Histiocytoma On Tail?

Guest trevdog

Guest trevdog

Is it possible to get one of these on a tail? I noticed a bit of hair missing on Dallas' tail last night, upon further inspection it looks like a Histiocytoma. Not sure how long it's been there as she's very particular about her tail being interfered with but I don't recall it being there during her last bath 2 weekends ago. She has an appt Sat to get it checked out but if it's not that or needs to be surgically removed, how would that work? There doesn't seem to be much there to stitch together. It's about 3/4 the way down her tail.

Here's a pic....a bit dark but you can see it. It was pink last night but appeared more pale this morning.

Picture036.jpg

My boy actually had something that looked like that,, we had it removed at the advise of the Dr. I thought, oh, it's not hurting him, doesn't look "that" bad,,,,

hemagiosarcoma was the result! :jaw clean margins and nothing has reappeared anywhere else on his body!!

I was NOT prepared for the result of that test,,, this was more than 4 years ago, and my boy turns 14yrs old next month!!!

BTW, it healed fine, stitching the skin back together was ugly for a couple days and then the skin just came together and fur covers his whole tail!

GOOD LUCK!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest trevdog

Well, it's definitely a tumor of some kind, vet mentioned a few names but not one I recognized. He gave us some steroid drops to put on it to see if it shrinks or goes away within the next 2 weeks. If not or it gets larger he will remove it. He stated"there's not much there to stitch up skinwise" and he's pretty sure it will need to be removed, not too optimistic that it will go away on it's own. Hoping that doesn't mean partial tail removal......

Doesn't believe it's the bad kind, but will be sending it off to the lab if surgery is needed. So far it doesn't seem to have shrunk any in 3 days with meds.

If the vet is certain it's a histiocytoma then you don't have to do anything. Google it or search here on GT for more info. Gracie gets one in the exact same place on her rear foot. Vet reassured us is would go away within 3 months and it did. He also said it would come back one day and it did - a year later and in the same spot. Been there a month and is now shrinking. No meds needed if the dog doesn't chew or overly lick it damaging the surface, antibiotics if they do.

It can mimic a mast cell tumor, so let the vet check it. ;)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest trevdog

He didn't call it a histiocytoma, just said to try the drops to see if it goes away on it's own, otherwise he wants to remove it. It's very pale, almost white in color unless you manipulate it then it turns pink or dark pink. She only bothers it when we medicate it so far. The names he mentioned I didn't recognize, but Mast cell and hemangio came to my mind, though he reassured me it wasn't that, you never know....

We'll try a few more days of the drops and go from there. Just a really wierd location.

Edited by trevdog

Why didn't your vet aspirate the mass? If he/she isn't comfortable reading the slide they could always send it out to the lab. I think it's beneficial to have that done ahead of time because that way you know what type of tumor you are dealing with and how aggressive you need to be in surgery. JMHO B)

By the way--most vets can read histio and Mast cell slides--pretty easy cells to identify. :rolleyes:

Edited by tbhounds

Why didn't your vet aspirate the mass? If he/she isn't comfortable reading the slide they could always send it out to the lab. I think it's beneficial to have that done ahead of time because that way you know what type of tumor you are dealing with and how aggressive you need to be in surgery. JMHO B)

By the way--most vets can read histio and Mast cell slides--pretty easy cells to identify. :rolleyes:

That's just what I was thinking :nod.

We took Sophie to the vet recently with a lump on her behind and the vet did a fine needle aspirate, confirmed it was a histiocytoma and recommended we leave it alone to see if it goes away on its own. I don't think I'd have felt comfortable about leaving it without knowing what it was just in case it was something more sinister, such as a mast cell tumour.

My understanding is that you can't tell just by looking at these lumps exactly what they are so I'm not sure how your vet can "reassure" you that it's nothing nasty :dunno.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest trevdog

He's one of the grey vets in our area and has been practicing for over 30 years. I'd say half of his clients are greys. He's not really into aspirating, he prefers to remove such things all together at least in my past dealings with lumps and bumps at his office. I'm going to give it until Friday to start showing some improvement, if not we will be getting it removed next week.

He also said it would most likey be a solid mass, kind of like cake mix, whatever that means.

My 5 yr old greyhound got a pea sized lump that looks similar on the tip of his ear about 2 1/2 months ago. I wasn't concerned because it looked like a wart to me. But I had the vet look at it when I took him in for other things. She said bring him back in 4-6 weeks if it didn't resolve. It actually got bigger and so we returned to the vet. She said if it were somewhere else on the dog's body, she would just remove it, lickety-split. But since it was on his ear, it would require stiches, since ears bleed so easily, and therefore sedation. I passed. She eye-balled it very closely & said it was most likely a histiocytoma, benign, & would resolve on it's own. It's shrinking fast & will most likely be gone within a week or two.

So if your vet has a lot of experience and can say with confidence that it is likely harmless, then I wouldn't worry. Unless your greyhound was a senior, then I might do more.

I hope it goes away of its own accord... please keep us posted. :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest trevdog

Well, we went ahead and had the lump removed this morning as it had gotten bigger. Vet is pretty sure it was just a cyst of some sort, but is sending it off to the lab for testing to be safe. Just like he told me before it was a crumbly blob of something once he got in there. He didn't have much skin there to suture up, so the wound is partially open and she's sporting a full tail wrap. We go for a bandage change on Sat and he may have the results by then.

DH picked her up and I'm sure she's telling him all about it on the drive home and about how she missed her breakfast this morning.

I missed this thread originally and just saw your post today. Good thoughts are heading to FL for Dallas from me and Elphie!

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)