Dogs Attacking Seizuring Dogs

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

This is something I have been wondering about. I understand that dogs tend to attack seizuring dogs. But here is what I have been wondering. When Riley saw Henry have a grand mal, he just went and sat in the corner and looked very scared. If the owner is not home, do you think the non-seizuring dog would be apt to react differently? Or is the fact that the non seizuring dog did not attack when the owner was home a good indicator the non seizuring dog would not attack the seizuring dog is the owner wasnt home?

Gabby is my seizure dog, she has very quiet seizures, they almost look like she's stretching. In the 5 years I've had her, not once has any of the dogs attacked her while seizing. In fact, one day they all came running in the house, she was the first one...she stopped at the door, laid down & the seizure started, the others just stopped, stepped over her & kept going.

Edited by Snowy8

Jet does not always react the same when Ryan has a seizure.

This is what I would worry about. Maybe next time the seizure is slightly different so your dog reacts differently, especially if there's a possibility of him making noise.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

My close friend has a pack of eight. One of them is a seizure dog that has very big seizures. This boy is NEVER left out loose with the pack when no one is home. He goes into a special crate that has padding all around the sides to protect him should he seize while crated.

Not worth the risk in my opinion to leave something like this to chance. Perhaps you could babygate them apart?

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Icarus had petit mal seizures so we never did anything different to separate him from the others.

I could always tell he had a seizure when I got home because Atlas would be extra clingy to him and usually there would be a puddle of pee.

Aside from Atlas getting clingy to him, none of the others ever did anything or even noticed.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest EmilyAnne
My close friend has a pack of eight. One of them is a seizure dog that has very big seizures. This boy is NEVER left out loose with the pack when no one is home. He goes into a special crate that has padding all around the sides to protect him should he seize while crated.

Not worth the risk in my opinion to leave something like this to chance. Perhaps you could babygate them apart?

Carol Ann

Yeah this what we are currently doing. I was just curious as to how necessary it was. I'll play it safe and continue what I am doing, especially since our bedroom is very seizure safe. It is wall to wall mattress. B)

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I think that dogs in packs will attack a seizing dog but a single dog probably won't. They need that mob mentality to get going on attacking.