Acv For Allergies?

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

We pretty much shut down our all-breed boarding and now only do greyhounds and a handful of other breeds that we've boarded forever and just couldn't bear not to see anymore! One of those is a black lab mix named Daisy who has had AWFUL allergies and itchiness. Her owner has had her to the vet so many times and she's pretty much been on everything - different food, benadryl, prednisone...I can't even recall everything he's tried. There are times when when she's so itchy, she's rubbed all the fur off her face, legs and back :(

When her owner dropped her off a couple days ago, she looked AMAZING (We keep her about once a month). Most of her hair has grown back and her coat is nice and shiny. Mostly I notice the look of relief on her face! In the last few days I've noticed she doesn't itch or scratch anymore!

Her owner started giving her a bit of apple cider vinegar every day. That's it! I've never heard of using ACV for allergies, but in this case it seemed to work miracles. Anyone else have experience using ACV for allergies?

Guest lizmego

The Whole Dog Journal wrote an article about Apple Cidar Vinegar, but it was before my time that I subscribed to this magazine, so I can't get the entire article. You can purchase the article through the Whole Dog Journal website for $10, unless there is a subscriber on GT who has a past copy.

Whole Dog Journal, June 1999

(excerpt)

Apple Cider Vinegar

This age-old home remedy has many internal and external uses for dogs.

What’s new in holistic pet care? Try apple cider vinegar – or, as its fans call it, ACV. OK, it isn’t new, but this centuries-old product is enjoying new popularity in canine circles.

Those who are old enough remember when Dr. D.C. Jarvis of Vermont made apple cider vinegar a household word with his 1958 best seller, Folk Medicine. According to Jarvis, native Vermonters used cider vinegar to cure migraine headaches, arthritis, diabetes, obesity, indigestion, and a host of other ailments...

vinegar1.jpg

The most potent form of apple cider vinegar

is raw and unpasteurized. The brands that are

made from organic apples may be even better.

Edited by lizmego

Guest lizmego

Found this info on a website:

As written in an excellent, 1997 article by Wendy Volhard:

"...If your dog has itchy skin, the beginnings of a hot spot, incessantly washes its feet, has smelly ears, or is picky about his food, the application of ACV may change things around. For poor appetite, use it in the food - 1 tablespoon, two times a day for a 50 lb. dog. For itchy skin or beginning hot spots, put ACV into a spray bottle, part the hair and spray on. Any skin eruption will dry up in 24 hours and will save you having to shave the dog. If the skin is already broken, dilute ACV with an equal amount of water and spray on.

Taken internally, ACV is credited with maintaining the acid/alkaline balance of the digestive tract. To check your dog's pH balance, pick up some pH strips at the drug store, and first thing in the morning test the dog's urine. If it reads anywhere from 6.2 - 6.5, your dog's system is exactly where it should be. If it is 7.5 or higher, the diet you are feeding is too alkaline, and ACV will re-establish the correct balance.

If you have a dog that has clear, watery discharge from the eyes, a runny nose, or coughs with a liquid sound, use ACV in his or her food. One teaspoon twice a day for a 50 lb. dog will do the job.

After your weekly grooming sessions, use a few drops in his or her ears after cleaning them to avoid ear infections. Other uses for ACV are the prevention of muscle weakness, cramps, feeling the cold, calluses on elbows and hock joints, constipation, bruising too easily, pimples on skin surfaces, twitching of facial muscles, sore joints, arthritis and pus in the urine. There are also reports that it is useful in the prevention of bladder and kidney stones.

Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "

ETA: Dell sometimes has watery eyes, and I always thought it was due to seasonal allergies. I think I'll start him on the 1 teaspoon in his meal twice per day. and see how he does.

Edited by lizmego

Guest KennelMom

Well....(keep in mind this is a bachelor)...Daisy just drinks from one of the toilets at home so he said he pours "a bit" in there every day :lol:rolleyes: He wasn't sure how much to give. I can ask him when he picks her up to specify. I've been giving her about 1/2 a tablespoon on her food twice a day. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the bottle he gave me was unfiltered ACV. We always used filtered/pasteurized ACV in our dogs' raw diet...I wonder if that's why their coats always looked amazing on raw.

A friend of mine puts a tablespoon in his dog's food every day. She had terrible allergies until he started this. Not sure if it matters, but she's some sort of scent hound mix.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lizmego

I've been giving my three greys a teaspoon in every meal for about a week, and I have seen no negatives or positives. So I'm thinking that I'll finish off the bottle but not continue it in the future.

Has anyone else had any luck with ACV?

My middle daughter has eczema and in the winter time we have her take an occasional bath with ACV. She hates it and always complains that she smells like an easter egg. :lol But I have noticed a significant difference in her skin when we do this. We have also used ACV for our JRT on her skin allergies and she does well. I spray it on the JRT. I don't know if I could even get the kids to ever drink the stuff. :rolleyes:

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

It's interesting, and I've heard it recommended for both allergies and arthritis - in people at least.

However, though I have trouble with allergies, I'd be reluctant to try it myself. My ongoing problems with yeast began when I started drinking a lot of rough cider. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KennelMom
I've been giving my three greys a teaspoon in every meal for about a week, and I have seen no negatives or positives. So I'm thinking that I'll finish off the bottle but not continue it in the future.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but the ACV I was giving to the lab was unfiltered...maybe unpasturized too, I don't recall - it had a sediment at the bottom and I had to shake it before pouring. I read an article on a whole health website that said the distilled ACV won't have any health benefits. :dunno

Guest lizmego

I don't know if this makes a difference, but the ACV I was giving to the lab was unfiltered...maybe unpasturized too, I don't recall - it had a sediment at the bottom and I had to shake it before pouring. I read an article on a whole health website that said the distilled ACV won't have any health benefits. :dunno

That's the same kind I was using. the sediment inthe bottom and shaking it up. Maybe I should have given it more time to work? But I went through an entire bottle and didn't see much difference. Maybe my dogs are just so healthy that this type of remedy didn't show itself! :colgate

Oh yeah! I'm going to try this for Happy. I gave it a good trial once before for teeth, and general well-being, but saw no results. Happy has these little pimples, and a rashy area on her breastbone and elbows.... Excellent.

*adding ACV to shopping list*

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest vahoundlover

I've been using the unfiltered sediment in the bottom ACV in Buster, Curly's and Katies food...Buster's constant leaking eyes have dried up! :D I haven't noticed a difference in Katie's eyes.

For Curly, he goes thru periods where he is constantly rubbing his eyes, to the point of making them really sore...the vet says its allergies, the ACV in his food hasn't helped at all..I've tried mixing it with water and dabbing it around his eyes, I can't decide if that has helped him or not :dunno He is back on Benadryl :(

He did this in a matter of 5 hours.... I came home and put the ACV mixed half and half with water and dabbed it around his eyes, he left them alone and they healed...it just seems to wear off too quickly while I'm gone...and he's back to rubbing

WarmFebruaryDay002.jpg

Missy licks her feet constantly..I have tried to change foods to those with limited ingredients..with no change. I am not sure if this is an allergy or habit. The only problem is her feet. she does have arthritis and takes supplements. I am interested in trying ACV..would I be better off spraying it on her feet or putting it in her food? or both?

Hope, Wabi's right eye leaks a bit most of the time (her facial deformity, maybe pressure on her sinuses??). The vet gave me this steroidal ointment to put on twice a day to keep the skin from getting burnt, but I felt leery of steroids for her whole life.... So, I started using just Bag Balm, once a day, smeared on in the drippy area, and it words fine. No more itchy sore bald spots! :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.