Dee's Leg Is Hurting Her

Here we go again. Before Christmas, our vet said that Dee's constant chewing of her left hind leg could be an indicator of pain since it's obvious that she had broken it some time ago and it never set properly. I was giving her remadyl to see if that would help cut down on her discomfort and reduce the chewing.

At the same time, she was having major tummy troubles and gas, so we figured that she was allergic to the food she was eating and I switched her to proplan salmon. She's doing SO much better on the new food, tummy and fart-wise, and her itching did improve considerably.

But, her chewing on her left leg has gotten really bad again and I noticed this morning that when she stands, she puts as little weight as possible on that leg. She is not, however, limping noticeably - just a very slight limp that she's had since she came.

I guess I'm not asking for anything, just wanted some reassurance maybe.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Do you have a chiropractor near you? Sometimes nerve impingement can cause a tingling sensation, causing the dog to lick or chew a certain place.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks folks. I completely forgot about giving her gluc - I was before but not for the past while. Shoot. I'll get some more in the morning. I didn't get a chance to call the vet today, but I will tomorrow morning. I want him to have a look but that's just the paranoid me now.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

sending healing hugs to Dee! :bighug :bighug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest houndlover

Sending hugs for Dee. I would talk to the vet and see about having her looked at and possibly x-rays to be on the same side. Glucosime doesn't hurt either. All of my guys get some and it has really helped with limping issues due to arthritis.

Guest GreyFox

Poor Dee. I hope she feels better soon. I thinking getting her in to see the vet is a good idea (not paranoid - I would be doing the very same thing) - he/she might have some ideas about how the pain can be relieved. I hope the gluc helps. Dee is very lucky to be where she is ... she is getting tons of love and the best possible care (and every now and again, but maybe not so recently, a garbage pail smorgasbord!).

Sending prayers for Dee. I'd get an x-ray to relieve your mind and hopefully it's nothing serious. :grouphug

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

How is Dee today?

Not much of a change. Her appetite isn't great. Can't get hold of the vet today but I'm watching her like a hawk.