Reverse Sneezing?

So this morning, Argos was inhaling his food as usual and suddenly stopped and started taking huge gasps in through his nose and out through his mouth. I figured he got a piece of kibble stuck in his throat and didn't worry, until it went on and on. I got really worried and took his food away, then called the vet. It started to slow down, and the vet tech told me it sounded like reverse sneezing. I am not up on medical jargon, so I had no idea what she was talking about. She told me to look it up on you tube - she said there are lots of examples. I'll be darned! That was freaky!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest ThreeGirlPack

First time Daiq did this it freaked me out. What I do now is grab a piece of bread and soak it it her water quickly and let her eat it. She usually stops after that.

Guest KateWantsaGrey

This actually happens to me sometimes, though only once or twice in a row. It happens if i've sneezed normally a few times and have to sneeze again but can't get enough air in to make a sneeze lol

First time Daiq did this it freaked me out. What I do now is grab a piece of bread and soak it it her water quickly and let her eat it. She usually stops after that.

Good idea. I'll remember that next time. He is so ridiculous eating his food, especially now that Charlie is with us. He's OBSESSED with finishing his food quickly so he can get to Charlie's bowl. I didn't soak it for as long today either, so I bet that's what caused it.

Thanks for the tip!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest houndlover

Mine do that too and it can be really scary. I would rather have them sneeze the normal way and have to clean up after them than to have to listen to them gasping for breath!

Kelsey does this and it seems to come in waves. I'll not see it happen for a while then suddenly it happens daily for a short period of time. It looks like it scares her a bit. :wub:

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.