Otis Is Not Doing Well Update

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

This a.m. Otis, who is on Cipro for an infection, and who was holding his own, cried out when I put on his belly band. I thought he was being a baby and I went and did my errands. I came home one hour later and Otis would cry if I got within one foot of him. He just wimpered with the occasional GSOD. His back legs were trembling and he was panting.

I took him to the Vet and on the way there realized Otis would not lay down...it hurt too much.

The Vet took an xray and said he had a slipped disc. They gave him a IV shot of steroids and a Tramadol about noon. I will be giving him Tramadol and Pred for a while.......We got home and thank heavens I have a ramp....or I could not have gotten him out of the SUV.

I have had him home for about two and a half hours and he is still in pain. He doesnt want to lie down and he is panting...he just is standing in one spot on his bed. He heart rate is 140 - 160 bpm. I called the E.R. clinic and she said she wasnt too worried about the heart rate...but it was obvious he was in pain.

I am trying to wait for the steroid injection to start working. or SOMETHING. She said I could give him a Tramadol at bedtime. I cannot stand to see him hurting like this.

He just laid down.......He is sound asleep....I hope he can sleep for awhile. Poor Otis. I dont handle this kind of stuff very well....I mean I am sitting here just watching him and worrying.

The E.R. clinic says if he continues to be in pain, to bring him in. I dont want to over react.....and I want to give the drugs time.....Why does this stuff happen on the weekends? ALWAYS??

He is peeing and pooping...ate breakfast and drank water.

Any advice or suggestions?? Has anyone gone through back problems? Does it take awhile for meds to kick in?

Edited by WarmheartedPups

The back problems our whippet has had took a couple days of rest and meds to help much, and a couple weeks to resolve completely.

Burpdog could tell you more about how much Tramadol you can give when.

I'm so sorry Otis is hurting -- not fair for a sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When I ended up at the e-vet because my boy had bone spurs, he was pacing, crying and hanging his head way down low. His nose was almost touching the floor. They gave him a shot of etogesic(spell?) and it took about 25 min for him to relax enough to be able to lay down. I remember the vet telling me he must feel like he broke his neck. I also was giving him 100mg of Tramadol twice a day.He slept comfotable that night but it seemed like forever for the pain meds to kick in, but it was about 25 min. Hope your boy feels better and more comfortable soon

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Many vets underdose tramadol. You should be able to give him 100mg at a time if he is in so much pain. Can you call them? 100mg every 4 hours would not be excessive for his injury.

Other option is acupuncture vet that will come to the house. When Rob Roy and Austin had their spat, I had the same problem with Rob Roy. Fortunately both vets came out to the house and he received treatments and was able to lay down after that.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Many vets underdose tramadol. You should be able to give him 100mg at a time if he is in so much pain. Can you call them? 100mg every 4 hours would not be excessive for his injury.

Other option is acupuncture vet that will come to the house. When Rob Roy and Austin had their spat, I had the same problem with Rob Roy. Fortunately both vets came out to the house and he received treatments and was able to lay down after that.

From reading on this site, it does seem like vets underdose Tramadol. Why is that?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest Tenderhearts

That steroid injection should be kicking in soon. Limit his activity as much as possible.

I've had two dogs with disc issues and it's so hard to see them hurting. :grouphug

Lots of prayers for Otis! :hope :hope hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan has had a recurrent neck injury (4 instances over 9 years). xrays have been negative. The Vet has concluded it's muscular. Very similar symptoms to what you describe. He'd stand there shaking and panting. I keep prednisone, diazepam and neurotin on hand to give to him if it happens again.

To give you an idea for dosing, for bone pain, Alex was given up to 100 mg. 4 x day of tramadol. He was 85 lbs. He was also taking Rimadyl and neurotin.

I highly recommend the neurotin, especially in combination with other pain meds.

Guest WarmheartedPups

Why did my Vet only give me 50 mg of Tramadol B.I.D.??? They are closed and I cannot call.

Otis is on an antibiotic, Cipro and Prednisone and pepcid AC....could that be the reason his Tramadol dose is lower?

The vet is likely not 'under dosing' the Tramadol. Too much pain killer could result in the dog feeling too good and injuring himself while under the effects of the pain reliever. Be careful about medicating without advice from your vet. The vets have reasons for proceeding with lower dosages to start.

Guest greyt2love

Poor Otis ! I feel so bad for you bein in pain. Sleep if you can, listen to your momma, and get better soon ! We older men need to take special care of our selfs.

Your Friend - 10 years old, same as you-

Rex

Sugar has delt with back issues for about the last 6 months. When she has a really bad spell (the worst was the day before Thanksgiving :rolleyes: she could barely stand, couldn't walk at all) both the ER vet and my vet said she could have 1-2 50 mg Tramadol, 3-4 times a day. She was also put on pred. I gave her 1 Tramadol 4 times a day for the first few days. It took her a couple of days (2-3?) to really start to feel better. Acupuncture has helped, also Adequan shots. I can see the concern about them feeling better and reinjuring, but for the first few days, getting the pain under control is more important. Just my :2c , not a vet!

Hoping poor Otis feels better soon!

Guest WarmheartedPups

He doesnt want his dinner....drinking lots of water and panting. He slept for about 45 minutes this afternoon.

I keep hoping he will sleep.

Should I try to make him eat something?

I am so sorry he is in pain. How did this happen?

Hugs and prayers for a painless night for your baby.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest grey_dreams

Poor Otis! I'm so sorry, can tell how heartwrenching it must be to see your baby in pain. I wish that the vet's would have given more pain relief. Hoping that Otis will sleep and eat well and get better soon. :hope:candle:grouphug

I am no vet, and I respect what Cynthia said, but sounds like he's really hurting. More Tramadol will NOT hurt him but WILL help the pain. Poor guy needs to be comfortable...and so do you.I'm in the medical field and yes, I know it may be different with dogs, but Tramadol is a very safe drug. I know you said your vet was closed so I just talked to my vet just to be sure of my statement about Tramadol being a very safe drug.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest GiJenn51

Linda-- check with your vet about some benedryl with the Tramadol. I wouldn't force him to eat. He should be OK without a meal, but they do sleep better on a big fat belly! I hope he gets some rest tonight. :bighug

Guest 2Brindles

Poor baby! I hope the medicine starts working for him and I hope he feels better soon. Sending prayers. :bighug I know it's hard to see them hurting. :cry1

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Our Vet started on Alex on a lower dose too. It was increased as his pain level increased.

Just FYI - while panting is usually a sign of pain, My boy Morgan can't tolerate opiates (inlcuding Tramadol). He pants and paces. It took us almost a week after his amputation to realize it was a reaction to medication instead of pain. Just keep it in mind in case Otis gets more restless with increased Tramadol.

I am not a vet either but one of my dogs had a seizure from too much tramadol. (not a grey). ask your vet if you can give valium along with the other meds. That will help him relax and sleep.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜