for the very same problem and was thinking diabetes. His urine had no color to it at all. Turned out to be his kidneys and with meds and the KD diet, he was fine. Let us know what the vet has to say, it really should be checked.

what food do you use? I am taking him in the morning to see the vet.

what food do you use? I am taking him in the morning to see the vet.

Science Diet "KD" for kidney disease. There's another kidney diet I believe it's by Purina which may be a little less expensive. But I would take the suggestion of the vet. That's what I did.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

That's the exact thing that happened to my non-Grey.

He ate Hill's K/D for the rest of his life and did just fine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My Ridgeback had similar symptoms and it was kidney disease. Suggest vet visit with-a-quickness. Praying for good news. :goodluck:hope

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Could be any number of things including diabetes insipidus, your old "psychogenic polydipsia", nerves, upset tummy...Hope you can get to the bottom of it easily. Is the urine concentrating?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire