Treatments (?) For Kidney Failure Diagnosis

Hi, Everyone!

This is my first post on this board and I really need some help and advice!

One of my (four!) greyhounds has just been diagnosed with kidney failure. We've got her on a home-cooked diet, an acid reducer, and some dietary supplements on the advice of our internist. Her values are extremely high (as in the vet was astounded Libby was still alive), but there's no structural anomalies on her ultrasound and no infection. She's still in great spirits overall and we want to keep her that way!

In doing some web research we/ve run across some holistic supplements at caninekidneyhealth.com (by Five Leaf Pet Pharmacy in Canada) that seems like a miracle cure if you can believe the testimonials. We were wondering if anyone has any experience with this program specifically, and homeopathic treatments in general. We're also investigating acupuncture and other non-traditional medicine.

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to posting here and talking about my greys!

greysmom :colgate

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks, Everyone!

Libby is doing OK for the moment. Her BUN is 156 and her creat is 52. We just got her urine sample back and she has no infection and her protein ratio isn't very high (I think 2.9 without getting the paper to look). She isn't getting any extra fluids as she's still drinking (and peeing!) and isn't dehydrated at all.

I'll check out the website, Madeara! Thanks again!

Mom!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest houndlover

My older boy, Billy, is early stage kidney disease and he has done great for the last couple of years with just being on a special diet. I don't know anything about the homeopathic types of treatment but would be very interested to know how it works if you end up trying it.

In doing some web research we/ve run across some holistic supplements at caninekidneyhealth.com (by Five Leaf Pet Pharmacy in Canada) that seems like a miracle cure if you can believe the testimonials. We were wondering if anyone has any experience with this program specifically, and homeopathic treatments in general. We're also investigating acupuncture and other non-traditional medicine.

I'm EXTREMELY skeptical of anything claiming to be a miracle cure for this disease. The particular one you're talking about always gets shot down by the moderators in the yahoo group. They claim the ingredients are things that kidney dogs should not have. For one example, parsley is a diuretic, yet is a part of that "miracle cure". I haven't done any research on it -- just relaying the info.

There is a Kidney list on Yahoo, very helpful site.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYS/

I second joining that group. I'm actually a member of this one, not the other, simply because I found out about it first. They talk about much more than diet.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9KIDNEYDIET/

My kidney dog is on a low phosphorus diet. She gets subcutaneous fluids daily. You should have your dog's blood pressure checked. Jazz's was quite high after diagnosis and this is a common problem with kidney disease. She is on 10mg of Benazepril twice daily and even with that her blood pressure is still a tad higher than I would like.