Shaking Legs

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

We adopted a senior boy about 2 weeks ago. This is our first senior and we are quite inexperienced with older dogs. He will be 10 in May.

He was out palying with our younger boy in the yard today. They ran a little although not full speed, play bowed, and Cole(the old boy) did a little jumping. When we went to take him back in, his back legs were shaking really badly. I just wondered if that's normal? If it's his age? Should we not let him romp around the yard? Does he need to go to the vet?

All of my dogs are seniors, and have been seniors. And most of them do that. Maybe he just has not had the opportunity to exercise like that. It's like us when we're out of shape and decide to exercise, we can get a little shaky. I would hope it's nothing more than that.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I've seen that too in older hounds. Wouldn't worry about it. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

It sounds like a strained muscle. Although, I have not seen that happen with my Polli (age 9), I would proably think that's what it is.

Like Cbudshome said, when we are out of shape and excercise we quiver, so do they.

Start with regualar walks, lengthen them and then add runs to build him up.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

yep, I tend to think of it as normal, age-related. it can't hurt to put him on supplements...glucosamine, msm...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

If that's his only symptom, the answer is simple: Too much exercise at one time. If he hasn't been active for awhile, you'll want to build him up to running and playing gradually. Some leash walks would be good, short games of fetch, playing with your younger dog *after* the younger dog has had a good run and is fairly tired.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LokisMom
If that's his only symptom, the answer is simple: Too much exercise at one time. If he hasn't been active for awhile, you'll want to build him up to running and playing gradually. Some leash walks would be good, short games of fetch, playing with your younger dog *after* the younger dog has had a good run and is fairly tired.

Thank you all for the responses. We are going to start working on his stamina. We're not sure how active he was at his last home but know he was an only dog so may have been less playful there.

Again, thank you.