I Did It, We're Going To The Vet

I called the vet and am taking Buddy in this afternoon, to get his hiney looked at.

Buddy's mystery "injury"

I was looking at it again this morning, and felt the area around it....like macoduck suggested, it seems to be in the area of an anal gland. At least, there are two "lumps" on either side of his anus, and the "injury" is right in the area of one of these lumps. And given that the area looks very "clean", I am not sure it was the result of a puncture....definitely a hole there, though. If it is an anal gland issue, he will need some antibiotics...and they said that untreated it would lead to larger problems...

I called the vet, they said it could indeed be a ruptured anal gland, and they are working him into the already-double-booked schedule. 3:40....I will just feel better to get him looked at.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

We are back. The vet did not think it was in any way related to his anal glands. She shaved the area and took a close look and said she thought it was caused by....get this....a tooth. -_- The prime suspect: Rascal. She tends to be a nipper, and Ruby pretty much couldn't be bothered....so I say it was Rascal.

I told my DH that we REALLY need to watch them when we put them outside...he tends not to. Either that or Miss Nippy can go out alone--or muzzled.

Buddy will be on antibiotics for two weeks, then go for a recheck to make sure it's healing nicely. Warm compresses a couple times a day, antibiotic ointment, and the vet also asked if I wanted an e-collar. I declined, as I already have one. Not that I will use it.

Anyone have any "panty" ideas?? I will have to come up with something to keep him from licking it.

I am thankful it wasn't anything worse, and that my checking account is only $64 lighter.

Oh boy...Cody Angelo had a rupture of his anal gland...and it was BAD! Although his was the size of a golf ball and he was a very sick boy with a pretty high fever and high WBC count. Sending prayers your way...update us when you can. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Poor Buddy, I think it's a good thing you brought him in. I'd try putting a pair of boxers on him, backwards, so that his tail goes through the opening that's in the front of the boxers.

the idea for the boxer shorts is a good one. Another idea to go along with that is to line the area of the shorts that is over the wound with a panty liner. That gives a self adhesive bit of padding to absorb any fluids and also provides another barrier to licking.

Poor Buddy. I guess a nip is better than a rupture. You could call him "sweet cheeks" since he's nip-a-licious.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poor Buddy, I think it's a good thing you brought him in. I'd try putting a pair of boxers on him, backwards, so that his tail goes through the opening that's in the front of the boxers.

We did that for Ace when she nicked her flank area (I think that's what you'd call it). We just had to safety pin the waist of the shorts to fit her :) Of course you have to take them off for potty time but that's usually pretty easy. Ace had silk boxers with dragons on them :lol Nice and flowy, they cover the area but also allow for good air circulation :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Oh, Buddy, will the humiliation never cease? First you've got everyone scrutinizing your heinie way more than you'd ever want or need, and now we suspect that your sister may have BITTEN YOU IN THE BUTT? You tell her to keep those toofers to herself or Uncle Doug will come up and give her a stern talking to. Which, come to think about it, she probably wouldn't mind all that much. Well, anyway, we're glad it isn't something more serious. Though antibiotics may clear up your problem, I hope your pride isn't too badly wounded.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'd try putting a pair of boxers on him, backwards, so that his tail goes through the opening that's in the front of the boxers.

And I would ask you to post a pic of that for educational purposes :P

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest Mommydog

Just looking at the pic in the other thread, and it reminded me that Joe had a very similar injury to that a while ago, and in pretty much the same place too. A little higher maybe, he saw a cat when were out walking and starting leaping about and swung his butt into the corner of a garden wall, that was quite deep too. So I don't know if you have anything like that which he could have injured himself on ? Or maybe it is a bite.

My Mum had a dog, Blackie, who had to have surgery on her leg, roundabout the knee area. Ordinairy knickers were'nt long enough to cover it, so she bought some really old-fashioned bloomers. The kind with frills round the bottom of the leg, and cut a hole for her tail :lol Perhaps Buddy would like a pair of those to wear :P Um' maybe not! :lol

Update: Well, we didn't have any boxer shorts around, and a call to my 23 yo son didn't turn any up either, but my son did get a good laugh out of it. So, (and I am ashamed to admit this) we used a pair of my 11 yo dd's undies. :blush I can say that Buddy's humiliation was now complete, poor guy. However, when I got up this morning, the undies were lying on the floor beside his bed. I guess we know what he thought of the girl's undies. So now it's off to Walmart to find some boxers.

Does anyone know what size I should buy?? :blink:

Buddy tolerated the warm compresses well last night--he was utterly exhausted by the vet visit, there was a beagle there, then a rottweiler, then the dreaded black lab as we were leaving--almost more than my greyhound-loving boy could handle. And I asked the vet to PLEASE not give us keflex, as it is SOOOO hard to get into him due to the stinkiness of that pill....so he is on Simplicef. A lot more expensive (almost as much as the visit cost!) but it will make my life and his easier.

Nancy, maybe send Doug on up here to give Rascal that talking-to....but like you say, she would be nothing but THRILLED to see him! :lol

The ones I put on Ace were a men's pair...probably a medium or a large. I wonder if a men's small would fit better in the waist while still giving some room in the butt (probably don't want the shorts RUBBING against the owie, just COVERING the owie). Go for the silky ones, IMO they work best.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--